Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

oh wow, 'ph' sounds like 'f'. so, FAT.

meaning a lot of storage space.

oookay

So you are looking for a FAT32 HDD/ a big size (3.5") hdd/HDD with large storage space/HDD with a cool ph/f in it?

I chose Seagate Barracuda

3.5", 7,200 RPM, 64 MB cache, SATA2

Quick, cheap, cool name, big, as noisy as a hdd get(quiet) ant its 1 TB

Dont worry, Sata 1 3Gb/s should be fine for a HDD as well

Edited by HippY

little bump, my PSU died with a nice BANG sound so it is time for a new one, like right away

I am looking at XFX 550W TS Gold, it seems like a good quality (Gold certified) and fully modular, and not too Expensive at £52

Although Tartydays will be a little tight like that.

Can anyone help me get some ideas to get my temps down? mainly CPU

spec:

aRe9Yrp.jpg

And got this shitty case:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/4044951013340.html

Is it the case? I'm pretty cheap but obviously don't mind spending some money if it sorts my PC out. My graphics card is a f**king giant so it takes up all the space in the case ;)

is that idle or under load?

Also what cpu cooler?

That was idle but my room is really hot today as it's sunny, but normally 58°ish idle for the CPU and goes up to about 65° under load.

Other temperatures don't bother me, although the gpu gets to like 50° when gaming but it can handle it pretty well.

Not sure what cooler, can get pics? My friend built it for me as i'm new to PC's and he may have put something he had spare on.

Then probably stock cooler

Improve airflow, and change for a good aFtermarket cooler

My cpu (8 core amd, stock clock) is 40 degree with only 2 case fan ( instead of 3) and badass cpu cooler

Does the temperature drop if you leave the case open, if so get cold air into the case with inlet and exhaust fans.

If it doesn't then you need a better cpu cooler or perhaps even as simple as clean the heatsink of dust.

little bump, my PSU died with a nice BANG sound so it is time for a new one, like right away

I am looking at XFX 550W TS Gold, it seems like a good quality (Gold certified) and fully modular, and not too Expensive at £52

Although Tartydays will be a little tight like that.

Isn't "Gold certified" just an indication of efficiency and doesn't reflect on the quality at all? Just buy Corsair.

Can anyone help me get some ideas to get my temps down? mainly CPU

spec:

aRe9Yrp.jpg

And got this shitty case:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/4044951013340.html

Is it the case? I'm pretty cheap but obviously don't mind spending some money if it sorts my PC out. My graphics card is a f**king giant so it takes up all the space in the case ;)

Did you put the cooler onto the cpu yourself? If not, remove, clean the old thermal paste off and reapply some. Also do this if it's been a while.

Are you sure it's idle? No background processes?

Is it OC'ed?

Isn't "Gold certified" just an indication of efficiency and doesn't reflect on the quality at all? Just buy Corsair.

yeah, thats correct, but to achieve that efficiency you must use high quality components

I dont know too much but I will read after the inner build system as soon as I have freetime

Anyway XFX is made my Seasonic (there are few companies who make PSUs and there are companies who give their names for them) and they have a good reputation

picture

And probably the fact that you have a gtx 260 does not help too much

Anyway, if it 61 degree on load then I would not worry, intel can handle that temperature easily

Did you put the cooler onto the cpu yourself? If not, remove, clean the old thermal paste off and reapply some. Also do this if it's been a while.

Are you sure it's idle? No background processes?

Is it OC'ed?

No overclocking, I'll have to get round to doing that some point this week. Hope I don't f**k it up, like i said my friend built it for me so he will have fitted the cooler.

And probably the fact that you have a gtx 260 does not help too much

Anyway, if it 61 degree on load then I would not worry, intel can handle that temperature easily

Why is gtx 260 not helping? because of how large it is?

If you're at 61 at idle you don't want to be overlocking. You need to figure out why it's running so hot first.

You didn't answer if it is 61 degrees at idle... if you think it is, double check your processes to make sure.

EDIT Oh wait yeah you did. What do you mean by 'under load', what process are you putting it through for you to consider it under load?

Edited by JT!

If you're at 61 at idle you don't want to be overlocking. You need to figure out why it's running so hot first.

You didn't answer if it is 61 degrees at idle... if you think it is, double check your processes to make sure.

