Employment

MonsieurMonkey

Thanks for all the infos chaps, I do quite a lot of the stuff that's been suggested like tailoring CVs and covering letters, I'm applying for some stuff that's around £10k a year as well so I'm not just looking at stuff that is like £20k+ career type stuff, I just can't seem to get any responses, I've probably just had a bit of a stream of bad luck and whatever. But my problem now is, I've been sent on a lot of courses on how to improve your chances of getting a job etc by the Job Centre, all of them say different things... It's good to know others are in similar situations to me though, hopefully by the time the likes of Dan has finished his degree it'll be better, because if I've still not got a job by then I could very well be finding a job falling very fast from a high place without any safety equipment.

So about this bamboo....

Do stuff like following up your application - if you haven't heard back for a week give them a call and ask if they recieved it. If you have an interview and you don't hear back, give them a call and ask if a decision has been made, and if you didn't get it ask how you could have interviewed better. Before an interview, research the company, research the job. If you don't know the answer to something, say you don't know and that you will find out. All of these little things add up and show you are proactive, so even if you're not ideally suited, at least you're willing to work with them. The people who put the extra effort in are the ones who are getting the jobs.

No man thanks for your help its all useful stuff, just really wish I read one application and was like "yea thats awesome I really want to do that" but everything sounds pretty run of the mill. I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place because I want on the job training but have missed the boat for a lot of grad schemes as I didn't think I was going to end up with a 2:1 but then did..... and I have over a years experience working in finance alongside banks and stuff on good money so i don't want to drop pay really.

People are starting to make all sorts of things, I think they use it as scaffolding in China.

I climbed that shit. Where I used to live in HK, new buildings was popping up all over and me and my friends go climb them all the time after school into buildings. I miss those days.

Sign up to an agency. I did and it landed me a job I like, football with the lads on Thursdays, 10-15min from my house in a car and a decent company which I could see future opportunities. My pay is only 16K at the moment but I'm happy for now and my boss did say he'll review it next and see how I'm doing.

I climbed that shit. Where I used to live in HK, new buildings was popping up all over and me and my friends go climb them all the time after school into buildings. I miss those days.

Without doubt the coolest answer to anything I've seen on here for a while

Sign up to an agency. I did and it landed me a job I like, football with the lads on Thursdays, 10-15min from my house in a car and a decent company which I could see future opportunities. My pay is only 16K at the moment but I'm happy for now and my boss did say he'll review it next and see how I'm doing.

Where do you play football on a Thursday?

Second time in job seekers and I've already had a row. I help out at a mates bar doing 0-10 hours a week. But if I work even my maximum 10 hours, I'm £5 better off. Got so annoyed phoned up work and told them I'm voulenteering now! haha

BTW this was mostly because of the 6 peice of paper I have to bring and payslips, and lots of other admin bullshit, i.e. if I earn over £56 (or whatever) then I have to sign off JSA then back on it. Really not worth all the agg.

Ive always been told theres a skill shortage of engineers. However ive also been on the unemployment list since january. If anyones wondering about a placement year during uni, do it.

I signed off for a stag weekend in Ibiza about 3 months ago. I signed back on as soon as I returned but none of my payments have gone through since then! complete idiots. I shoulda checked my statements though.

Graduate class of 2012: 'A 2:1 just won't cut it any more'

http://www.guardian....deo?INTCMP=SRCH

That doesn't surprise me, I did nothing for my last year and a half and no revision for my exams and got a 2.1..... So I can imagine employers have caught on that any old skin sack can get a 2.1 nowadays, especially in Psychology.

Also on the people complaining about JSA, the whole benefits system in general is retarded, me and my girlfriend are a couple, and this has meant that instead of getting the minimum amount, they want to give us more, but we just want what we were getting, but they won't give us that.... What? It's ridiculous, I hate it, it's taken us 2 months to sort shit out.

Anyways, I'll have a look at recruitment agencies, hopefully someone will find me something, are there any good nationwide ones? Or is it better to look at local ones?

They say that but to get through to interview it would be a strange selection process to choose a 2:1 candidate over a first class graduate in the same course from the same uni (for example). Once in interview it will then be obvious if the first class candidate has no common sense or practical ability. But then I got a first so I'm biased, although that did mean that I walked in to a doctorate and then got the first job I applied for...

We were told repeatedly that employers make very little distinction between a 2.1 and a 1st, which made me definitely try less. I think right now, a 1st would be better, mainly because there are no jobs around, especially in graduate positions. So anything that can set you out from the crowd or make your CV a bit better will help. I do wish I would have put more in, but I know part of me not getting a job is the current economic climate. I just hate the fact I'm hardly getting any interviews.

They say that but to get through to interview it would be a strange selection process to choose a 2:1 candidate over a first class graduate in the same course from the same uni (for example). Once in interview it will then be obvious if the first class candidate has no common sense or practical ability. But then I got a first so I'm biased, although that did mean that I walked in to a doctorate and then got the first job I applied for...

You couldve left that end bit out for the sake of all this threads postee's esteem.

To be perfectly honest, there was a pretty good element of good luck and being in the right place at the right time involved in both instances. Sure I worked hard at school and did what I needed to do at uni to get where I wanted but from there things have just happened to have fallen quite nicely really.