Iphone 5 Worth Waiting For?

arw_86

ive cut out the waffling that i just typed out.

Basically, dropped my samsung galaxy ace which did the job for me. By doing the job i mean, whatsapp, fb, text, camera, phone and a few games. So in theory it did what it needed to do. Anyway, that's broke and i am now using a pre jesus nokia, and have been for a few months, as ive been waiting for the iphone 5, so i could then get an iphone 4/4s as the prices will inevitably come down. Im getting fu*kin bored though and have been thinking do i really want/need an iphone?!

One major thing is, I just want a phone as i have a contract with Tesco that was a sim only and i've done the 12 months so its now a rolling contract. I dont want to commit to 24 month contracts at £30+ a month. id rather buy my phone out right and pay £10 a month still.

So, can anyone recommend me a good smart phone (i guess really, no more than £200) or anyone have an opinion on waiting for the 5 to get a cheaper 4 etc?

Edited by arw_86

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/huawei-ascend-g300-payg/specifications

those are getting really good reviews at the moment and loads of people are 'hacking' them, so plenty of stuff you can do with them if you like to play about. But you wont get the apple service or quality.. IMO you get what you pay for but I don't value customer service and warrenty replacements that much. I'd prefer to take my chances with a good quality 'budget' phone and get a new one every year or so :)

Saying that, I've just bought one of these to replace my android phone :P

I'd wait for it just to see what it's like. BIG rumours are that Apple will reveal it on September 12th along with the iPad mini, been seeing that date on rumour sites for a while now.

The problem with the iPhone now is that its had its time as the 'best by a long way' smartphone and a lot of other companies have caught up and are offering decent phones for a lot less money.

I've just finished a 24 month contract on an iPhone4 paying £35 a month, then £15 a month to insure it and definitely don't want to be stuck with another contract like that now that i've finished uni and actually need my wages :P the insurance also jumped to £15 from like £6 a month when I traded up from the iPhone3G so I dread to think what the jump up will be when the 5 comes out.

o2 were also offering the exact same contract that i'm on for £15 on their sim only simplicity plan not long ago which was pretty irritating because i've been paying more than double that for the last two years.

IMO if you've got the money to splash out on an iPhone, 1000% buy the phone outright and then get a sim only contract.

Also, its becoming more of a fact than a rumour now that Apple are going to ditch the current iphone/ipad/ipod charger socket and bring out a new smaller one with the iphone5 so buying an older phone will make it a bit harder to get spare chargers and accessories.

I've just finished a 24 month contract on an iPhone4 paying £35 a month, then £15 a month to insure it and definitely don't want to be stuck with another contract like that now that i've finished uni and actually need my wages :P the insurance also jumped to £15 from like £6 a month when I traded up from the iPhone3G so I dread to think what the jump up will be when the 5 comes out.

That's really expensive, especially the insurance. Way over the odds, surely?

I wouldn't buy an iPhone (of any type) now, not with a new one coming out in less than a month. Whatever it looks like, it'll have a big impact on the prices of other phones. Perhaps when it does come out, the iPhone 4 will be heavily reduced? That might be a good buy at that stage - my iPhone 4 still works really well, not really feeling the need to upgrade it (contrast that to my iPhone 3G which, when it was 2 years old, basically couldn't do anything without grinding to a halt).

• Like 1

I have a 4S on a 12 month tesco £35 contract. Before that I had a 4 on the same contract. Mazuma gave me £270 for my 4 and my 4S cost me £300 so the £30 upgrade was a bit of a no brainer otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the 4S.

If you keep up to date with the iPhones they keep their value well. Mazuma would give me £300 for my 4S now.

My contract runs out at almost the same time as the iPhone 5 comes out, so I might well see what it's like. Depends how long the waiting list for it will be though. I'm not interested in waiting 3 months for a phone, no matter how amazing it is.

Meh, iPhones suck. I bought a 4S outright from the Apple store. Sold it and turned to Android with the Galaxy SIII and I'd never look back. The OS is just so much better, massive screen.

I have a quick bash on my mates 4 now and again and it's just naff.

If you're used to Android and move to iOS you're in for a huge let down.

• Like 1

If the 4 and 4S are the same generation just updated, then the 3G and the 3GS would logically be the same generation too no?

So the original 2G model would be first gen, 3G and 3GS would be the second gen and the 4 and 4S would be the third gen. In which case the new one would only be the 4th generation. :blink:

Either way, it's the sixth release. Not that it matters a single iota.

Yeah, I reckon they'll call it the 'new iphone'. Or something like iPhoneHD or whatever. Something to differentiate it from the older ones but losing the increasingly-daft-sounding numbers. iPhone 17 in a few years' time? No chance.

Yeah, I reckon they'll call it the 'new iphone'. Or something like iPhoneHD or whatever. Something to differentiate it from the older ones but losing the increasingly-daft-sounding numbers. iPhone 17 in a few years' time? No chance.

