The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

• 2 weeks later...

This is near the top of an unfinished residential block in Bangkok, Thailand. Most of the building is inhabited by what I'm guessing are first-generation African immigrants hopeful of finding a better life. I don't know quite what it was like where they came from but the stairwells and corridors with their stink of piss, stray cats, crumbling plaster, abandoned furniture and semi-functioning elevators left me wondering whether or not they'd made the right choice. However, the upper floors were ours and nobody bothered us. Too bad I didn't think to bring some beers...

sy-1a.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people, a while back I bought a Yungnuo YN560EX Speedlight off ebay for mad cheap.

A while back I smacked it one some BMX bars when it was on my computer and cracked the hotplate mount of the light and it has been in this state since.

w8t74j.jpg

Id rather not have to buy a whole new flash if I can get a replacement base and hotplate for this one. Does anyone know much about sourcing parts for flashes and the likes?

<photo>

Superb. Reading your recent blog post makes me realise how much I need to get out more.

Hey people, a while back I bought a Yungnuo YN560EX Speedlight off ebay for mad cheap...

...Does anyone know much about sourcing parts for flashes and the likes?

The whole point in cheap flashes is that they're pretty much disposable.

It's highly unlikely you'll get replacement parts for it to fix it and even if you can it won't work out all that cost/time effective compared to buying a new one.

I used to just buy £10 flash after £10 flash off fleabay back when I was shooting riding regularly. They just get destroyed and replaced. Easiest bet really.

Sidenote: Won the Location Flash category of Professional Photographer of The Year 2013 with this photo:

8381698642_795ee8afa1_o.jpg

Awards evening on Thursday, where they announce which of the category winners is the overall winner. :)

I'd say throw the flash on eBay for a few quid and buy a new one - as Mike says, they're not really repairable. More expensive flashes have more readily available spares, but I have now got three broken Nikon flashes and it'll probably be easier to buy a new one...

That photo is awesome Mike - I remember when you first posted it how much it stood out, and it's really prize-worthy so well done. I think I said before, but every single photo I've tried to take of that junction has ended up completely rubbish!

Also in the end I bought a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, but the first edition. I found a good condition secondhand one on eBay, although I won't see it until I visit the UK next week. I was tempted to splash on a VR II, but then I thought if I was going to do that I should just buy one new - next thing I'd be spending nearly twice as much. And to be honest I'd rather spend the money on an FX body, which maybe I'll do when I'm back. I've not yet looked at a D600 although I think I'd still rather look at a good secondhand D700 or D3. Again, would be nice to buy new (my D200 and D300s were both s/h) but I'd rather spend the money on plane tickets!!

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a camera for some time and think nows the best time for me get one.

Never done anything photography related before so im just looking for something a beginner can use and some advice.

What are peoples thoughts on a Cannon 400d?, seem to be pretty cheap on ebay.

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a camera for some time and think nows the best time for me get one.

Never done anything photography related before so im just looking for something a beginner can use and some advice.

What are peoples thoughts on a Cannon 400d?, seem to be pretty cheap on ebay.

This old camera of mine just happens to be for sale on ebay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200993284611?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks amigos :D

There's a little more about it here: http://mikedeere.com/professional-photographer-of-the-year-2013-overall-winner/

Surreal feeling this morning when I walked in at my part time job (I work 8hrs a week as a chocolate taster... well, why have one dream job when you can have two?) all ready to break the news to them, only to be greeted by a round of applause from my colleagues who'd followed the news online over the weekend.

My lazy ass forgot to reply here about my question about the broken speed light. Thank you for the replies firstly, I did ask about it in a shop a week or so ago but haven't heard back so I'll just look into getting a new one. Throw it on the Christmas list.

I've also just got around to buying a 50mm f1.8 Canon lens, I love it so much. I also love editing pictures by dropping out some of the vibrancy. The combination of those two equal...

tumblr_mwukhnau9B1t3h5n2o1_1280.jpg

And

tumblr_mwukhnau9B1t3h5n2o2_1280.jpg

• Like 1

The Brenizer Method looks good, how time consuming was it to take that one mate?

This particular one involved 83 photos haha :P I shot each picture in S Raw then processed the files as 1.6mp jpegs to save a bit of processing time, but it was probably about 20 minutes from opening the file to getting to the end result. Well worth it in my opinion. There is a slight stitching error on the front wheel but other than that this one worked out okay. Pretty fun technique to do imo.

This was another one, however the sticking on and above the bars didn't work out very well, hence the poor crop :P

tumblr_mwxuiaLX3M1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

Yeah, I need to start getting better at it. Every time I buy something I have good intentions. I have a mint F100 but only because I've never used it. My D200 got scratched to bits, my Nikon mid-range zoom is trashed, the D300s has taken a battering.

Seriously, even the bag this lens is in is like new...

I used one of them occasionally at uni, incredible lens.

All my gear is BATTERED. To be honest I only buy thing's I'm happy to break, I'd rather have basic equiptment and be able to not worry about in in the field then have expensive stuff and miss the best shots because I'm worried about breaking it. I'm gravitating more and more towards point and shoot film cameras for my purposes these days.

I thought one of the main ideas of buying expensive / 'pro' quality lenses was that you don't have to worry about them in harsh conditions, allowing you to not miss that important moment unlike cheaper lenses? At least that was the reason I bought my 17-40 Canon L.

That's true. But it just depends on how grueling your field is really (/how drunk you are).

• Like 1

Lomography cameras - talk to me.

Been looking at something small and fun for my girlfriend to play with (i know, i know, she's already got me etc) just wondered if anyone has anything to look at that springs to mind? Looked at the Diana Mini, but for the price of that i'm guessing i might find something a little better?

I reckon she'd enjoy the Lomo stuff in terms of the double exposures and general vibrance of it, but is it really worth a punt against an old Olympus Trip or something, for example? She's plenty competent technically, so i'm also just wondering if being stuck at F8 with a lot of them is gonna be a bit of a buzz kill.

Open to anything and everything i can get for sub £50.