Ominous Creaking From Front End

rocky111

Okay so every time I push down on my bars then release pressure it makes a noise, same when 180 pivot on the front wheel it creeks.

It's driving me metal I can't trust my bike, I'v taken the whole headset apart and cleaned it. I'v taken the bars off and cleaned the stem an bolts applied some grease re assembled, all to no avail. I'm not sure whats doing it, as the bars seem to be sound and I haven't found any cracks in the forks it's definitely not the frame or brake, the crown race seems okay. has anyone else had a similar problem any ideas as to what it could be ?

my set up is try all rage bars, trialtech sport stem, hope headset and echo SL forks.

Edited by rocky111

I vad the same problem, but my creaked like the whole time the bike where moving... I opened up my headset and cleaned it and applied some lithium grease, problem solved for me.

It may be worth to take a look at the forks since they're quite snap happy. Look especially around the weld areas, and like close to the crown race.

I vad the same problem, but my creaked like the whole time the bike where moving... I opened up my headset and cleaned it and applied some lithium grease, problem solved for me.

It may be worth to take a look at the forks since they're quite snap happy. Look especially around the weld areas, and like close to the crown race.

cheers for the advice might give it a try so, I should cover all the headset parts in grease?

Pretty much same situation as you; pulled the headset stripped and re-greased everything. Pulled bars and cleaned clamp area and removed loose paint, greased bolts and re-torqued faceplate bolts. Still creaks just not as much ( also thoroughly checked bars for cracks )

Pretty much same situation as you; pulled the headset stripped and re-greased everything. Pulled bars and cleaned clamp area and removed loose paint, greased bolts and re-torqued faceplate bolts. Still creaks just not as much ( also thoroughly checked bars for cracks )

Done exactly the same! Thought I had cracked my frame but did this and its not gone!

Probably added like 200g worth of grease to the front end though only joking.

Okay so every time I push down on my bars then release pressure it makes a noise, same when 180 pivot on the front wheel it creeks.

It's driving me metal I can't trust my bike, I'v taken the whole headset apart and cleaned it. I'v taken the bars off and cleaned the stem an bolts applied some grease re assembled, all to no avail. I'm not sure whats doing it, as the bars seem to be sound and I haven't found any cracks in the forks it's definitely not the frame or brake, the crown race seems okay. has anyone else had a similar problem any ideas as to what it could be ?

my set up is try all rage bars, trialtech sport stem, hope headset and echo SL forks.

Check out your forks and hub , mine where and I found out my forks were cracked and my hub was still making the noise and I'm pretty sure it's cracked but I can't find it ,one tryall later and it's fixed.

Checked your axle and bearings in your front hub for cracks in the the axle and bearings also check if anything in binding ect. If it's all ok take the shields of and grease them up and smear grease on the axle.

Checked the steeper tube and we're the crown race sits for cracks?

Do you have disc on the front as a contaminated brake as my brake also will make a creaking noise when applied.

lastly has you stem.got any cracks and if you can replace all the bolts - starnut bolt, stem bolts and axle bolts.

i managed to narrow down the ticking noise (when pushing or pulling on my bars) to my trailtech stem (highrise, stock) everything else has been changed and the problem persists. clean the bars and where they clamp and it stops for like 20 mins then starts again. its super lame!

maybe its a trialtick stem thing.

cheers guys thanks for all the advice. I think it must be coming from my bar/stem as there was a creaking sound when I loosed and tightened the stem bolts so I'm defo guna check for cracks re grease stem bars contact point and think about replacing parts.

cheers guys thanks for all the advice. I think it must be coming from my bar/stem as there was a creaking sound when I loosed and tightened the stem bolts so I'm defo guna check for cracks re grease stem bars contact point and think about replacing parts.

You better don´t.

pack the headset with grease and look at your forks for any cracks, give your stem a tighten and give your spokes a pull on the front wheel as it might be them flexing due to beeing loose and sending the vibes up the bike into your bars making you think its the headset.

Vamp

dont grease the stem to bar contact point, not the best idea to grease them, just loosen then re-tighten.

Adam.

When tightening the front clampings bolts for the bar/stem, if you're using a 4-bolt clamp stem like Trialtech I seriously recommend doing it cross/diagonally. So say you do up the top left bolt first, give a gentle turn, then move onto the bottom right bolt. Then top right, then bottom left. All in small increments to get the clamp on as evenly as possible on all 4 bolts. You should end up doing 3-5 rounds of each bolt but stick to that diagonal method consistently throughout.

Just don't go mental on one bolt and do it up all the way and then the same for the opposite (loose) bolt!

That usually is the remedy for uneven positioning of the front clamp and creaking from my experience. Don't forget to grease up all the threads on the stem and bolts. Repeat: do all the tightening in small but even increments. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i had that exact same creak from my hope crown race, iyou beat me too it, just read the whole thread as well :D

if it comes back thou i was going to try out a steel crown race without the split on it.

i think the creaking is down to the crown being a better fit for supension forks ect..

Edited by dezmtber