It could be my paranoia, but I reckon the marketing reason behind calling the iPad 3 the "new" iPad, is so that people with an iPad 2 don't just have an iPad [[version number]], they now suddenly have an old iPad. And nobody wants old things.

I moved from androis to ios and wasn't let down.

ios is just so much nicer to use then android in my opinion. And if you jailbreak ios (which is easy and takes all of 10 minutes) you get a lot of the features, plus others that you miss out on from android.

I also find android really choppy. I was comparing my dad galaxy note with my 3gs the other day and things like scrolling and zooming in and out of text/images was smoother and more responsive on my phone (both with no background apps running). Same story on my friends galaxy 3. Obviously the newer android phones are faster overall, but my 3gs seems to handle itself better once it has loaded things.

Back on topic, if you want an iPhone 4/4s then I would wait until the new one comes out as like you said, it will bring the prices down.

I am also waiting for the new iphone to come out before I upgrade my 3gs to a 4 or 4s.

That trick only works once though. What will the next iPad be called? I reckon just 'iPad'.

Yeah, you're right there. My theory doesn't account for that :P But then calling it the "new" ipad for whatever reason still has that problem. I just think there's more to calling it the "new" ipad than just because its the latest one, but I'm suspicious of apple (but I do have a new iPad - its alright..)

Next one will be called the iPad galaxy slat doh- can't think of anything that's not already been taken!

Compare a quad core ICS Android phone to the 4s, then come back for a chat. :)

Samsung galaxy s3 is a quad core ICS android phone no? I compared my 3gs to one, as said above and it handles itself better with a lot of tasks once it has loaded things (obviously the newer phone will load things quicker). Even with simple things like flicking through the homescreen, bearing in mind the my iphone is jailbroken and was widgets, the Samsung still felt more choppy.

Wouldn't comparing it with a 4s make my opinion stronger?

Edited by Mikee
  • Like 1

Samsung galaxy s3 is a quad core ICS android phone no? I compared my 3gs to one, as said above and it handles itself better with a lot of tasks once it has loaded things (obviously the newer phone will load things quicker). Even with simple things like flicking through the homescreen, bearing in mind the my iphone is jailbroken and was widgets, the Samsung still felt more choppy.

Wouldn't comparing it with a 4s make my opinion stronger?

You said your dads galaxy note, which shows how impressive Android phones are... they can morph into different models. EDIT: Just read the second part.

You saying a 3GS is better and an S3 is complete bollocks. I can run my S3 playing 720p HD video while browsing the internet and it's smooth as butter.

If your mate is using the Touchwiz launcher then that's probably why.

Edited by Luke Dunstan

I'm about to throw my iphone 4 against a wall, for some reason I can't fathom why it won't back its shit up to icloud so I can plug in my new 4s and get on with life. The 4s says its synced to icloud, but theres nothing on there. the 4 says its backed up its shit to icloud, so it should be there.

Frustrating as hell, yes I'm probably being a retard and not ticking a box somewhere, but why isn't there a simple way of doing it, with a tab on itunes that does it all for you. pieces of shit.

You said your dads galaxy note, which shows how impressive Android phones are... they can morph into different models. EDIT: Just read the second part.

You saying a 3GS is better and an S3 is complete bollocks. I can run my S3 playing 720p HD video while browsing the internet and it's smooth as butter.

If your mate is using the Touchwiz launcher then that's probably why.

No I didn't say my 3gs is better than an s3, I said that the s3 is obviously faster but it can be more choppy then my 3gs when zooming in and out of things and on the homescreen. Every android I have ever been on has done this as well. Maybe the fact that android is built for so many devices is the problem. IOS is designed to be used on Apples hardware only so it is optimised for the job. I guess it is a lot harder to make software work to it's full potential on so many different devices. But I am no expert, only a guess...

Posting it too me would be a better relief of frustration then throwing it against the wall :P

Back it up on your computer in itunes. right click on it in the devices list and click back up. Then you should be able to restore your new phone from the back up you make.

I'm about to throw my iphone 4 against a wall, for some reason I can't fathom why it won't back its shit up to icloud so I can plug in my new 4s and get on with life. The 4s says its synced to icloud, but theres nothing on there. the 4 says its backed up its shit to icloud, so it should be there.

Frustrating as hell, yes I'm probably being a retard and not ticking a box somewhere, but why isn't there a simple way of doing it, with a tab on itunes that does it all for you. pieces of shit.

That just sounds like Apple in general to me. I was close to binning my iPod a while back because of my pure hatred of iTunes until someone introduced me to SharePod. Would never consider getting an iPhone and I really couldn't give a shit if there's a new one coming out or not, from what I can tell there's bugger all difference between any of them anyway. And for that reason, I'm out.