The Car Thread

MadManMike

Point 4 is a 'covering their arses' comment, they couldn't be bothered to take the cover off to check underneath, so of anything turns out to be awry is not their fault. Had the same thing with the sump guard on my Skoda.

I finally found some mojo to sort the Scirocco's bodywork, and now £10 worth of crap products has kicked me back to not wanting to look at bodywork ever again.

I spent Thursday night sanding the crap paint off my boot, then today I ground the rusty patches back to clean metal, filled the pitting that left then primed it up. Prepped it nicely getting the primer lovely and flat then tried to put some top-coat on. The paint I'd bought was complete and utter crap, it just spat all over it, spraying hugely fast/aggressively and yet not atomising properly. On top of that it was so thin that getting enough on to give a 'wet' coat (rather than just a load of unconnected spatter) made it run massively. The paint also went on really aerated. I'm pretty sure it's not a reaction, it's just full of air as if it's been whisked or something, I think it might be down to the hugely aggressive propellant but It's very odd, and basically ruins any chance of the paint being ok once I've flatted the runs out.

Oh, then to add insult to that, the masking tape I used left half of its self behind when I removed it and it's being bloody stubborn to remove. Great fun.

So yeah, one day wasted and my car looking no better than before. Brilliant, thanks Car Plan (the paint) and B&Q (the tape), I won't be buying anything from either of you again.

So, japfest is next Saturday, only just been payed so only just ordering 4x ball joint, 4x drop link and 2x trackrod ends. These havent been changed yet in the mr2's 15year life so the bolts will be f**ked, I have limited tools and no cash to buy more or pay labour and no days off between now and japfest. How likely am I to get it done? Haha

Small clip from Teesside last weekend , god damn love this sport :)

Great! Nicely controlled, good clipping points. I miss drifting a bit, it's so much fun. Love the feeling of constant acceleration you get in this sport because rather than being pulled to the side in corners, you're being pushed into your seat all the time. Also definitely a gateway to "proper" motorsport, nothing teaches car control better than drifting.

Came in here to post a picture of this sucker nobody is interested in. Got it rebuilt, should be worth about 120 extra ponies. Custom carbon-kevlar clutch and solid lightweight flywheel ordered, only 3 days to go before the comp. Got to love doing things at the very last moment. Not worried because we always make it in time but it kind of makes me wonder when my luck will run out...

tGJJ3tU.jpg

Got it rebuilt, should be worth about 120 extra ponies.

it kind of makes me wonder when my luck will run out...

Might I suggest that if you've been driving a 160bhp 3.0 m3 that your luck ran out a while ago :lol:

Hope it brings the car back to what you want it to be mate :) Looking forward to the next round of in-car vids!

Might I suggest that if you've been driving a 160bhp 3.0 m3 that your luck ran out a while ago :lol:

Hope it brings the car back to what you want it to be mate :) Looking forward to the next round of in-car vids!

It's an Evo so guessing the car had about 200bhp tops :) Definitely wouldn't outperform a 328. Thanks man :)

Bing yes, 4 new solenoids, seals replaced from literally rock solid to nice and soft, new pressure regulator, pump disc, diodes, cables and pistons :P So everything that was wrong with the previous unit :P

Edited by Greetings

Ah, I'd forgotten it was an Evo Alex. I guess with twin vanos that explains the epic lack of power when they fail

So, Mowgli and I went to Thruxton on Sunday to watch the BTCC. it seemed only right that we went in the A3 of course :)

If you look really closely, you can just about make out George Michael in the passenger seat, that was the music sorted for the drive there :lol:

A3292AB6-F12C-47A8-8AD4-8ECDC0B7CD84_zps

Could we look any more dodgy cruising down the A303 like this?

2102FE67-C7FC-4117-8E32-B08A29F622F4_zps

Parked up in the field, and seemed to get lots of attention from people walking into the paddock:

7C4A2960-AB20-4340-86DA-0D4FEE7BA236_zps

I came back later in the day, and found a family stood around having a good look at it.

''Look Michael, it's got a front spoiller just like the Touring cars''

''That's not a spoiler Mum, it's a proper plywood Splitter just like the Touring cars!''

