Most Powerful Front Brake

trialsiain

The best disc Ive used was a Mono Trial, with standard pads and an Avid 160mm roundagon rotor. Oh theres some cheapo cable shimano calliper too that works just as well, and maybe better than a bb7. I ran it on my Python with a 180mm G2 cleansweep rotor, cheapo cable and an FR5 lever and it was brill. Locked on demand, buckets of hold and bite and had very predictable modulation. Only reason I prefered the hope was that I like the feel of Hydro brakes better.

Mags front and rear are a winner though ;)

on what do you base that opinion. if you take basic physics into it, braking force transmitted straight to a tyre, rather than using a disk going through the spokes would be better.thats my take on it anyway. I use an echo tr disk by the way. and used an 04 maggie with tnn belaeys. disk seems to be more progressive, whereas maggie has instant grab

• Like 1

having a disc on a trials bike makes sense, as ace as pure on'off braking is, modulation is important, and it's fun. also a 200mm rotor making a disc brake good, is like tar making a hs33 pad good... that much leverage will ensure performance from a bad brake... if a disc brake works with a 160 or even 140 on a 26" wheel, then it's a genuine winner...

my vote goes to the bb7 cause it's so cheap/powerful/adjutable and affordable... that said my tech x2 brake is awesome and even another rider who swears by bb7s admits that my hope is awesome, however it'll f**k up and turn shit like all hopes do... (in my experience)

From my limited experience with disc brakes, BB5 with a 203mm roundagon rotor and an SD7 lever. I don't think that setup ever let me down on front wheel gaps, it's unbelievably good.

edit: +1 for the Gutsav M, last time I rode one was probably back in 2003, it was a raceline yellow with this strange transparent resevoir. Definitely the most aggressive brake I've tried, it was kind of difficult to use because the lever acted like a switch. It was either off or on in which case the front wheel would instantly lock up no matter what the circumstances.

Edited by Greetings

Because maggie isnĀ“t best in any aspect,not lightest,not strongest,not easily servicable,anything...

Pretty strong, not really much of it to service, contamination is easy to deal with and there's no fat lump of metal on the side of the wheel to get bashed and bent.

Also, not a weight weeny so don't care about weight.

however it'll f**k up and turn shit like all hopes do... (in my experience)

You just need to service them every now and then with a rebuild + new bleed making sure there's a good coat of high quality brake grease and clean everything up with new seals etc aswell and watch out for any stuck pistols ect and sort it out asap.

Edited by bike_dummie

thats more effort than i like (i know you need to maintain stuff, i'm no being arrogant) but bb7s need none of that, my bb7 is 3+ years old i think and it's needed no fannying about. makes it better than a hope...

i've never really needed a powerful brake as such, as long as stops me when i need it too and slows me down on hills then that's good enough, i would say though that the tech trial if setup right is an awesome brake,

when i first got mine i ran it with standard pads and a rockman rotor which seemed to do the job, however i decided to try the pro pads and was expecting good thing's however they turned my good brake into an inconsistent and pretty shitty brake, I've now gone back to a set of standard pads and also swapped the rockman out for a mono trial rotor and it's now better than it ever was,

also + 1 for the gustav m, i had one on my zhi z3 and it was beastly, but i totally agree with greetings it was either on or off there was no inbetween,

DSC_0864.jpg

Edited by ezgonzo