The Car Thread

MadManMike

Terrible iPhone photos but I did some machine polishing today...paintwork has gone from looking tired and dirty to super bright and shiny! Only used cutting compound and then demon shine today, going to do some bodywork and painting upfront before I do a proper polish and seal.

2013-07-06134016_zps77056c2a.jpg

Tried to make the contrast/brightness better on this to show the difference...I failed...

porschehalfpolish_zps5f88f570.jpg

2013-07-06145632_zps7a1f1cb2.jpg

I also found an old speaker box and whacked my little sub in there, just need to trim the top cover to fit on top and it'll suit the boot nicely :P

2013-07-06092048_zpsd3fb325d.jpg

Still a billion jobs to do on it but it is slowly getting there

Really not helping my want for a 924/944 Paul! That's looking damn good.

This belongs to a guy I know (he's the reason I know anything about them!) pretty similar looking to yours, just the spoiler and stripes and a slight drop, all of which he's done:

551521_10152774051735593_334799289_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just some more pics and I'll shut up. Managed to get the rain wheels on today, they have a very small ET so had to reduce camber on the front, also installed some firmer springs on the rear and dropped the back end. Geometry wise it's roughly where I want it to be, hopefully I'll get this bloody AST kit the upcoming week, if not at least the car is ready for the next comp.

w84n.jpg

17n4.jpg

en15.jpg

lror.jpg

1ipe.jpg

5ocu.jpg

Edited by Greetings

Looking good, gents!

Stuck a set of aero wipers on the Leon this afternoon - need to tweak the nearside arm a touch to bring the passenger side blade inboard by an inch as is the norm with this mod, but it's not too bad so shall do that when I'm next around suitable kit to do it properly. Looks much better, but as I've not taken any pictures you'll just have to take my word for that :P

That looks pretty sweet, is the paint really as good as it looks in the photo?

I'm borrowing my girlfriends mums 5 series (need the boot space...) and noticed that it has some sort of weird brace system going on upfront, anybody else seen this type of arrangement?

2013-07-07163628_zps00699d8f.jpg

Also, sunroof out, windows down, radio loud. Freaking love the Porsche in this weather, even if my back is sweaty...

• Like 1

Spotted Prawn at GTi International today getting some impressive 1/4 miles times. A3's looking good too! My mate didn't believe me when I told him about the crash at Nurburgring!

It is looking good isn't it! I stopped in at his on my way home from Fleet a couple of weeks ago, with the fresh paint on it looks like a new car again. Any ideas what sort of times he was running? (My random stab in the dark's low to mid 13s)

An unusual question from me, because I normally just pressure-washer my car and call it a day, but it's looking pretty tired, and I've got some wax I want to try, so what would you body guys say I should do before applying a hard wax? Nothing expencive/too labour intensive, the paints shit so it's not worth it, I just want it to be more white again. It's generally looking a bit creamy and stained in places from working on it/covering lots of miles around farm-land. Would a good going over with something like SRP do the trick or would I want something more aggressive? Or even clay I suppose? Like I say, budget's low in terms of time and money. The wax I want to try will be a nice tip if it works as well as I'm hoping/expecting it will, so I'll show you guys the results, it's just a shame my cars not a colour that'll come up all lovely and shiny.

Edited by RobinJI

That looks pretty sweet, is the paint really as good as it looks in the photo?

No editing involved. The bonnet has stone chips, and the other side of the car has one big scratch, as if it was keyed or something. Other than that it is pretty tidy. :)

Edit: Robin, that sounds like more of a job for T-cut perhaps?

Edited by Pete.M

Cheers, t-cut's what I'd usually have used, I just wasn't sure if there was a better solution. Plus my paints pretty thin in places, so I don't want to cut it back too much. That's partly why I want to chuck a hard wax on there, to try and preserve it until I'm in a position to sort the paint out properly.

Also, you're Volvo's looking great, the wheels really suit it. I say lower it, but then I would :P

Oh, and Paul, those braces look like exactly the sort of thing manufacturers add as a last minute 'correction' when crash testing shows up less-than-perfect areas. Often on facelift/late model cars, where an aging model's dropping a bit behind the times in terms of crash safety.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Got a question to the racers out here. Are HANS clips compatible with all helmets? I have an OMP Star helmet and a friend is willing to lend me his HANS device for the upcoming comp. I really don't want to take part without a HANS device since the stage is f**king scary and I don't want to get a new helmet just yet since I'm saving up for a Simpson Diamondback. So only option is to buy the clips and install them if possible. Found no info in google about this.

Are HANS clips compatible with all helmets?

Unfortunately not - the helmet has to be built with the HANS system in mind, else the shell isn't thick enough at that point (and you can't just go drilling random holes in!).

I heard that fat-boys A3 was utterly useless and just spun its wheels half way up the strip and just scraped sub 14.

Tooo muccccch power, hopefully the bug won't have bitten and Prawn will realise drag racing is gay and stick to intelligent motorsport.

But what can I say, I wasn't even there haha.

Spotted Prawn at GTi International today getting some impressive 1/4 miles times. A3's looking good too! My mate didn't believe me when I told him about the crash at Nurburgring!

Exactly this, my mate thought I was talking about a different car.

I would have been sprinting today too trying to crack 13's (14.2 was my best) but my car decided to start smoking heavily on Saturday night after a days sprinting! Seems to have cleared itself up though, I'll keep my fingers crossed as it needs to get me back to Cornwall in a couple of days!

Edited by Jolfa

Yep, I do like Pilsdon Pen, awesome place, and some fun roads leading to/from it, just a shame all the hedges are so high so you have to keep the speed down for a lot of it :( I can't say I noticed a car breakers in view from there, but then there's about 6 different valleys you can see, so I wouldn't really know where to start. I'm pretty close by in Chard, only took about 15 minutes to get out there.

(Got any Sciroccos in? Preferably white? :P)