English Grades

t-comp-kierz

The thing with english exams, I found, is they asked you dumb questions, 'how did Steinbeck make Of Mice and Men more dramatic by using linguistic devices?' is an example. That doesn't make sense to me, so I sucked at english exams. However if you go and ask the f**king teacher how to get your head around the questions, you will be able to write something decent.

As for the quality of your english spelling and grammar, you should've been learning that from primary school. In the back of your head you probably know what you're doing wrong, so listen to that, and change it, take some time to do this.

Edited by Revolver

Spend time away from internet forums, mobile phones, speaking to people and any place where the uniformed masses can bombard you with their current, simplified version of what is apparently English.

It's not an overly prosperous time for our language so i don't envy you in your task.

English exams are about telling them what they want to hear in my experience. They want to read about how you've picked up on metaphors, similes, alliteration etc. However, when it comes to creative writing it is about accurate use of English combined with imagination and a good understanding of the use of those things mentioned above.

Ask your teacher for help, that is what they are paid for!

Also I would suggest reading more books, especially any that are on the suggested reading list (if your class has one) as it will help to increase your vocabulary, as well as your reading speed which definitely helps during the rush of exams like the Close Reading one.

Also get your hands on some practice papers and seriously sit down and try them without cheating as much as possible. The more practice you get the more you will understand what the marker is looking for and what words to use within your answer.

Edited by AndrewEH1

When I first joined this Forum a year or so ago, I didn't really take much notice to my grammar. But since I was slated for It, I'm sort of more cautious of It all. Silly or not.. It's the truth. :P

Regardless why you chose to take grammar more seriously, it really will stand you in good stead in the future. Whether it's essays and school work or uni or job applications, a good grounding in English will always be incredibly important and useful.

• Like 1

Spend time away from internet forums, mobile phones, speaking to people and any place where the uniformed masses can bombard you with their current, simplified version of what is apparently English.

Kids using text talk and such improves their English skills, as if they want to 'txt tlk', they need to decide where they can apply key binding, elision, etc., and still have it make sense. The problem is that not all teachers raise awareness about formality and where using text talk is appropriate or not.

If you're not already, use P-E-E-L when you answer your exam questions, make a Point, use Evidence by quoting the text to prove your point, Explain the quote and the point in more detail, and then Link it back to your question.

It makes it look like you've written loads, teachers and examiners love it alike, and it provides a simple, yet versatile structure to pretty much anything.

I'm doing English Language and Literature at college, and I love that shit, if you want drop me a pm and I'll try to help you out.

Kids using text talk and such improves their English skills, as if they want to 'txt tlk', they need to decide where they can apply key binding, elision, etc., and still have it make sense. The problem is that not all teachers raise awareness about formality and where using text talk is appropriate or not.

Im srsly nt cnvncd by tht. Text talk in anything other than texts is just plain lazy and really annoying... though, to be fair, I type properly in texts and use proper punctuation too. I truly hope it has no official place in the English language.

Related fact of the day: A few languages actually omit vowels, and what your brain places in are determined by what context you're reading it in. So if 'stmp n the bug' appeared in a pest control manual, you'd know it meant 'stomp on the bug' whereas in a trip to the post office it would be 'stamp in the bag'.

Reading a well interesting book about the right (creative) side of the brain and how those languages can encourage creativity by exercising the right side of the brain (which is what recognizing things as a whole, such as putting the components of facial expressions together to understand their meaning rather then the more clinical, facts and figures side of the brain that just sees an individual letter or curved lips).

Edited by Max Quinn

Related fact of the day: A few languages actually omit consonants vowels, and the vowels your brain places in are determined by what context you're reading it in. So if 'stmp n the bug' appeared in a pest control manual, you'd know it meant 'stomp on the bug' whereas in a trip to the post office it would be 'stamp in the bag'.

But yeah, it's pretty cool stuff :P