Rubbish! Echo Sl 2012 - 20" Rim

stunt man t

hi all,

so this is just a moan about the Echo SL 2012 20" rim i bought recently

i was expecting them to be made brilliantly as they cost a lot more then other rims but once i got it and looked closely at it it looks like a drunken 2 year old has taken the TR rim and used an angle grinder on it... take a look

IMG00148-20120415-2108.jpg

most of the holes are not even straight they have curves in the middle :blink:

the spoke holes arn't even in the centre and the grinded bits around the edges arn't even neat and it still has 'burs' hanging off it

(look at the last drilled hole and you can see a blob of metal)

IMG00149-20120415-2108.jpg

i should of just bought a TR rim and did it myself because thats what it looks like, and for the money i would of expected it to be made a lot better

But apparently there all like that so im going to keep it :D

im very disappointed to be honest

Rant over (Y)

Tarty bikes :)

i rang them and they said i could return it if i wanted to (Y)

but im going to keep it :lol:

Good service as always from the Tarty boys.

Just looked at my 2011 Echo SL 26" rims and they are beautifully manufactured so I can only presume they have moved production recently to the Midlands...

• Like 3

i could return it, they said i could, but its to much rastle and the next one might not be any better??

but it might be ;D. all you gotta go is pack it back up and take it to the post office. mail man does the rest lol.

don't settle for second best mate, I wouldn't put a poor quality £75 rim on my bike.

its worth a shot to see if you can get a better one. if not then at least you tried.

They're not brilliant rims to be honest. They're a right pain in the arse to build up and they have virtually no stability whatsoever. They're just way too wide for the stiffness they offer.

The older SL rims were a completely different story, not only were they significantly cheaper but had a unique design and were made to a higher standard - though to be fair no Echo rims will ever come close to the quality of say Inspired rims. I love building up Inspired rims, it's like the easiest job ever. Just tension the spokes evenly and you've got a perfect wheel.

In your shoes I think I'd be sending it back and asking it to be exchanged for a different make of rim all together. That looks like some seriously shoddy machining, there's no way I'd be happy paying more than about £15 for that. As others have said, it looks like they've started with a normal rim with circular holes in it, then tried to machine slots across it, only to miss the middle and leave some of the original holes exposed. I'd hope it's just a bad batch of them or something erm.gif.

• 4 months later...

Echo really need to get their ass in gear. Their previous edition of the SL rim was very nice and they've made some fine stuff in the past, so obviously they are perfectly capable of making quality parts if they really want to. I have personally experienced similar problems with Echo's products in the past, and I am surprised by the lack of attention to detail, tolerances and quality. A lot of us trials riders are tech-minded and this kind of omissions usually stand out like a sore thumb.

A rim like the one the OP bought is more likely to fail than a rim where the nipple holes are equidistant from the edges. In my rear Echo TR rim the weight-saving holes are not in the middle either.

Edited by Scoox

Topic is from April...

Just curious, have you Tarty guys already contacted Echo about this quality issue? As Echo's biggest retailer your voice will surely be heard and you could suggest the need for tighter tolerances, which of course would be good for everyone! Thanks