Foot Jam Tail Whips

kaybs41282

Right, after getting annoyed with learning some of the more basic moves (due to crap weather and darkness restricting me) I've decided to leap ahead onto these. I'm starting to get it and get get the frame around 3/4 way round until i become unstuck..., any tips?

I'm assuming pulling the front brake is cheating but is possibly advantageous when learning?

Edited by kaybs41282

Right, after getting annoyed with learning some of the more basic moves (due to crap weather and darkness restricting me) I've decided to leap ahead onto these. I'm starting to get it and get get the frame around 3/4 way round until i become unstuck..., any tips?

I'm assuming pulling the front brake is cheating but is possibly advantageous when learning?

I wouldn't say it's cheating, just using the bike you have to your advantage. Are you putting your foot over the frame (the BMX way) or endoing into it (the Danny Macaskill way)? But basically, if you're getting it that far round already, push into it more and commit to the leap back to the pedals.

if you can do it without the brake you'll learn the "correct" way with the foot over the toptube and having to jump into it. not to say you shouldn't endo into it but the other way is more usable in different places rather than just on the flat.

If you are getting it that far round just try and go into it with a bit more momentum and keep your weight fairly far forwards, keep watching the pedals and jump your feet onto them. it can take a while to get used to where the pedals are, I still suck at it!

I'm putting my foot over the top tube and kind of pulling the brake, putting my right foot on the wheel whilst kicking the frame with my left foot behind me (if that makes sense). How does the endo version work or is that what I'm doing?

Should I be doing anything with the front wheel before pulling the brake to add momentum?

Also, Ali what's the tail whip type move you do on the hex vid where you move as well as the frame?

Edited by kaybs41282

i dont know if this will nececcerily (spelling?) help you but when i do it, i really jump forwards, then while my left foot is coming over the frame i really kick the rear end round and pump the bars, i jump really high too so i land on the tyre when the frame has already gone round about 1/4 of the way.

the endo way is to do a 180 endo and mid-endo remove your right foot (if spinning to the left) and stand on the tyre, lift left leg over...

bike keeps going round, you stop and stand on the tyre,

hope this kinda helps you out

Pretty much, but he is doing them properly which is the main thing ;) I much prefer the look of them like that 'cos the original kick tends to look a bit more natural, your position on the front wheel looks more natural/relaxed, plus it means you can 'catch' it in a nicer way because of your body position. If you want to get into doing pivot ones it also helps you spin your natural way and make the best use of the momentum you get from kicking the back end round too.

• 2 months later...