EDIT Oh wait yeah you did. What do you mean by 'under load', what process are you putting it through for you to consider it under load?

Sorry, please bare with me :P

I didn't mean get round to overclocking I meant get round to taking off the cooler and refitting it properly

I put it in sleep mode yesterday and had the application I use to measure temperature open to view it straight away, CPU started around 40° and climbed up to around 58° while having nothing else open, just desktop and speccy.

I'm pretty sure it's at idle as it does it before I open anything and I don't have anything set to open when booting.

Under load, I was playing 3D games (portal, dayz) but when I render 1080P videos as well it starts climbing closer to 70°.

No overclocking, I'll have to get round to doing that some point this week. Hope I don't f**k it up, like i said my friend built it for me so he will have fitted the cooler.

Why is gtx 260 not helping? because of how large it is?

The problem s not the lack of cooler (it would overheat in 3 second) but the size and quality. you want to keep the CPU as cool as you can, but I would go as far as 70 with that, but first read after in forums how to do it on q8200 and what to look for

is it a reference or non reference design? Blower fan?

If the fans dump the hot air to case ( so there are like 2-3 fans on top of it) it will warm up everything= you need to have a good airflow in the case

if it is blower style ( funny 1 fan, blows out the air on the back of the card) then it does not affect the inner temperature as much as the open fans

I didn't mean get round to overclocking I meant get round to taking off the cooler and refitting it properly

I put it in sleep mode yesterday and had the application I use to measure temperature open to view it straight away, CPU started around 40° and climbed up to around 58° while having nothing else open, just desktop and speccy.

I'm pretty sure it's at idle as it does it before I open anything and I don't have anything set to open when booting.

Under load, I was playing 3D games (portal, dayz) but when I render 1080P videos as well it starts climbing closer to 70°.

use prime95 to check what are the temperatures under 100% ( and it will be your best friend at OC)

but yeah, first I would sort out the cooler

What PSU do you have?

Rendering videos is a good way to test it under load. (Games not so much).

To see how much load the cpu is under press ctrl+shift+esc and it'll tell you the cpu usage at the bottom (at least on Win 7 it does). Check that and also go to power options and make sure it's on 'balanced'. If it's on 'high performance' you cpu might not be dropping its voltage when in little use.

Edited by JT!

1.Rendering videos is a good way to test it under load. (Games not so much).

2.To see how much load the cpu is under press ctrl+shift+esc and it'll tell you the cpu usage at the bottom (at least on Win 7 it does). Check that and also go to power options and make sure it's on 'balanced'. If it's on 'high performance' you cpu might not be dropping its voltage when in little use.

1. why would you use something as complicated and space required as rendering videos, whereas prime95 gets every core at 100% in a matter of a click?

2. CoreTemp. Tells you everything, each core temp, load, socket temp, everything you need (for start)

As far as I am aware Voltage/clock ratio, FSB and stuff like that are controlled by bios, this performance thing just gets the Kernel to use the resources (slightly) differently?

I could be wrong, but then I would be rather nervous if a software like windows would control my CPU voltage and Vdrop and Vdroops.

1. I didn't say it's the best way, but it works pretty well.

2. But it does. The step after checking that would be to download something like coretemp and see if the voltage drops from full load to idle.

1. I didn't say it's the best way, but it works pretty well.

2. But it does. The step after checking that would be to download something like coretemp and see if the voltage drops from full load to idle.

1. Yea, although i love the prime95 as it does true 100% all the time. My problem with editing is that i have only pr0n that i could edit....

2. As soon as i get my psu, i check it if there is a difference

Are any of you will be at Tartydays?

We should grab some beer and have a talk after we got tired of the bike talk

1. Yea, although i love the prime95 as it does true 100% all the time. My problem with editing is that i have only pr0n that i could edit....

2. As soon as i get my psu, i check it if there is a difference

Are any of you will be at Tartydays?

We should grab some beer and have a talk after we got tired of the bike talk

Got my PSU and did a quick load test to check the PSU. CPU stopped at 40 C, it was relatively quiet (100% usage on all 8 cores, at 1.417 V :o) and when I hit run the voltager immediately dropped to 0.9V

I am sure, that windows can play around with Kernel only, not with the VRM circuits :/

• 2 weeks later...