The Car Thread

MadManMike

The background to this is that the car spat a spark plug out and it's ruined the threads.

A garage locally has said they'll do it, but they won't give a price until I take the car there. I'm hesitant to take it there without a price. They apparently want to see "what state it's in".

I don't understand why they need to see it - it's not like an MOT where there could be other things wrong, it's literally just a stripped thread that needs tapping and helicoiling.

Any thoughts?

It's fair to say I have a distrust in garages, so maybe I'm being overly paranoid about it.

It'll still run fine on 3, just disconnect the injector.

I think they want to look at it first because they want to check what other issues there are - someone who drives a car with a loose spark plug generally probably hasn't done all the other work to a high standard, iyswim...

On 24/05/2020 at 5:18 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Fair enough, chucking £10 at a set of new plugs when doing such a job would always be worthwhile though!

Normally I would, but it was a freshly rebuilt engine, so I assumed they were new. On removal, they definitely weren't.

I did a spark test today, three out of four cylinders have intermittent spark, so I'm guessing it's either CAS, coil pack, bad ground or maybe even skipped a tooth?

More investigation needed, enthusiasm quickly draining.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a little update.... No idea when I last did.

Engine swap was haulted big time whilst we were all locked down due to my car being at my friends garage. Not ideal.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when were allowed to make non essential journeys (in my opinion working on your car is essential but not everyone agrees with me there... :D)

Without going through everything I've done, the new gearbox and engine is now in! Just a few more things to fit before the 'first start'. 

Currently waiting on silicone hoses and also an oil pressure switch.... (don't ask).

(not the best pictures, sorry)

20200617-073024-COLLAGE.jpg

8 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Is this a new place mate? I always thought you had a lift

That’s my own unit mate, only other places I’ve carried work out at have been the garage I work at and a mates garage in Keighley. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SamKidney said:

That’s my own unit mate, only other places I’ve carried work out at have been the garage I work at and a mates garage in Keighley. 

Awesome dude, didn't know you had your own unit! 

Honda mr2 news - goes in for mapping on Monday. 

With the 421 manifold, rbc inlet, filter I'm hoping for 220bhp ish (this is on a proper dyno not a tdi North 247bhp calibrated dyno) haha

• Like 2

I can't remember whos dyno it was, might have been MiniSports, but about 11 years ago anything that went on there came out at 98bhp :lol:

1300 multipoints with the JCW kit on at 98bhp, followed by a 998 with a stage one 1 kit and 12g940 head - 98bhp

4 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Awesome dude, didn't know you had your own unit! 

Honda mr2 news - goes in for mapping on Monday. 

With the 421 manifold, rbc inlet, filter I'm hoping for 220bhp ish (this is on a proper dyno not a tdi North 247bhp calibrated dyno) haha

Had it just over a year mate! Slowly starting to take off now which is nice, means it’s making money as against it being a bloody expensive storage solution. 

1653B224-DAB8-4B7E-B512-8C6DAB178868.thumb.jpeg.0d54ef99672c47934eb10159a52067d1.jpeg

Where are you taking to be mapped Dan? 

Chris @efi is supposed to know his stuff and his dyno produces some of the more realistic figures I’ve seen as of late. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SamKidney said:

Had it just over a year mate! Slowly starting to take off now which is nice, means it’s making money as against it being a bloody expensive storage solution. 

1653B224-DAB8-4B7E-B512-8C6DAB178868.thumb.jpeg.0d54ef99672c47934eb10159a52067d1.jpeg

Chris @efi is supposed to know his stuff and his dyno produces some of the more realistic figures I’ve seen as of late. 

Where abouts is it, Sam? Local to us East Morton-ers?

1 hour ago, SamKidney said:

For some reason I thought t that was the same place where you worked! Haha

Yeah I'm going to efi dude. Can't wait!