The Car Thread

MadManMike

All the effort is starting to pay off. Should get the white wheels on tomorrow, can't wait. Hoping the suspension will arrive shortly (no news about that) because I really don't want to spend time adjusting the piece of crap that's currently in the car. The minimum ride height with those shot springs on the rear is beyond ridiculous.

kq4b.jpg

xrn3.jpg

imfi.jpg

Wicked, That makes me more relieved, cheers

Hmmm, I wasn't. Got stung for 3points and a £60 fine for jumping a light in Macclesfield, when I was on the way to see our kid in hospital

Well, the other night I was crawling through an empty street at say, 5mph with a friend in a vehicle behind me. I wasn't paying much attention to my revs and stalled the car. As I needed to get out and talk to him anyway, I just put it in neutral, applied the handbrake and got out. The car continued to roll at a steady, as my handbrake didn't work as well as I was expecting, as soon as I noticed, I continued to walk alongside it and get back in. Since then, as above in the thread, I took the car off the road and did all the necessary work to it, including new brakes.

Guess who was pulled to arrange a police interview today? They're pursuing a dangerous driving charge I believe. Will find out at 3pm tomorrow. Not looking forward to this.

Only got 6 points to play with as I've not had it 2 years... I need my license as I live in the sticks - work is a 40 mile round trip, and the girlfriends is a 70 mile round trip. Add to that the fact she's going to be moving away for uni, therefore will be a 300 mile trip away. Even for stuff as simple as doing the shopping, I need it. Properly bricking it right now :(

No offence (love it when people write that) but you sound like a f**king idiot. If you need your licence for work, commuting and to generally survive living in the middle of nowhere you should look after it a lot more then you do. Weren't it only a month or so ago you thought you'd been caught doing 100+?

• Like 1

As I've said on here before; sign up to www.pepipoo.com. It is full of solicitors, lawyers, traffic cops, legal beagles etc etc, and they will give far better advice than a load of boys who ride bikes with no seats :P

Scottish law is different to English law, so most of what you hear from your average Joe will be wrong, because most people "quote" (very loosely most of the time!) English law.

As for "exceptional hardship" (what you say to try to avoid being banned), it needs to demonstrate the affect on others, not the person facing the ban. Punishment is the whole point of it all! If it affects your employer, get them to write a letter to the court, if you give your gran a lift to the shops every week because she can't drive...tell then that. "I need it for work" won't cut it with all but the most lenient judges. If you needed it for work so badly, you wouldn't be being charged with dangerous driving...

Having said that, dangerous driving is a very serious charge (often comes with a 12 month minimum ban), of which the driver has to fall well below the standards expected of a "normal" driver, so the chances of actually getting done for dangerous driving in your circumstances seem pretty slim. Careless driving, perhaps, but that carries a lot less heavy punishment (although being in your first 2 years may be an issue still).

Like I say though, sign up to that site, and you will get some fantastic advice. Just make sure you tell them EVERYTHING, then there is no confusion, and you get exactly the answer you need not just the answer you want to hear.

• Like 1

With my priorities being totally in the right order, I fixed the radio last night. from 1 speaker to 4 :) 2 new 4" speakers in the back, and I recycled 2 of the original speakers upfront until I can source some new ones (these aren't that bad in all fairness).

P7020212_zps8d00b325.jpg

I now need to find an ISO connector so that I can wire that mess to the headunit in properly and allow me to swap to a better one that I can connect my ipod to. I have also fitted an amp cable kit, ready for a teeny sub in the boot as i'm still yet to grow up and I don't have a growling engine to listen to instead.

Jobs to do very soon:

Service

Pull apart brakes, clean, reinstall, bleed

Solder in an ISO connector for the headunit

Fix the boot latch as the boot pops open on occasion

Fix the n/s electric window switch

Grease the cabin fan motor

Make a new boot floor and re carpet it

Fix the boot latch as the boot pops open on occasion.

Pretty sure I've heard of that issue with 924/944s before, I think it's to do with the alignment of the boot-lid rather than the latch being faulty its self.

Also yeah, what George said about the air-freshener. Nice purchase on the car by the way!

PS, if the front speakers are 6x4's and you find some decent ones for sensible money, let us know please, I need some new speakers in the Scirocco, and all 4 are 6x4s.

Edited by RobinJI

It smells of Drumstick/generic sweet smell, I think I got it from Pound world or something!

I think i'm free friday night George, really depends how the rebuild of the utility room goes at my parents (its proving to be a total bitch), need to get it sealed off from the elements.

Robin, its the latch and the pins, my pins are worn and the latch is out of adjustment, it's quite funny/irritating going round a corner and hearing it pop open. I'll investigate the speakers, Not in any rush currently, car needs plenty of other things doing to it!

EDIT: Can anybody recommend a tyre that comes in either 185/70/14 or 195/60/14? 2 of mine are cracked, not an MOT failure but I'd rather get some soon

Edited by CurtisRider

Drift cars can be weird, this one is by far the weirdest one I've seen yet. It's a BMW 5 series in case you can't tell.

u2uq.jpg

In car news, collected the wheels from the paint shop, they look absolutely epic. Need to wait till tomorrow to get the tyres on. I'm genuinely excited about fitting these to the car :D

Another dull update :P I did an oil and filter change, and added some Molyslip to the engine, it is so much smoother and quieter now.

Bike top cap made a rather good plug for my rear wiper hole after a little lathe work to make it seat correctly :)

P7030221_zpsb80b7c8e.jpg

Resprayed the front wiper arms

7bdaa235-a940-4f1c-8778-a722e790ddc6_zps

Slowly sorting the car out and tidying it up. I might even wash it at some point...

Has anybody had experience with dyeing carpet? Mine has gone a light brown/green and it supposed to be a dark brown. I'm not actually sure what products to use, some you can do in situ, but I don't mine yanking the carpets all out

If you spray from about 40 or more cm away its not quite so bad, it just colours up cus there's no proper build of paint on. You do have to watch out for streaks thou where it's not covered quite so well, no one likes a streaker.