2012 Zhi Team 26"

i like cunning stunts

Yeah, but generally not like this:

dox8p0.jpg

should i have added an aluminium frame?

i doubt thats caused by to many hooks, looks like a sky double disc, hooking a double disc 26 isnt that easy. i wouldnt be surprised if the owner had ever done and hooks on it, but then again i could be totally wrong lol

i doubt thats caused by to many hooks, looks like a sky double disc, hooking a double disc 26 isnt that easy. i wouldnt be surprised if the owner had ever done and hooks on it, but then again i could be totally wrong lol

It isn´t DD ;) It´s purple sky. http://www.tribalzine.com/IMG/jpg/Koxx_Purple_Sky_2010.jpg

Edited by ghostrider88

Dave, I'm confused.

Firstly, I'm not sure how the hell you worked out from that picture that it must have been built into a dual disc bike.

Secondly, surely the rear brake makes approximately f**k all difference when hooking, so being dual disc shouldn't really make any difference there.

Thirdly, does running a front disc rather than a rim brake rule them out or something? I mean, people seem to have them dialled brakeless and they look even smoother then, so it can't be the be-all and end-all.

Frooooom the top:

Like open in the weld area...

Simon is refering to the old Sky frames, a few of which broke like mine did where the head tube literally just splits open. I think we had 3-4 frames in total which did that. One was just in a box in the warehouse...

That particular one was mine, and it got hooked.

Dave, I'm confused.

Firstly, I'm not sure how the hell you worked out from that picture that it must have been built into a dual disc bike.

Secondly, surely the rear brake makes approximately f**k all difference when hooking, so being dual disc shouldn't really make any difference there.

Thirdly, does running a front disc rather than a rim brake rule them out or something? I mean, people seem to have them dialled brakeless and they look even smoother then, so it can't be the be-all and end-all.

Llike I said i could be wrong!

I guessed that it was double disc, but wrong colour, and regarding double disc 26 the spokes and wheels flex loads, compared with magura which makes them harder to hook!

I think hooking brakeless is going to put much more stress through the frame and forks, yea it may look smooth!

I still stand by what I said as to the crack I don't think that's caused by hooking

When it comes to hooking I think they are one of the more tricky moves to learn so the majority of riders don't do them so for the 4 frames they had back surely the odds that's all the 4 owners did loads of hooks with them is pretty slim, so it suggests that the crack was caused by stress from something else

I guessed that it was double disc, but wrong colour, and regarding double disc 26 the spokes and wheels flex loads, compared with magura which makes them harder to hook!

I think hooking brakeless is going to put much more stress through the frame and forks, yea it may look smooth!

I still stand by what I said as to the crack I don't think that's caused by hooking

When it comes to hooking I think they are one of the more tricky moves to learn so the majority of riders don't do them so for the 4 frames they had back surely the odds that's all the 4 owners did loads of hooks with them is pretty slim, so it suggests that the crack was caused by stress from something else

Right - going back to Simon's original point, the Sky frames were known to break - like mine did - through the head tube. This isn't caused by anything riding related. We had two frames break sitting in boxes. I think we had 4 or so, but I know other dealers around the world had frames returned which did the same thing to.

Right - going back to Simon's original point, the Sky frames were known to break - like mine did - through the head tube. This isn't caused by anything riding related. We had two frames break sitting in boxes. I think we had 4 or so, but I know other dealers around the world had frames returned which did the same thing to.

They might crack while headset beeing instaled?That´s what I would expect in such a weird case.What do you think M?

They might crack while headset beeing instaled?That´s what I would expect in such a weird case.What do you think M?

Mine wasn't cracked when the original headset on the bike was installed, and it wasn't cracked when I installed (and uninstalled) my Echo headset. I think temperature (and temperature changes) might be a factor, but judging from other information we've had I think it could be something to do with the actual manufacturing specifically of those head tubes - which is also un-related to the heat treatment used on them.

EDIT: This was Mark.

but judging from other information we've had I think it could be something to do with the actual manufacturing specifically of those head tubes - which is also un-related to the heat treatment used on them.

really? please explain...

That looks like post weld shrinkage to I.

dox8p0.jpg

there is going to have been alot of heat in the area outlined in red where the weld has been run over a previous weld, which is probably not a good idea anyway depending on the period between the 2 weld.

Coupled with the probably relatively strong part I have highlighted in yellow when it shrunk it would have 'peeled away' if you get me when it cooled.

my guess is this headtube is cast rather than forged?

Even if it was a riding related failure (which we know it isn't) it would be from heavy taps not hooks.

I'm confused. How do you hook ? The technique is surely the same with or without brakes, and if anything I would have thought with brakes would stress things more?

Im also confused as to how dd compared to maggy makes a hook harder. I get that you get more flex in spokes on braking but that would only be at the point you land on top on the rear wheel with the brake on = no real difference in actually making the move?

I'm confused. How do you hook ? The technique is surely the same with or without brakes, and if anything I would have thought with brakes would stress things more?

Im also confused as to how dd compared to maggy makes a hook harder. I get that you get more flex in spokes on braking but that would only be at the point you land on top on the rear wheel with the brake on = no real difference in actually making the move?

If you think about what happens to the frame and forks when u hook it might help, the headtubes being pulled apart, and the wheels not being locked can only allow the wheelbase to be flexed even more! Putting more stress through the headtube. When the wheels are locked the tyres are acting as anchor points stopping the amount of flex, with rim brakes the wheels won't move, with disc brakes the wheels will move a bit because of the flex from spokes etc..

It's probably just as easy to try and hook a double disc 26 then a magy if any local riders have them to see for yourself

I guess the difference will be more/less apparent dependant on technique?

With a brakeless hook it's almost an extension of rolling up the wall where as a lot of people (with brakes) seem to almost drop into the position and hang a bit, then give another load of force to get it up (or so she says). The latter will put the bike under lots more tension and probably snap forks etc far more than the way most people do them brakeless where the front wheel is almost constantly moving forward and the rest of the bike pivots round, rotating onto the wall rather than using the whole bike as a spring?