The Car Thread

MadManMike

Cheers for the advice Jardo/ Adam, regarding shit discs; would i really notice that when cornering? It's a known problem with 3ltr Capri but i'd have thought it'd only really be noticeable when braking? I'll be swapping them for a Hi-Spec kit asap anyway so not too fussed.

Paul, that one bid better be you!!!

Also, write up number 2; http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27975

• Like 1

Are lowering springs any good? Or am I better off spending more and getting coil overs?

Whether the spring's mounted on a threaded turny thing doesn't make the blindest bit of difference to performance or comfort. Spring and damper rate and quality are what matter.

Jardo - saw your FB post about another rack. Assuming you have a home for it already but if not, hit me up ;)

It's kind of on the promise to Phil, but you're 2nd in line.

The one I got off you/the same guy you got your front ARB developed a terminal leak within 100 miles of fitting, and has cost me 6L of PAS fluid in the last month. And at £8 for 750ml, it ain't been cheap haha.

You can have the f**ked one for free, TPS will refurb it for £49+VAT.

Just seen this on Facebook...

1017260_10151516455531378_631257704_n.jp

lulwot?

How low do you want to go/budget? On standard dampers, meh, they'll be unmatched and may give crap ride. On a proper setup springs/dampers will likely be better than cheap coilies but cost more.

Edit; Purdon. Win.

It's only going to at lowered 30/40mm.

Would it be better getting lowering springs and better dampers?

Jesus, you should have said something! Want the guys details for a whine or general wear caused it?

If they are fully refurb-able that could certainly be an option though...

Didn't want to seem like a moaning bitch.

The rack is f**ked from my point of view, basically the seals were gone long before I got it. Chances are it has been sat for a long time, and as soon as it started getting use it just gave up.

When we fitted it and ran it up it didn't leak, turned it lock to lock with the wheels off the ground to bleed it, but as soon as the wheels were on the ground and it was having to actually work (IE by the time I got it home) it decided that whenever I turn left it wants to drop oil as quickly as I can put it in.

I did wonder if it was something we could have done during fitment, but I remember when I got it home and started cleaning it when I pulled the rod ends to count the turns the gaitor was wet. But I assumed it was from where I was cleaning and I must have spilt something on it. Not only that but we never actually touched the tie rods, it was adjusted from the outer track rods because the tie rods were totally seized.

Anyway, not to worry. I've got another one now anyway, far cheaper than that one was haha.

Edited by Pashley26

Cheers dude! I'm well excited to collect it, bit worried as I bought it blind so to speak.

Plans for when I get it home:

Clean it

Fix the dodgy NS window reg/motor/switch

Give it a full service and going over underneath

Fit fresh speakers and make a FG sub enclosure to go in the boot (something small and subtle)

Delete the rear wiper

Fit a remote central locking kit

Does anybody know where to buy those 7" headlamps with projectors built in? I can only find them in the states and they will be LHD, I may have to just make some.

Yeah I'll definitely be over George! Whats happening to your spare engine? I could see that making its way in this ;) Sarah is pretty angry I bought it, apparently wanting a practical estate and then buying a 924 isn't cool....

Got to admit, I do prefer the 944 but the higher cost of the car, the parts and the fuel just puts them out of my reach for the moment.

Sold the engine already I'm afraid (Well, taken a deposit, I haven't finished taking off all the bits I need yet!). Got £500 with the manifold, couldn't really turn that down!

Would be cool with a 1.8t in it though! I know of a couple for under £200, if that's of any interest to you? Not sure how far away they are though.

When are you back? We should get a takeaway or something. You'd have to come here though, I'm obviously pretty transportless at the moment! f**k Sarah, she'll come round to it eventually! :P Lauren is constantly in a grump with me because I "spend more time with that f**king car than you do with me (her)".

Nice one! 1.8T is just an idea, I need to investigate what it involves doing transmission wise first to see if its worthwhile. Sarahs just annoyed because its too cool, who can resist a brown interior?

Im back on the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how quickly we move our stuff into the new house.

Nice one! 1.8T is just an idea, I need to investigate what it involves doing transmission wise first to see if its worthwhile. Sarahs just annoyed because its too cool, who can resist a brown interior?

Im back on the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how quickly we move our stuff into the new house.

Just needs a pretty simple adapter plate and a slightly butchered Golf bell-housing. There's a build thread with all the info here

Cheers dude! I'm well excited to collect it, bit worried as I bought it blind so to speak.