Made my day :lol:

Within about 4 seconds of getting through the gates, i had 'wing envy' with an merc A45 demo car at the entrance. Interestingly simple wing mounting system on this one, although very secure still:

C9C026FE-DA0C-4153-A7A5-54C41E94150B_zps

BF17DF15-CEFD-4502-8C6F-E112C0B3225C_zps

44F2F8AF-149B-44D9-AC65-0D831B9547E3_zps

Lukey appeared to be enjoying himself:

27700EBA-F255-430F-847D-4EA500ED1D51_zps

My wing envy continued throughout the entire day!

E1574898-68F4-44EA-B9C8-A1EE43827263_zps

0EE5E356-1A55-4B38-8577-0533AF129634_zps

B0F39A2F-6A4C-4F70-9000-48B2E15884E0_zps

After all 3 races, instead of sitting in the traffic trying to leave, we headed back into the paddock, where all the cars were sat in the pitlane whilst the teams cleared away their kit. This gave us a good chance to have a real snoop around all the cars

Gorgeous seat in Matt Neals civic. I think I've seen one similar somewhere before....

CB564BD1-C9FC-401D-AF60-B9F2ABBC3FA7_zps

These things were an absolute work of art inside:

9E6D3C33-6F60-4745-8889-71F7DC24AE58_zps

Check out how the tunnel has been widened to allow a more central driving position for weight distribution:

E11C15E5-139A-432A-A782-E68A281CAEB5_zps

3B3651E3-600A-48A3-B9EA-0AE688D7C0BB_zps

All of them were just awesome:

62FB0CE8-A09C-4B98-905C-E3CE88ADFA85_zps

D028EF90-57EE-4301-A437-2989B2726723_zps

F49FD953-798B-4203-A5F9-104AA507373D_zps

I had a good look over Andy Jordans civic too, absolutely stunning in the flesh. The level of prep on all these cars is just fantastic.

Properly loved the stickers on the steering wheel too:

D66AD4A1-AA2E-473F-9A10-057BFC56590C_zps

So much so that I had a mess about with some spare stickers I found in my door pocket this evening :lol:

1492464F-9CF4-4D4A-9160-5A6BDE10819E_zps

Feeling well and truly in the mood for it, I went out for a proper thrash yesterday evening.

Bank holiday Monday, ~370bhp to lay down, through Dunlops finest road legal rubber, on Hampshires quiet country roads.....

What more could I possibly ask for?

6136DF5F-80C2-4439-A6B9-38444DDB30BC_zps

Just need a steering wheel hook now so I can hang the wheel on the wall along with my other 'artwork' :lol:

378F50D6-E66B-4A72-9D19-D5D8701E1ADC_zps

• Like 2

Car has a new bumper :D Statistically speaking, it'll be shattered to bits 5 days from now resulting in time penalties which could cost me points. Most new bumpers I've installed on that car last season were history after about 20 kilometers. Annoyingly, the one I mended out of 8 separate bits for fun is still going strong but I'm slowly getting fed up with pictures like this one in the media :D

http://www.newsauto.pl/rusza-cykl-ab-cup-federal-bmw-challenge/

0zUJ0Jz.jpg

How hard would it be to strip apart one of my coil overs and shorten the shock inside? It's on airbags and the shock bottoms out really early which means it doesn't go as low as id like it to?
The company i bought the system from will do the whole lot for £120, but being a mechanic id rather try myself! Has anyone serviced shocks or anything of the sort before?

Any turbo masters here? Back side of the turbine wheel is pretty scored, how much of an issue is this?

There's also some bizarrely tough corrosion/deposit that I can't seem to just scrape off. Any ideas for removing that?

My concern is that the turbo re-balancing place will refuse to balance it due it not being in tip top condition (which they seem to require).

And I really really don't want to shell out for a new turbine wheel because that'll cost more than I bought this turbo for. (TD04-15G)

post-29859-0-07028800-1399409362_thumb.j

post-29859-0-05178700-1399409487_thumb.j

Personally, I'd say that's f**ked.

In something that's going to spin at around 100000 rpm, I'd want it mint too.

Shaft and bearing face don't look that great, and I'd say the turbine damage is a result of thrust bearing failure and spinning on the back plate of the CHRA.

Usually, wheels are bead blasted when a turbo is rebuilt to get them like new again.