Employment

MonsieurMonkey

I got a 2:2, sent out ~10 emails to various companies.

Got one reply, and it was asking for an interview. Drove 200 miles for an hour interview, got the job. Moved to the other end of the country. Been working here for 3 years.

90% of that success was down to luck, a bit through hard work and a bit of willing to move to the other end of the country for a job.

I thought with a 2:1 in maths and a years worth of experience in what I want to do, I'd walk into any job. 100 or so applications later and my ego is defiantly dented!

I cruised out with a 2:2 in maths having had a bloody excellent time and walked straight into the job I wanted (...and the first one I applied for)

There's so much more to it than just the grade you get.

Just keep refining things and making them as good as you possibly can, it'll work eventually!

Okay, so I've just got my degree, and I'm looking for work. There's nothing. And I've been looking since January, and I'm started to get rather depressed about the situation. I'm not just looking for a job though, I want something with progression that I can move up in. Basically I'm looking for some ideas of what else I can do, I search most of the normal sites, Reed, Totaljobs, Indeed, the DirectGov site, I'm also on Linked In and Google daily to see if I can find anything on there. I'm not looking for a field in particular I just want a job. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it'd be cool, because being on the dole is the grimmest thing ever. I don't know how people do it for long periods of time or why anyone would want to commit benefit fraud, how they can sit around doing f**k all everyday is beyond me.

Cheers gents.

have you looked at the fire service for analyst work. It's gone very much that way nowaday. If i was to suggest what sort of work to look for I'd say anything that keeps people safe, warm or healthy. People have to be those 3 to live. Anything else Depends on cashflow and if a trend of recession follows your back to square one. I didn't go to uni as i only ever wanted to join the fire service. A trade I've picked up a little of is roofing. If you've got a leak you've got to fix it, if your walls are cracking you can live without having them skimmed. Probably haven't explained that to well but do you get the jist? Typically many mes these jobs don't pay so well but your job is more secure than the guy earning buckets at the firm that Will sack him the second work drops out like the past few years

have you looked at the fire service for analyst work. It's gone very much that way nowaday. If i was to suggest what sort of work to look for I'd say anything that keeps people safe, warm or healthy. People have to be those 3 to live. Anything else Depends on cashflow and if a trend of recession follows your back to square one. I didn't go to uni as i only ever wanted to join the fire service. A trade I've picked up a little of is roofing. If you've got a leak you've got to fix it, if your walls are cracking you can live without having them skimmed. Probably haven't explained that to well but do you get the jist? Typically many mes these jobs don't pay so well but your job is more secure than the guy earning buckets at the firm that Will sack him the second work drops out like the past few years

I've looked at the fire service, but to do the analytical stuff they want a chem degree or similar. And I don't want to do anymore education lol. I do get you though, do something that is a necessity to people as opposed to a luxury. That's the way I'm looking just hoping to get anything at the moment though.

I'm trying to network a bit too, but it's tricky when you're on the dole. The Liverpool city job centre is hardly a bustling environment of great minds and business types.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my job! Had the first interview like 2 weeks ago, then went on holiday, they waited till I got back, did the interview for which there were 3 available roles, pitched myself for the top one. Found out 15mins later they'd like to offer me a job! So I'm now a "Central Insight Analyst" for http://www.reach.co.uk will be ace :). Downside is i dont start for 3 weeks and I want the money! hahaha

Edited by Simpson
  • Like 1

Are you going to be cold calling people to offer them stuff they don't want?! Come on, own up!!

NO NO NO! No-one could pay me enough money to do that job ever! Found a job online in my local area, £25k+ benefits + commission or Virgin Media, I was like "oh that sounds good" looked a bit deeper into it and it was door to door sales.... I wouldn't even apply *no offence to anyone* but I'm not "that" kind of person.

Simply I analyse our sales and advise how to improve them, without being directly involved at all. More return on investment and statistics for our clients.

More like, this sales-mans good, this region is good, these stores are good, why aren't these stores doing well, why aren't we selling this product well.

Pretty much a 3 pronged approach, education of staff in stores to sell our products better, promotion in stores, and an independent sales team.

Should be sick, got to wait 3 weeks to start though! :(