Using Water And Got Sticky Pistons?

AdamR28

So having your question answered twice isn't enough?

Read the instructions on the antifreeze bottle you have, and it'll tell you how to mix it, if at all.

Echo slaves leak because they've been around for less time, and as such have had less development time. And/or they suck.

3rd times a charm...

I was looking for a bit more scientific answer, like adams first post about pistons swelling up, ect.

I know HOW to mix antifreese, i was asking wether theres a specific ratio which trials riders use ^_^

There's usually 25ml~ of fluid in a HS33 (think that's for an uncut rear brake). In scientific terms, that's f**k all, so - for example - 60% of f**k all compared to 40% of f**k all isn't going to make much difference either way...

• Like 1

There's usually 25ml~ of fluid in a HS33 (think that's for an uncut rear brake). In scientific terms, that's f**k all, so - for example - 60% of f**k all compared to 40% of f**k all isn't going to make much difference either way...

*sigh* I use a bath/bucket bleed, so the ratio's are gunna be more acccurate.

Yet another stupid answer for a sensible question (Y)

*sigh* I use a bath/bucket bleed, so the ratio's are gunna be more acccurate.

Yet another stupid answer for a sensible question (Y)

How are you not getting this? It doesn't matter...

Actually f**k it. You need 43.5% antifreeze, 51.03% water and 5.47% unicorn semen for the perfect bleed. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Very intresting stuff.... i wonder if any of this changes using phat phluid? im sure its mainly water based but would the lubrication (part of the mix apparntly)aid the friction caused by swelling? i suppose as know one knows the exact mixture (apart from phat themselves) this would be dificult to answer... Anyone using it? worth the £12.00 or just us water/antifreeze...? :S

Very intresting stuff.... i wonder if any of this changes using phat phluid? im sure its mainly water based but would the lubrication (part of the mix apparntly)aid the friction caused by swelling? i suppose as know one knows the exact mixture (apart from phat themselves) this would be dificult to answer... Anyone using it? worth the £12.00 or just us water/antifreeze...? :S

Antifreeze also has lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, etc. in it too so it should still help out quite a bit anyway, in that their fluid is water-based in the same way a water/anti-freeze mix is?

Naah, that was a serious answer, it just required a bit more mental application to understand.

It was the stuff you posted after that caused the abuse.

WASN'T ME.

Nah, i just want a more scientific answer than 'dengs stuff leaks because he hasnt been manafacturing as long'.

How long you've been manafacturing doesnt directly affect the quality of your products (Y)

Let's see.

Deng's not made brakes as long. He probably can't just copy magura outright, it would be obvious.

He must then have a brake with different components, different sizes.

Magura have made brakes long enough to know the correct sizes to make pistons and seals. Obviously a mock-up would go a long way to help you get something close to the sizes you want. However, only when it is made and used over long term will you find out whether it will last.

It's the same reason cars - the vauxhall insignia for example - can be unreliable when they are new. They can hardly test how it will be in 10 years time, can they?

Let's see.

Deng's not made brakes as long. He probably can't just copy magura outright, it would be obvious.

He must then have a brake with different components, different sizes.

Magura have made brakes long enough to know the correct sizes to make pistons and seals. Obviously a mock-up would go a long way to help you get something close to the sizes you want. However, only when it is made and used over long term will you find out whether it will last.

It's the same reason cars - the vauxhall insignia for example - can be unreliable when they are new. They can hardly test how it will be in 10 years time, can they?

Well yes, but all rim brakes are gunna have the same setup :L

Id question what u mention about magura, they have had longer to perfect their design, but they SPECIFICALLY say not to water bleed (voids warrenty) so they're not gunna design their stuff to work on what they tell you not to use.....

im simply asking if someones looked into why Echo sl slave cylinders leak under a water bleed?

Oh are you one of the guys from the other thread who is against water bleeds?

Magura won't rate water because it isn't a 100% safe choice. As seen by the first post, water swells nylon, and water is also more sensetive to temperature which might cause issues for XC use.

Also the content of water can vary a lot.

Water is thinner than oil, it makes sense it might get out where oil doesn't.

Previous batches of echo brakes have had swarf left in the piston which causes leaking for all fluids.

Oh are you one of the guys from the other thread who is against water bleeds?

Magura won't rate water because it isn't a 100% safe choice. As seen by the first post, water swells nylon, and water is also more sensetive to temperature which might cause issues for XC use.

Also the content of water can vary a lot.

Water is thinner than oil, it makes sense it might get out where oil doesn't.

Previous batches of echo brakes have had swarf left in the piston which causes leaking for all fluids.

Nah, im all for water bleeds (Y) i swear by them :lol:

I'd just be nice to know why they dont work, and any get arounds :)