The Car Thread

MadManMike

You CAN fit them without needing anything else, its only when you drop it more than 40mm that you have issues (on anything but an LCR, S3, TT, or R32). Even if you bought the most expensive coilovers on the market, it would be exactly the same.

By the way Mike and Luke...have you bought new top mounts and bearing to go on when you change the suspension?

You CAN fit them without needing anything else, its only when you drop it more than 40mm that you have issues (on anything but an LCR, S3, TT, or R32). Even if you bought the most expensive coilovers on the market, it would be exactly the same.

By the way Mike and Luke...have you bought new top mounts and bearing to go on when you change the suspension?

I was told you can use the standard top mounts... Is that also an inaccuracy?

Yep and yep :)

Standard:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strut-Top-Mounts-Bearings-PAIR-Front-Left-or-Right-Mounting-Bushes-Bushing-NEW-/360490712953?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+IV&hash=item53eeebbf79

Cheaper than I thought!

LCR's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON-CUPRA-R-LCR-FRONT-SUSPENSION-TOP-MOUNT-AND-BEARING-STANDARD-UPRATED-/171009778691?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d0fa2403

If you ring Sere Motors direct, they will be cheaper than the ebay page. (Dave @ Sere is an AWESOME guy....literally never had such good customer service from anybody. He works at a Seat dealership which has won award after award for customer service).

If you're going to go for LCR mounts; make sure they are genuine, most aftermarket ones are just the same rubber as "normal" topmounts.

I don't get why they ever put the ARB over the shaft in the first place, mk2/3 Golfs always had it under the shaft, and the wishbone/subframe design's pretty much the same as the mk4, so why screw with the ARB when it worked just fine? Mk1s are even simpler, they don't even have drop links at all, it just bolts straight to the wishbone with a D shaped rubber mount, and that's faultless and surely it HAS to be cheaper to produce with several less parts. Reeks of the designers changing it and making up some BS in the board room to make it look like they're worth their wages :P

f**k knows.

But it makes me LOL that you, Prawn and myself know better than a design committee on one of the widest used suspension platforms in the world.

Something as simple as that is the easiest way to justify the idiots who say 'if the car could be better VAG would have mad it that way' about remaps.

Edited by Pashley26