Plans for when I get it home:

Clean it

Fix the dodgy NS window reg/motor/switch

Give it a full service and going over underneath

Fit fresh speakers and make a FG sub enclosure to go in the boot (something small and subtle)

Delete the rear wiper

Fit a remote central locking kit

Does anybody know where to buy those 7" headlamps with projectors built in? I can only find them in the states and they will be LHD, I may have to just make some.

A lot of US spec lights don't have a kick-up in the beam pattern, they're just a straight cut-off, so aren't actually left or right hand drive specific.

Also, congratulations on the first! and on buying an awesome Porsche. I do love a good brown interior, I'm still regularly tempted by 924/944s, just not sure about the practicality.

Edited by RobinJI

I know no-one will be able to give much advise but:

Today I crashed my poor poor X reg Yaris. Got cut up on the motorway- had a chance to go right into a motorcyclist or go hard on the brakes and cut left. So did that - started going sideways left so countered right, started coming back round but didn't want to head into the other lanes so bailed left off the motorway.I had managed to scrub most my speed and ended up hitting a tree on the banking. Luckily I was being follwed by a off duty policeman who said I did really well and most people would have caused a lot bigger accident so luckily dangerous driving and hitting other people etc isnt a problem.

Basically my excess is £300 and I can't imagine them giving me up more than £600 for the car. How easy is it to buy and fit a front end on a Yaris? The radiatior is leaking and dented and all fairings and crash bar will need replacing.

Just needs a pretty simple adapter plate and a slightly butchered Golf bell-housing. There's a build thread with all the info here

A lot of US spec lights don't have a kick-up in the beam pattern, they're just a straight cut-off, so aren't actually left or right hand drive specific.

Also, congratulations on the first! and on buying an awesome Porsche. I do love a good brown interior, I'm still regularly tempted by 924/944s, just not sure about the practicality.

Awesome, cheers Robin! I think that is certainly in the pipeline, not only more fun but also better on fuel, winner! Probably not so great on insurance though... but being 26, insurance is generally pretty alright for most things it seems

I didn't realise that about the US lights, I shall investigate further. Apparently the lights aren't so great (never driven with 7" lamps before) so i was wondering about an HID conversion (hence projectors) or upgrade the wiring and whack in some decent halogens. I just want to avoid being one of those douchebags who has stupidly bright lights that scatter everywhere, although luckily the cars so low that I think i'll only effect other people in silly little cars. I did wonder about getting some 7" housings and transplanting some bi-xenon projectors in, a bit like Seamons did with his Leon lights, i'll see what his look like first!

Do you know of any low cost upgrades that will be worth my while? Being a bit of a VAG boffin, I can only assume you do! Apart from a service, i'm leaving the engine alone as there isn't much you can do with these that is worthwhile (might as well save money/effort for the 1.8t). I'm wondering about break upgrades, but so far all I have seen is going 5 bolt from the 944, but that costs more than i'd like, or fitting Audi 100 brakes but that requires some machining. I was kinda hoping for an easy option thats simply a disc swap to a larger one, and then making a bracket for a new caliper

To be honest I don't have a clue about the brakes. I only knew about the engine swap because I was researching for using a 924 box in a silly project (which is on hold/cancelled until I've moved and found a new job.) I know a chap who dailies a 924 who I asked about it all, I'll see if he knows anything brake wise. I know the front suspension shares a lot with mk1 golfs, but being 4x108 none of the golf stuff's going to bolt up, plus the hub will be different to a golf because of being RWD, so I wouldn't know if the mounts are similar or not. Brembo's online catalog for replacement discs shows all the dimensions you'd need to see if stuff can fit. If you can fit a bigger disc to go on, and you don't mind making caliper brackets then you should be able to sort something out. I'd wait and see what it's like first though, I don't think the brakes on them are too bad to start with, and if it's just a more modern feel you want then you may be better playing with the servo and master cylinder than the calipers.

With 7" lights, as long as they're in decent condition most tend to be fine with relayed wiring and decent bulbs. The type that creates the beam pattern with the glass tend to have a very good beam pattern, much better than a lot of clear lensed 90's stuff IMO anyway.

Edited by RobinJI

I was meaning change them rather than literally 'play with' them, sorry, wasn't very clear about that!

A little googling's shown up that the lower arm's the same as a mk1 golf, and I know I've seen someone on retro-rides fit mk1 golf struts to one before without any real mods. I hear the rear end's basically the same as a super-beetle too. Not sure if that helps with anything though, unless you need a new lower-arm or bushes. I guess you may actually be able to fit mk1 golf hubs (with half a CV joint in there to hold the bearings in) and then just use golf brakes, it'd mean miss-matched PCD's front to rear though, unless you ran adapters at one end. 4x100's nice for wheel choice too.