The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Exactly, a "Photographer" to me is someone who does it as a profession but maybe I'm being a little pedantic. I've gone out and bought a 350D to have a go a taking photo's but I wouldn't dare call myself a photographer. Anybody can set a camera to auto, focus and then apply a B/W filter.

1) No, anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist. Someone with a camera is not necessarily good enough to charge money for their services. Using your scenario, am I good enough to charge people for demo's at events? No. As a rider I suck.

2) People like her are preying on naive folk, who can't tell the difference between good and bad photos. Not a problem you might think, but she's de-valuing the photographer - sometimes charging only £10 for a portrait session.

Exactly, a "Photographer" to me is someone who does it as a profession but maybe I'm being a little pedantic. I've gone out and bought a 350D to have a go a taking photo's but I wouldn't dare call myself a photographer. Anybody can set a camera to auto, focus and then apply a B/W filter.

To me a semi-professional / professional photographer is someone who makes money from taking photos. A photographer for me is someone who likes taking pics.

I don't think it's anyone's place to judge whether she should be charging or not, if she has happy customers who're happy with her quality of work for the price she offers than I don't see a problem. If she's charging only 10 pounds a session, isn't the quality of her work matching the price she's charging?

• Like 1

To me a semi-professional / professional photographer is someone who makes money from taking photos. A photographer for me is someone who likes taking pics.

I don't think it's anyone's place to judge whether she should be charging or not, if she has happy customers who're happy with her quality of work for the price she offers than I don't see a problem. If she's charging only 10 pounds a session, isn't the quality of her work matching the price she's charging?

So going back to my bike point, say a demo team charge £250 a day. Would it be right for me to charge £50 a day even I did nothing more than a kid on a mountain bike could do?

Regardless of what customers might think, it's terrible to be selling photos that are worse than you could take on Instagram.

Anyway I'm not going to argue, they're awful photos and she shouldn't be selling her services.

i´m far away of beeing a photographer,i just take shots here and there with my cheap digicam with 14mp,but i´d like to hear your thoughts about my gimp skills:

PICT0007hdr.JPGhttp://i.imagebanana.com/img/de0rirxr/PICT0007hdr.JPG

playing around with hdr plugins and its just a pic of my bike,but i want to apply this on non-bike shots and was asking myself how it looks for others so far/plugin adjustment advice etc

thanks

post-30389-0-51976600-1368593053_thumb.j
edit:sorry for killing the loading time for this page,anyone can view it properly?
Edited by FamilyBiker

Thought I would add a few of some of the pictures I've taken. I kinda edited the living crap out of them but I am learning to shoot better so they requiring less editing more and more. I'll do links because I didn't resize them very well and it's going to take up 50% of the interweb if I load the pictures to TF, I hope that isn't a problem...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/782/img9007copy.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/5884/img8960copy.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/9792/img8946copy.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7370/img8912copy.png

Like I said, heavy editing but I kinda think it doesn't look too bad... I dunno, you tell me.

This one has to be my favorite picture I've taken. I think I've only bumped up the exposure a tiny bit, otherwise it is edit free.

milly.jpg

More for the sister in law, she's got a Canon 500d and was asking about trading it in for a 650 and I said she's better off learning how to use her current one properly first before she splashes out on a new body. Thought it'd help her out if I got her a subscription to a photography mag to open her eyes up a bit to different techniques and stuff, also helps as she's more likely to want to try something she reads rather than openly searching for help on the net.

They all kind of copy each other and repeat each year. I think it's Digital Photography Magazine (DP) that is pretty good. I get Professional Photographer at the moment but it's more about people in the industry, advice etc rather than tutorials. Mags like DP usually have a macro issue, a black + White issue, portrait issue...and so on. Something like that will be perfect for her.

And I wouldn't bother upgrading a 500d to a 650d. The difference won't be massive. Probably better screen, more pixels etc. Better investing in Lens using the same money.

They all kind of copy each other and repeat each year. I think it's Digital Photography Magazine (DP) that is pretty good. I get Professional Photographer at the moment but it's more about people in the industry, advice etc rather than tutorials. Mags like DP usually have a macro issue, a black + White issue, portrait issue...and so on. Something like that will be perfect for her.

And I wouldn't bother upgrading a 500d to a 650d. The difference won't be massive. Probably better screen, more pixels etc. Better investing in Lens using the same money.

• Like 1

I have just captured this photo about 30 minutes ago, and as you can imagine I am rather pleased :D Best of all, I didn't even use a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes! Went for the classic double lens trick where one lens is reversed if anyone's curious ;)

tumblr_mnm75hDSKJ1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

That's ace! How far was the fly from the camera and how did you pursuade him to land there, and stay long enough to get a shot that sweet? Im clueless on photogrpahy so this may be obvious to others.

Off to some Aston Martin racing on Saturday, 7d and a sigma 170-500.

Nt shot motor sport before. As the sigma isn't the fastest lens in the world I'm thinking a single centre focus point would probably be a good call?

I shall try my hand at panning, again something iv not tried before.

Hopfully the weather is good. Don't fancy a day sat in the rain.

May be out to get out in a friends DBS at lunch time which would be cool.

Photos to come.

That fly shot is great! Love the colour.

what A Beauty. Perfect shot Lewis!

Thanks so much Max! Appreciate it :)

That's ace! How far was the fly from the camera and how did you pursuade him to land there, and stay long enough to get a shot that sweet? Im clueless on photogrpahy so this may be obvious to others.

Cheers dude ;) The fly was about 2cm from the front of the lens. I knew that if I waited around by some flowers that are in the garden then eventually insects will arrive. Sure enough after literally just a couple of minutes this little dude popped up and was really co-operative, he started off just looking to the right of the camera but then as I got closer in he looked directly into the lens, most likely in sheer puzzlement :D

Nt shot motor sport before. As the sigma isn't the fastest lens in the world I'm thinking a single centre focus point would probably be a good call?

Probably a good call, make focusing that little bit faster, either that or set to manual and always aim for the same point.