What Made You Into Bike Trials

trialsbeginner

Damon <3

Nahh in all seriousness I just wanted to do something different. Trials was an interesting looking sport and looked ace.

3 years since starting Im glad I did. Lots of my best mates Ive met through riding and I love the more technical approach trials requires.

Great people, great bikes and most importantly great fun.

• Like 1

I was like 12 years old and was in town during a arts festival. The local bike store was a major cannondale dealer. Libor Karas was sponsored by cannondale and did a trials demo in the middle of town. Next Christmas santa claus got me a cannondale f500 bike with cadd 2 frame. I was quick to replace parts with trials parts like maguras, raceface cranks small chain ring, IRC Gato tires, azonic bars, low seat. Been riding ever since.

Edited by Philly_Biker

I had an old Specialized Rockhopper and rode some cross country with it. Saw Tricks and Stunts with a mate one evening and straight away after we wanted to bunny hop. Ended up practising all night and managed to get up some curbs-result! It got more interesting and there was then a group of us that were always riding; a complete mix of DH riders, BMX etc, but some of us bought trials bikes. I ended up with a Martin Hawyes Giant and rode it for a few years before everything kind of faded away.

Now I've just got a new onza, some 10 years later and feeling that hunger again. Once most of the snow/ice is gone (live in Sweden) I shall be out and about in a heart beat.

i started when i got my first fulltime job when i were 16. because i never could afford a trials bike and make do on a 21" merida dakar, with 18 gears :D

i started on a steel ralegh hardtail jump bike i modified. then got a hawyes replica.

lost intrest due to my mates moving away and only neing able to ride with dh riders and dj riders. so started up freeriding and northshore, i built so much shore localy until the redrow housing tore it down all 20 tons of platforms :( three skips of it went.

then i moved onto 4x and going to chicksands alot.

with my new job last year i got a sc bike and now decided to get back onto the trials bike and compete whenever i can :D (never did before as i didnt drive) cant wait to go bracken rocks now

reading mbuk, i was into freeride/jumping/general bombing around on my chameleon and trials started catching my attention, mainly ashton and hawyesey.

at the same sort of i time i met my mate lex who was well into it, he had the old cannondale ashton frame with p-bone forks and racelines, i loved that bike! so i swapped out my bombers for some gt steel forks and got my self a bashguard and some tar lol.

the rest is history as they say

Me, I was one of them 10-12 year olds who you see on £70ish halfords bikes just di**ing about up and off stair sets and trying to do endos and wheelies. And building ramps in the backstreet out of a recycling box & some ply wood about a foot long (if it made a take off that was more shallow than ~60deg it'd do, kinda thing)

Then I move to senior school, got invovled with a run-on-a-shoestring MTB/XC school club which meant I started reading MBUK cos I wanted an expensive bike like the older lads (since I was on a different, but equally halfords bike) and saw an onza ad in that very first issue i bought. As luck would have it i'd just met this kid a year above me who could do even bigger wheelies and do more stupid stair drops (Matt i, if your reading this, you'll might a guessed this is you :P ) who I kept seeing around town.

He anounced he was getting a monty from the LBS, so seeing as the 'rents have been mototrialers for yonks, dropped hints and saved till I got a grey T-bird about summer 06. We met our mate gaz a bit later on and go away and meet peeps we'd a never met if we had if weren't in to bikes.

Odd that isn't it? Sorry for the paragraph but I'm sure a lot of people can relate to my story too.

Ciaran

I started off riding trail mtb, and downhill. then go a jump bike and did abit of that mixed with street and skatepark etc.

then i saw a kid in my town doing pedal kicks across a zebra crossing.. though ohh how can i do that. googled rear wheel bounces and it and it came up with trashzen. then googled trials bike etc. tried some tricks on my jump bike. then sold it and bought an onza zoot 2011, then it went from there really.

scince then i have sold the downhiller, the mtb, the jump bike and the zoot and now i have a real nice echo 24"

:D and thats my story. lol

• Like 2

Me, I was one of them 10-12 year olds who you see on £70ish halfords bikes just di**ing about up and off stair sets and trying to do endos and wheelies. And building ramps in the backstreet out of a recycling box & some ply wood about a foot long (if it made a take off that was more shallow than ~60deg it'd do, kinda thing)

Then I move to senior school, got invovled with a run-on-a-shoestring MTB/XC school club which meant I started reading MBUK cos I wanted an expensive bike like the older lads (since I was on a different, but equally halfords bike) and saw an onza ad in that very first issue i bought. As luck would have it i'd just met this kid a year above me who could do even bigger wheelies and do more stupid stair drops (Matt i, if your reading this, you'll might a guessed this is you :P ) who I kept seeing around town.

