The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

I have just captured this photo about 30 minutes ago, and as you can imagine I am rather pleased :D Best of all, I didn't even use a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes! Went for the classic double lens trick where one lens is reversed if anyone's curious ;)

Having pissed about with that method before, jeeeeeeeesus. Nice work mate, that's incredible.

For various reasons my website has taken a back seat for a while, but I decided to get something 'new' up on there. This trip took place just over 2 years ago, which hardly seems possible, but there we go. I've still been doing a fair bit since then and have forthcoming updates spanning three continents and who knows how many countries, but it'll be slow progress until I have a decent amount of spare time.

More photos and some words here: Echoes of a Soviet occupation

PHe871bb9a.jpg

PH5a9d6e89.jpg

PHca0695dd.jpg

PH574d7dbd.jpg

• Like 1

Fly photo is a belter! Good effort!

Dude! Explain the technique you used to me! That photo looks so insane and I'd love to know how you done it

Having pissed about with that method before, jeeeeeeeesus. Nice work mate, that's incredible.

Cheers dudes!

Joe - Have a look at this link, this explains it better than I can ;)http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Places to get 2nd Hand DSLR camera bodies from excluding ebay?

Any ideas?

Speak to AndrewEH1, he's the man for this sort of stuff!

I got mine from eBay (both a 7D and a 5DII and there were no issues), some good deals to be had. Also Talk Photography but you have to be a member. There are also a few other forums out there.

Are you after one that takes video too I presume?

Cheers for that link mike, i had found that one just as you posted it.

Andrew - I am indeed after one that records video. i bought a 500d and unfortunately its inability to record decent sound is starting to annoy me

Buy an external mic!

I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RODE-VideoMic-Directional-On-Camera-Microphone/dp/B0007U9SOC/

I've seen 550d's new for silly cheap on hotukdeals. Unless you want a flip out and more autofocus points that seems the easiest way to go. Or I guess if you want a second hand 5dII for a real step up in quality?

no external mic port on a 500d unfortunately... :( noob purchase

Let me know if you end up selling this to upgrade. I'd be interested but I just don't have much cash right now but should have some work soon....

EDIT: Even more interested now the GET comp is back on again this year.

Edited by CalopS

The only other cheap option is to record sound separately on a mic and then sync it up in post, but f**k doing that...

To be fair this is pretty quick and easy to do if that's your only reason for upgrading. Just clap once on cam at the start of the recording and sync from that.

About 6 pages back I asked a few questions about taking photos of the stars. I'd been meaning to go out and use the advice I was given (Was brilliant advice by the way, thanks heaps much) but had never gotten around to it.

Until tonight!

What an amazing experience it was, I don't even care that my photos were kinda average and framing of them was pretty crap because I couldn't see much. Being out in the 5C weather underneath a million stars was crazy fun and humbling. Got this one that I think is pretty good for a first try! Let me know what you think.

1013377_552779458115559_1062438848_n.jpg

• Like 1