The Photography Thread

mr ailsbury

Thanks for all the advice guys, i ended up getting a deal on a second hand 550d on ebay, now its the hunt for a good quality microphone on the cheap as well. Not sure I can afford a Rode mic unfortunatley...

Carl - i would sell man, but i think that my missus has claimed the beast as her own. When I am not using both cameras that is.

I'd crop out the distracting floor, but the rest is pretty awesome mate - nice shot :)

Thanks for the feedback man, glad you reckon its alright.

In cropping it, would you keep the same ratio or just do what looks right?

I plan on going out again with a light so I can actually see what I'm doing and hopefully I can frame shots better.

And clean my lens hahahaha

Edited by Joe O'Connor

Thanks for the feedback man, glad you reckon its alright.

In cropping it, would you keep the same ratio or just do what looks right?

I plan on going out again with a light so I can actually see what I'm doing and hopefully I can frame shots better.

And clean my lens hahahaha

It is a great shot!

Also, next time you go try to avoid having branches in shot over the sky.

Carl - i would sell man, but i think that my missus has claimed the beast as her own. When I am not using both cameras that is.

No problem dude. I just need to get saving! There seems to be plenty of 550D's of similar for sale on ebay. How much did you get yours for?

I'm having big noise issues on my D300s...

Shoot in RAW with no other settings tweaked, so no Active D lighting or exposure compensation. Shoot mainly in aperture mode,tried four different lenses and still getting the problem.

It's so bad I've spent two weeks editing a couple of weddings and some are almost unusable.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i ended up getting a deal on a second hand 550d on ebay, now its the hunt for a good quality microphone on the cheap as well. Not sure I can afford a Rode mic unfortunatley...

Sweet.

Have a look at magic lantern firm/software for it. If you shoot loads of video it's got some very useful features.

Marriage is a sham anyway...

So you're saying this is a new issue, i.e. performance is worse than before? Or have you just been using it in different ways that have highlighted an issue that's possibly always been there?

Yes it's a new issue, since April this year roughly. I've just looked through older photos and they look fine, in terms of modes and settings I've not changed anything.

I've reset all the settings once already, basically started from scratch and it's still doing it.

Same issue here - I noticed it the other day shooting a very well lit scene at iso200, 1/30 f2.8 - so much noise in raw, with no in camera processing such as d-lighting ect, that it was completely unusable.

Hi photo guys, the missus is looking to get into photography so I thought I'd get her a camera to start her off. I'm happy to buy used and would like it to come with a couple of lenses.

Don't really want to spend more than £200 at the minute as she'll probably loose interest once I buy it, haha.

What are my options/your recommendations?

Edit: found this locally. A good start or over priced? http://www.wightbay.com/cameras-tv-dvd-electricals/canon-300d-slr-camera-and/4753934

Edited by James Quigley

Same issue here - I noticed it the other day shooting a very well lit scene at iso200, 1/30 f2.8 - so much noise in raw, with no in camera processing such as d-lighting ect, that it was completely unusable.

I'm gonna get Nikon to check mine out because I've tried it on various shutter speeds, apertures, ISO's and with two or three different lenses.

Definitely something not right, all the settings are default other than changed to RAW. Will test to see if JPEG's come out any different before I ask Nikon to look, I'll report back...

I'm gonna get Nikon to check mine out because I've tried it on various shutter speeds, apertures, ISO's and with two or three different lenses.

Definitely something not right, all the settings are default other than changed to RAW. Will test to see if JPEG's come out any different before I ask Nikon to look, I'll report back...

Can you post a raw photo (converted to Jpeg obviously) to show us what you're experiencing? Just curious to see :) Hopefully you'll have it fixed soon :)

It depends mostly on the colours, I find ones with dark suits or shadows much worse, but to give you an idea - this is one that I've not touched at all other than blanking her face out and cropping it so it's not massive. It's one of the more "acceptable" ones, but still not great. I spent ages removing noise from their edits.

a9nw.jpg

For reference that was taken at f2.8 on aperture mode, without a flash.

Equally as bad are those taken at f7.1 using a flash.

I've tried Tokina 100mm, Nikon 18-70 and Nikon 35mm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody have a good idea of a website that gets a lot of traffic (preferably from the younger generation) that I can post a swap for a camera? I would be swapping a high spec BMX, I will post on here, just wondering if anybody knows of anywhere else that it would be beneficial to try.

Edited by godbarber