Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

GTX 750 TI, delivering a little bit better performance as the normal 650 TI, but with no need of extra connector, except on non reference model just for safety and OC.

Sounds like a very good choice, although an R9 270 would be better for me

A friend wants to sell me his desktop pc.

Originally was expecting a price around 400 now he wants around 480/500.

This is with a "free" 22 inch Samsung monitor, and an OK mouse and keyboard.

What should I expect of a desktop pc for this sort of money? It'll have 16gb ram, i5, a recently installed £200 graphics card.

He says without the gfx he'll drop it £100.

It can run battlefield in ultra, pretty much all games in ultra/very good quality with over 30fps.

Now I used to be a fair bit of a gamer back when I was younger, I'm definitely nothing like I used to be. Half hour sesh of cod in the evening on ps3 maybe, my laptop can run pretty much all games, high end games are just about bearable and battlefield is definitely not bearable at all.

I really do want this pc, I do miss having a desktop pc. But I'm worried I'll get it and do exactly the same as I do now, browse the Web, look at bikes, eBay, Facebook, forum, YouTube videos, listen to Spotify etc. Maybe a little bit of burnout here and there. The only real difference would be I'd be able to launch games like crysis without getting all stressed about the fact it lags just moving about in low graphics.

What do I do? :(

Personally I would get it because it seem to have pretty much bang on specs

But then again, I love computers and I hate laptops.

It is up to you:

Do you want to afford this PC so sometimes you can game on it and enjoy the fun of a PC?

If I were you, I would just stick with the laptop and save bunch of money. At worst get a monitor and some proper mouse and keyboard, connect them to the laptop and still spare a bunch of money

For casual gaming that should be fine, and if you need a PC, as for work or for a hobby, then get it. But if that would be for something that you can already do (playing games on ps3/laptop) then I would see no point spending more money on it

Yeah I agree with you entirely and this is exactly what my dad is saying too, he's pretty knowledgeable with pcs.

Pc gaming is a lot different to ps3 gaming though, feels more involved in a way. It's the best of everything put together, the only drawback is you can't really lay back in a bed and do it.

Plus shooters on a pc have a totally different feel to shooters on a ps3, not sure why. I think mouse and keyboard are home to shooters to be honest. But driving games are better on ps3, just the way the controls are set up.

The reason why I have consoles are the exclusives only. If there is a game for PC, then I get it there

Car racing games are good with a good set of steering wheel and everything turned off.

But as I said, get a monitor and keyboard and mouse and there you go, a gaming PC feel, that is portable

Words.

Can you get a spec? 16gb of RAM, and i5 and a £200 card isn't much to go on...

Depends which i5, which graphics card, how good the RAM is, what case it is, whether it has a decent PSU, if it has an SSD etc.

• Like 1

Win 7 ultimate

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 Graphics card - 2 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
I5 Quad core 2.8 GHZ

Mobo is worth £100

Case is £80

Trying to grab more info but he's being slow as f**k.

This is how he priced the components with 2 other mates of his that I know pretty well too.

Processor we priced at 100

GPU at 120

Case at 80

Ram at 75

PSU at 75

Mobo at 60

HDD at 25

The last i5 to be 2.8ghz appears to have been the 760, so it's a 4 year old CPU which was £150-170 when new. Now worth about £50 as it's second hand. If it was unused, about £75.

Motherboard is not worth £100 if it runs the 760 CPU unless it was a £300+ board when new. Your estimate of £60 is probably closer to the mark.

What is the case? Unless it was a TJ07 or something posh it won't be worth that much.

GTX660 is outdated now, they're £130-140 to buy brand new everywhere. A second hand one maybe £80-90.

--

I think with a monitor, keyboard and mouse, £400 is about right. Not an amazing deal but a fairly good one. To get something significantly faster you'd be looking at spending a grand or more. I'd buy it, chuck an SSD in it and run it until it dies. It's all faster kit than my computer and mine runs most things.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to need to look into plenty of storage soon too...

In computer nerd news, I've been spending the last week amalgamating a load of tools I've built for fifty6 staff into a big system running on an internal server that's just about ready to be accessed by them anywhere anytime. Not really necessary now, but definitely a big test of my PHP, SQL, JS and AJAX skills. It's been fun setting stuff up on a server with no GUI too.

Also just included a file sharing system to replace our reliance on Dropbox too, which was fun. It's also the need for the extra storage!

My original F1 is still running too. I didn't realise it's been quite that long but it works out at something like 5 years 3 month powered on.

LAnGSnZ.png

How do you find that out? Would be interesting to see what mine are on. One is 4 years old, the other is 5 years old. One of them is in my server now, which I think is the 5 year old one...

Also just included a file sharing system to replace our reliance on Dropbox too, which was fun. It's also the need for the extra storage!

Yayyyy at last! I've almost scrapped Dropbox after 6-7 years of using it now. Far too unreliable.

Never had any reliability problems with it, just getting to a point where the charges for the service aren't worth it. Especially as I'm storing a bit more sensitive data - not ideal to have on someone else's servers!

I should be able to make the switchover today, which'll be nice :)

Over the last year I've had it totally f**k up twice and lose a load of data that meant a lot, but recovered from a backup each time, and it's also at some point synced a load of files that got corrupted. No idea how or when, but a load of stuff I built at uni is now garbled.

Serves me right for replacing the backups of my dropbox directory each time I back it up. I should have kept the old backups as well, then I could have found the point where they weren't corrupted and recovered them. :(

Ah well. I use git to handle version control of anything I build now, then back that up myself as well as pushing everything to bitbucket or github. Hopefully my source code will be safe now!

Edited by Muel
  • Like 1