Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

why do you have 2 cpu-s?

It's just a bundle with certain options picked, i.e. 4770k over a 4670k, 16gb c9 instead of 8gb c9 etc.

^This - the bundle comes with an i5 but for an extra 70 odd quid we wanted the i7 for the extra horsepower :)

Do you need graphics cards for solid works to work well?

Ideally yes you should have a dedicated workstation gpu, at the moment were using nvidia quadro 600s to tide us over, we got them off ebay for about 40 quid a pop so not expensive and they handle just about all of our assemblies so far. Going to want something more powerful soon though, quadro 2000s can be had for as little a 100 quid on the bay. Retail cost for workstation gpus is phenominal.

I use my gtx 260 core 216 (overclocked to gtx 280 sort of speeds) at home and it struggles significantly once the assemblies get above 4-5000 components (this is including all fixings so nuts bolts and washers). On the whole it works well enough for a hobby/occasional use on a gaming gpu.

Well you could use the IGP on modern cpus but it wouldn't be so nice to use. You only need an entry level card though, you don't tend to get much performance increase with the super expensive cards.

The cpu tends to be a bottleneck so only on tiny assemblies can you see any real benefit.

Indeed the IGP on my i5 was suprisingly good considering, having used proper hardware now though I couldn't use it again. The big thing with the gpu with 3D cad is that it takes a huge load off the cpu, workstation cards have the drivers written to do this but normal cards don't.

Good work. :)

I keep considering upgrading my desktop, but it's gonna realistically cost £2k for what I want, and I don't want to spend that, so I'll probably just keep this heap going until it keels over. :lol:

question is, why don't we?

as Intel consumer grade CPU-s does not have the capability to run in a Dual CPU motherboard, they are the Xeon series that can (that starts with EX-2XXX) if I remember well

Good work. :)

I keep considering upgrading my desktop, but it's gonna realistically cost £2k for what I want, and I don't want to spend that, so I'll probably just keep this heap going until it keels over. :lol:

I think its time for a kick ass OC-ing ;)

It was OCing that turned this thing into a heap in the first place haha. My own fault though, I went past the recommended max vcore for this chip.

It works well enough now, but I have to run it with the voltages turned up for stock clocks.

It was OCing that turned this thing into a heap in the first place haha. My own fault though, I went past the recommended max vcore for this chip.

It works well enough now, but I have to run it with the voltages turned up for stock clocks.

why would you do that?

What chip is it and what speed did you achieve?

I've spent the last few days building a nice spider that responsibly crawls websites for for data and then crunches a whole heap of numbers to give me an idea of general SEO health as well as opportunities for my clients. The tough stuff is now done, so it's just the prettying it up that's coming next. It's been a fun reason to learn Python and shoehorn it into my usual PHP and SQL. My brain is hugely fried though!

why would you do that?

What chip is it and what speed did you achieve?

It was an accident... I thought it could handle a very small increase in volts over the max recommended (I used 1.6v instead of 1.55v), but I was wrong.

965BE C2 (proper clunker haha), I got 3.8ghz stable but 4.0ghz for a single SuperPI 1m run.

New computer toys are here :)

Unfortunately my pc wiring OCD is kicking in and causing me a headache :D

edit: got both machines built, Windows installed and joined onto our works domain. Boot up time is about 11 seconds if you ignore the network log in! Three days off now, will get them doing a burn in test, check temperatures are stable and leave it on prime95 for a day or two before we put them into use.

Edited by forteh

Right boys and girls, help if you can.

I've been running the office through a BT Business Hub thing for the past year and a bit. For the past few months we've had the odd day with it cutting out consistently and annoyingly. I didn't think it could really be the router and put it down the line itself, but I've been and bought a cheap Belkin router today and it hasn't cut out once. I guess that proves it was the POS BT one that was causing the issue. HOWEVER, this Belkin thing isn't much cop either. As I've mentioned in here a couple of times recently, I've been building a server full of tools for the team to use. A few of them run scripts that will make maybe 1000 outbound requests a minute, so nothing major but more than 'usual' usage. It seems that this Belkin router is bottlenecking those requests and causing the scripts to fail. Obviously I could code around that, but that'd leave me with tools that were designed to be as slow as the router, which would be stupid.

So, I'm looking for a router that can handle decent levels of throughput without shitting itself. I've only got a 10mbps download and about 1mbps upload line (absolutely maximum the line can take, and I've got it), so I know I'm not sending more than 1mbps with these requests. I also know that I'm not receiving more than the 10mbps, so it's not the actual line choking, more the computational power of the router itself to do the, er, routing. I'm not up for spending a load of money really, because I know the BT one was good enough to handle the requests (but not good enough to stay online the rest of the time). I reckon up to about £100 – so far I've narrowed it down to this and this. That's due to the throughput details from here. Obviously fairly old data, but I feel like the newer routers are built for actually handling physical data speeds that I can't achieve with my line.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Nope, they won't change the box for less than £10k and the other businesses attached to it aren't going to cough up. That leaves me until my January break clause in my lease before I can move again. The thing is, our usage isn't 'heavy' as such because we don't need to down/upload much. Even the BT box was dealing with the data itself, it was just failing in other aspects. People were definitely comfortably running the sort of usage we run on 10mbps lines for a long time in the not too distant past.

Firmware update on the bt hub? My netgear router kept dropping WiFi every so often and a firmware update fixed it.

FWIW I have 40mbit fibre, get 39.5mbit on speed tests and the line is capable of 110mbit; I can thoroughly recommend eclipse as an isp! Sounds as though your local line its crap though :(

Unfortunately no updates available for the BT one, even for the hardware they've plonked their name on. It was definitely an oversight in terms of location - loads of offices in town have fibre, we're just slightly outside the zone :(

Ended up going a liiiiiiitttle bit over budget, on the advice of a networking pro I know. This'll definitely make the most of what we already have, which is handy. Got a gigabit switch as well to replace the one that's already here, so that internal networking should be 10x faster too.

Dear Nerds

I'm looking for a PHAT (as you can get for £40-£50) HDD just to archive all my shit on.

Stability is essential, a decent amount of revolutions per minute, would be cool if it was quiet.

oh and sata II

Dear Nerds

I'm looking for a PHAT (as you can get for £40-£50) HDD just to archive all my shit on.

Stability is essential, a decent amount of revolutions per minute, would be cool if it was quiet.

oh and sata II

Sorry

a what type of HDD?