Can I Make Washer-Less Clamps? Yes I Can

dann2707

Hey Ho.

I've recently bought some clamps thinking they were washerless but as it turns out they are not - silly me :)

Well, anyway, would it be possible to make washer-less clamps just by filing the little tabs off the end?

Would it grip the slaves ok?

Any one with past experience please let me know how it turned out. These are the clamps in question, cheers.

2011-11-09141305.jpg

Edited by dann2707

Ooh I should have mentioned, I already have all the washers (got about 8 pairs i've accumulated over the past year haha).

But I wanted to try the washerless design as it seems alot easier than fiddling about setting them up.

But thanks alot for the offer buddy (Y).

Righteo. Evening guys.

I sent my Dad away with my clamps and told him what needed doing at work. came back with them today after having them on the milling machine.

He didn't ask how much was removed but they seem absolutely perfect, just set it all up now.

The clamps after being milled.

2011-11-16174330-1.jpg

The inner diameter of the clamps now - and yes in the pic I know the tool isn't IN the hole, I found it difficult to hold tem in there whilst taking the pic but thats the ID. Just slid the caliper out to take the pic.

2011-11-16174703.jpg

The diameter of the slave cylinder. As you can see its much larger so the clamps WILL grab it.

2011-11-16174730.jpg

All on, absolutely love the idea of not having to wobble the cylinders back and forth up and down to get it square.

2011-11-16180217.jpg

2011-11-16180524.jpg

The money shot :P

2011-11-16182624.jpg

Can't wait to get riding again!!!

Edited by dann2707

just thinking, this should also give you more bolt in the frame and mean your less likely to strip the mounts :D

top job!

Although you're more likely to get the bolt to bottom out, meaning the pistons will slip.

Which, as a note for Dan, is why the pistons might slip if they do.