The Car Thread

MadManMike

Both have the same engine. LCR has FWD, S3 has Quattro. S3 is more of a high spec rep mobile (heated heated leather recaros, bose speakers etc), the LCR is the more sporty one (Brembos, quick rack etc etc).

LCR will be faster due to less weight, but S3 will grip and handle better (out of the box) because of the Quattro and IRS. Depends what you want from the car really. Personally I much prefer the look of the Leon; it looks more sporty rather than an overweight version of its less powerful brother...in the case of the S3/A3.

S3's are total turd IMO, I have always disliked them.

If you want a 4WD, buy a 4WD. If you want a performance hatch back, buy a performance hatchback.

An S3 is a poor excuse for a performance hatchback and a poor excuse for an AWD system. All round it is one of the worst of each of its fields, but is strangely one of the only AWD "performance" hatchbacks.

LCR every time...until you get to 300bhp, then you can have a decent comparison.

Also Seamons, apart from the Brembos the S3 shares the same quick rack, hubs, lower arms etc as your LCR. It is only sportier by visual design (arguable), and being lighter.

Edited by Pashley26

Has anybody got experience with the BMW 1.8D engines, specifically the 07> ones that come in the E90?

There's no such thing. I presume you mean a 318d (which has a 2.0 litre engine - just detuned compared with the 320d)?

They have a pretty bad rep for complete failure (google swirl flap and DPF problems) yet they still command a huge premium over the petrol versions. Unless you're doing 20k miles/year or more it's very unlikely that a 318d will be more economical than a 320i. I have no first hand info though. Have you considered an e46? I'd love an e46 330ci or 330i touring.

My new theory on cars (and I'm sure this will change to suit my mood) is that it's far more environmentally-sound to buy an old/interesting car and love it, keep it well-maintained etc rather than something new / economical.

• Like 2

Sat waiting for Rainbizzle on the Moors so we can give his Leon a hit with the lowering stick.

I have decided I can't be arsed to help, so I am going to polish my car and change the MAP sensor instead haha.

So yeah, this happened. Big thanks to Phil Mill for his help, whilst Jardo stayed true to his word and played with his A3 instead :P

img1384wg.jpg

Rear is a tad lower than the front at the mo but going to leave it to settle before adjusting to level everything out - probably aim to bring the rear up to where the front is I'd imagine. Could do with some mild spacing all round too in an ideal world, but that's no biggy and certainly not important at the mo.

Really happy with the ride though - a little firmer but otherwise feels really similar to the standard setup in terms of feel. Stiffer but not even remotely crashy or harsh and better than expected. Feels much more planted and sticks through the corners better too. Seriously impressed for the money.

• Like 1

Based on what you said about stiffness, it sounds like I might be able to get away with going a little lower.

I plan to lower it, then hunt for some different wheels - the ones I have at the moment only cost £87 with good tyres and they're mint so I should be able to get £150+ for them - they seem to be going for about that on eBay. I'll look for some nice 17's I think.

You were. Black cc? Looked good man. Shame my car was such a mess :lol:

Saw some trials riders in Lincoln today, you all walked passed while me and the missus were sat eating a jacket potato outside the waterfront.

Yeah it was ridiculously dirty. I'm from newark mate, and rarely ride trials anymore haha. What coilovers are on your passat? Is the ride properly horendous at that height? I picked up some rotiform BLQ's really cheap so im considering putting them on temporarly

There's no such thing. I presume you mean a 318d (which has a 2.0 litre engine - just detuned compared with the 320d)?

They have a pretty bad rep for complete failure (google swirl flap and DPF problems) yet they still command a huge premium over the petrol versions. Unless you're doing 20k miles/year or more it's very unlikely that a 318d will be more economical than a 320i. I have no first hand info though. Have you considered an e46? I'd love an e46 330ci or 330i touring.

My new theory on cars (and I'm sure this will change to suit my mood) is that it's far more environmentally-sound to buy an old/interesting car and love it, keep it well-maintained etc rather than something new / economical.

It's not for me, it's for my parents to replace their B6 A4 1.9TDI as my brother wants it. I'm slowly convincing dad that he does not need a diesel anymore (they do 5k per year in each car but he's still adamant that its worth getting another diesel even after showing him that he won't save any money). He doesn't want another E46, we have a touring (with M-tech stuff on, some sort of limited edition) and it's just thoroughly disappointing in every possible way. Nothing about it is nice, they really dislike it which concerns me as the E90 looks rather similar inside... which pretty much leaves us with an A4 which I know they will be happy with as they really love their current one. Basically they don't really care for power, just a nice looking car with decent economy and plenty of comfort (dads 74 and mums 64) which rules out anything moderately fun :( I have tried suggesting other brands but dads pretty insistent that he wants either an Audi or a BMW

I agree with older/interesting think although they can be pretty high maintenance as rubbers perish and stuff, I'm still eyeing up getting a 944 to replace my 9-3 once it keels over.

Tt225, s3, Lcr, r32, some a3 Quattros etc etc

Car looks good bird, very nice. Not silly low. I like.

Shift light fitted the other day :)

only a simple unit with 4 LEDs, 3x blue leading up to the shift point and then a red LED at the shift point.

The blue lights come on at 200rpm intervals before the shift point. In this vid I had it set to 6800rpm so the first light comes on at 6.2k ish

a little clip, very slow gentle pull to show the light, not full throttle, and no gear change because I don't have 3 arms!

now set at 7100rpm :)

Took a few photos the other evenig and even experimented with Instagram, which as you can see, makes everything look silly :laugh: I won't bother again.

F4EAE64C-BE5F-4088-A98D-3F908880EF7B-372

5FE1F06F-8749-4EC9-9E98-C059CD95B773-372

F84DBB8C-C01F-41B7-BA69-DFE1EA2D5688-372

E8B8DC98-D1EA-46D0-AD43-A921A5AAED61-372

A376A2DE-4534-4351-815B-2E7B6F6C3CCE-372

The only issue is its now like a challenge every time I drive it to see how many lights I can get in each gear!

red light in 3rd is easy enough, any lights at all in 4th is a bit fast :lol:

Yeah it was ridiculously dirty. I'm from newark mate, and rarely ride trials anymore haha. What coilovers are on your passat? Is the ride properly horendous at that height? I picked up some rotiform BLQ's really cheap so im considering putting them on temporarly
Blq's look insane on cc's! Do it! It's on fk highsports,front about an inch left with helpers out, rears just the 1 adjuster in. Rides nice to be honest for a low car, I'm mega impressed with them.