The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

What I would give to have some interesting places to go to, I really don't know where I can and its a pain because my days off work are so boring and they could be so much more interesting.

That aside though, here's a few pics that I enjoy.

j9u1rm.jpg

309isfc.jpg

33nx7jk.jpg

This place was so creepy, I'd driven past it quite a few times and finally decided to take some pictures of it. From the outside it was fine, kinda nervous stepping in because I didn't want some crazy hobo to come stab me or something. There wasn't. I didn't however expect to be greeted by several spray painted pentagrams and inverted crosses and other signs of Satanic type objects. Was kinda scary to be in there and was certainly glad to leave it.

Edited by Joe O'Connor
  • Like 1

Your pics never cease to amaze me dude!

Cheers booosss.

Re: the pentagram thing- They seem to be a standard fitting in all abandoned building's nowadays. It's more likely kiddies with cans of paint than put a hex on your head fire chanting hooded crazy people.

• Like 1

Cheers booosss.

Re: the pentagram thing- They seem to be a standard fitting in all abandoned building's nowadays. It's more likely kiddies with cans of paint than put a hex on your head fire chanting hooded crazy people.

There were the remains from Seances and crap like that, candles and stuff. All kiddy kinda things, still a bit spooky though

Had a crack at taking some sun set pictures. Was a bit of a challenge because the sun was super bright right the way through so it was hard to expose the ground as well as not over exposing the sun too much. Other than boosting the highlights and shadows and stuff I didn't really edit them, colors are pretty similar to the original.

Also, what does everyone use to upload their pictures? The only way I know to get a decent size ruins the quality of the image.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/5079/slgf.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/1203/6ykb.jpg

If anyone's selling lenses, I'm after some video glass for my GH2. Potentially interested in anything for (micro) four thirds, or specifically a 35-50mm fast manual prime (Nikkor Samyang etc) for use with an adapter.

Stonehenge back in December on the Winter equinox

8302511628_629355359b_c.jpg

8302506230_10f43880c9_c.jpg

Edited by konstant
  • Like 1

Been a while since I have really done much photography, really been concentrating alot on my filmmaking. The shots of the downhillers were taken a couple of months ago in Llangollen at the BDS, and I never bothered to put them on here so I thought I might as well do it now :D

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao5_1280.jpg

And these two were taken last week, both HDRs compromising of 9 different shots!

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms986xbMnP1ruvflao7_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Those Downhill photos are sick!

Those landscapes though! I've heard a bit about doing multiple shots for the same photo but never really known what the point was. Care to inform a person? They look amazing

Cheers!

The purpose of doing multiple shots like this is that often when taking a single photo your camera will be unable to capture the brightest or darkest parts of the scene correctly, leaving you with an image where the sky is blown out or the foreground way underexposed. By taking a series of images at different exposures, you are able to capture a wider dynamic range. HDR images can also allow you to create a 16 or even 32bit file which gives you tonnes of colour detail and latitude :)

Here is an example of what I would have ended up with had I have just taken one shot (The sky was very much brighter than the land when I was shooting these).

tumblr_msafn328tC1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

It sounds fairly techy and what not but its not really, and the results are definitely worth it.

Hope that helped :)

• Like 1

Cheers!

The purpose of doing multiple shots like this is that often when taking a single photo your camera will be unable to capture the brightest or darkest parts of the scene correctly, leaving you with an image where the sky is blown out or the foreground way underexposed. By taking a series of images at different exposures, you are able to capture a wider dynamic range. HDR images can also allow you to create a 16 or even 32bit file which gives you tonnes of colour detail and latitude :)

Here is an example of what I would have ended up with had I have just taken one shot (The sky was very much brighter than the land when I was shooting these).

tumblr_msafn328tC1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

It sounds fairly techy and what not but its not really, and the results are definitely worth it.

Hope that helped :)

Right right right, that makes a lot of sense ha.

More questions then, you shot 9 different shots to get the photos? Obviously you are getting at more than just exposing the whole photo correctly given how detailed it all is.

would you mind going into more detail about how you shot each picture? I'm intrigued by it all and would love to have a crack at it.

Also, merging all 9 together. How?

Thanks man, sorry for all the uneducated questions

Right right right, that makes a lot of sense ha.

More questions then, you shot 9 different shots to get the photos? Obviously you are getting at more than just exposing the whole photo correctly given how detailed it all is.

would you mind going into more detail about how you shot each picture? I'm intrigued by it all and would love to have a crack at it.

Also, merging all 9 together. How?

Thanks man, sorry for all the uneducated questions

No worries man, I'd be happy if I can help you out :) The reason I shoot 9 images is that I have found that it gives a far smoother picture than if I had just shot say 3. Particularly in areas where there isnt much detail such as the sky, you will often see artifacts where the software has not been able to smoothly join the images together.

I take 9 images, each at a 1.5 stop increment, and do this by using Magic Lantern firmware on my camera (available here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html ). The smaller the increment the less artifacting you will get once they are stitched together, and the more photos you take the greater the dynamic range will be :)

As far as processing, I use 'Photomatix Pro', then tweak the basic look to what I want, then save the image as a 16bit TIF. Then I will open that TIF in either Lightroom or ps and do further adjustments such as sharpening, clarity, split tone etc.

Another tip if you want to try this out is to take 1 photo of your hand infront of the lens at the beginning of each new sequence, so when you get back to your computer you can see which photos belong to which sequence easier.

I hate writing long answers cos I feel geeky but I hope that helped hahaha If you need anything else answering fire away :)

• Like 1

No worries man, I'd be happy if I can help you out :) The reason I shoot 9 images is that I have found that it gives a far smoother picture than if I had just shot say 3. Particularly in areas where there isnt much detail such as the sky, you will often see artifacts where the software has not been able to smoothly join the images together.

I take 9 images, each at a 1.5 stop increment, and do this by using Magic Lantern firmware on my camera (available here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html ). The smaller the increment the less artifacting you will get once they are stitched together, and the more photos you take the greater the dynamic range will be :)

As far as processing, I use 'Photomatix Pro', then tweak the basic look to what I want, then save the image as a 16bit TIF. Then I will open that TIF in either Lightroom or ps and do further adjustments such as sharpening, clarity, split tone etc.

Another tip if you want to try this out is to take 1 photo of your hand infront of the lens at the beginning of each new sequence, so when you get back to your computer you can see which photos belong to which sequence easier.

I hate writing long answers cos I feel geeky but I hope that helped hahaha If you need anything else answering fire away :)

Ah makes sense. Thanks man, I'll give it a whirl at some stage!

Last night I went out and did some more star shooting, was more prepared this time (I took a torch with me).

This is probably the winner

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/608/lkwr.jpg

Also I was recently told about the "600 rule". I'd been shooting 15" at f3.5 and 1600 ISO on my 8mm. By that rule I should be able to shoot 75" without getting star tails which seems a bit extreme but I'll give it a go next time, being able to lower the ISO would be nice as would getting away from f3.5 because it makes everything soft as with my 8mm

Edited by Joe O'Connor

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted much in here for a while, this has been my summer - sunsets and festivals...

gsbk.jpg

Cool photos! I am curious as to how this one was lit, is it bounce flash or did you use some kind of diffusion? See this sort of soft light look all the time in night club photos but cant figure out how its achieved since on camera flash is generally hard and unflattering. Cheers :)

Edited by streetrials24