He anounced he was getting a monty from the LBS, so seeing as the 'rents have been mototrialers for yonks, dropped hints and saved till I got a grey T-bird about summer 06. We met our mate gaz a bit later on and go away and meet peeps we'd a never met if we had if weren't in to bikes.

Odd that isn't it? Sorry for the paragraph but I'm sure a lot of people can relate to my story too.

Ciaran

mines sorta similar, but i was on a £250 bmx gt slammer making ramps and stuff and of cardboard there was loads because of the fact i am an army kid and people moving all the time then i saw danny mac on youtube and got "inspired" so yeah, saved up some money and bought my self and onza t-bird 05 :)

I have been through all the bike categories there are so thought id give it a bash and have never rode a different bike without a seat since (Y) plus side chicks dig a bike with no seat because they cant get their head around why it hasn't got one Ryanoo

Edited by Ryanonza

When i was younger i had a yamaha qr50 motorbike, had so much fun on that racing my cousin at his farm, i out grew it and wanted something bigger. My dad knew about trials and his mates in the pub did it so he bought me a sherco. I was getting a load of lessons all the time off my mate who was a jolly good rider and he asked me if i wanted to try his bike trials bike. I'd seen someone on one at the sheffield indoor motorbike round and liked the look of it so borrowed it for a while, i loved it and end up buying it off him, an old 02 white t-mag. My mate still has the frame and bits, i'm tempted to buy it back.

And as they say, the rest is history.

Saw some guys in Dover when I was about 11 kicking up little rocks and watched them for pretty much a whole day. Never thought anything of it unill about 3 years later when I saw an Animal-Martyn Ashon show and decided I'd like to give it a go. About 2 months later i spotted a guy in the year above me at school riding a (well spec'd) Phase 1.1, instantly recognised the style of riding he was doing (showing off backhops at the bike sheds. I became mates with him and he changed to riding a Limey2, he already had another mate who rode on a Phase 1.3 (he was uber shit). I had stopped riding BMX and moved on to riding XC and DJ with him, eventually he enjoyed it more and the Onza was left sitting; then his mate stopped riding trials and so he wanted to sell the Onza, we joked that I was going to buy it (I had about £200 and his bike was maily all Hope bits) but after my birthday and xmas I had £400 and for some reason I managed to buy the best mates-rates deal in the world. i was stoked and wanted to try this techy riding, 3 days later I had snapped it. One day he showed me this new Danny Macaskill bloke and I realised I really didn't want my Onza anymore. Made the switch to a 2009 Fourplay, rode street with him, he eventually decided he wanted a street trials bike as well and ended up with an Urban. We pushed each other, met new people and realised that we no longer fitted in with 'normal' people due to the fact we tend to shout stuff like "I have just seen the sickest/dopest/craziest/smoothest looking line even if we are just walking around. And that's where I am today.

I was only expecting to write a para :lol:

Mine was a combo of reading MBUK and watching some local lads riding trials down the local shops one day.

Had to get in to it, so bought an old rigid Giant Boulder Alu off my mate, stuck some trials cranks on it and attempted to learn trials on the 21.5inch framed beast

And my bikes have never been any less shady since

Edited by Brettoll

well it started with the Danny macaskill videos. i got some info and found out that it was trial. I started to whatch more and more danny macaskill and I decided to rebuild one of my mountain bikes. it was a pretty small "Willier" that I put a rigid fork to, single speed it, removed the seat and the little "stump" and learnt backwheel hops. I whatched more and more trial videos and decided that i wanted to ride more "pure" trials. my parents bought me a real trial bike and that was a "2011 onza pro". and now I have been riding for about 3 months :)

My neighbour used to ride DH and trials years ago, i was out talkin to him a good 5/6 years ago and he told me about trials and showed me a few things, and since then ive been really into it ..was buggin my parents to get me a trials bike but they didnt budge! I had to do it on my old mtb's ..still fun but hard at the same time haha.

then 2009 i got my first trials and havent regretted it since, its the first thing ive really been good at ..and ive done a number of things :P

Love it