Gearing Hex 2011

dk2

what clerictgm meant to say...

is that its silly to decide on a gear ratio just because it exactly tighten you're chain.

finding your favorite gear is the most important thing..if it accidentally tighten you're chain so you dont need a chain tensioner thats great!!! but not the main thing

also

1- the chain length changes from frame to frame..soo its hard to tell

2- the chain get loser and loser..so after a year of hard riding you will need a tension

3- some gear ratio "fill close" for example :22-18 and 18-15 .(and some say 15-13 ..)

so maby one of them will get you better chain line but will fill the same ratio

hope i helped.

• Like 1

Hi in my opinion a 22/18 or 24/19 or 18/15 etc all the same. There is a few issues I'm trying to solve...my kranks are shimano xt and 22t chainring. This leaves 2-3mm of clearance for the chainring. Hence I would like a smaller one up front, but I don't think they exist... A 22/17 current setting gives minimum chain slack and gives me the option or running a home riged chain device. But I was just interrested in what other people where running. But for some reason must of you UK guys hate inspired...ride on

I cheated, I filed 5mm into each drop out (towards the Bottom bracket) Then put a bolt through the bolt that holds the mech in place, and currently running a snail cam to tension my chain. Working a treat and can pretty much do this with any gearing you need, might not have to file as much depending on your ratio. Also my brake still lines up without any problems and my tyre clearance is good also. I got the Idea off a friend who has done the very same thing (only without the snail cam) on his foreplay

Edit: I run 18/15 on my set-up

Hope this helps

Edited by Seabasss
  • Like 1

Unless your running 'burns you've got no chance I'm afraid.

EDIT: By this I mean if you've got some middleburns you can get an 18t sprocket for it but any other standard 4 bolt cranks your pretty screwed.

Or as below get some normal screw on trials cranks and an 18t sprocket.

Att Seabasss...do you have a link to a place that has 4 bolt chainrings in 18t ?

My Point was not regarding your crank's, I simply meant you don't have to run a freewheel to run 18/15.

My method still works regardless which of the three gear ratio's you go with and will take out the factor of chain stretch being a problem, When I get chance over the weekend if you would like I will upload some pictures of how easy it is to do.

It also means my rear end on my hex is 380mm rather than 385 which I think most of the forum would prefer ;)

• Like 1

Bit off topic but I wonder why the Inspired bikes don't have horizontal dropouts? I wish mine did. My only guess is so you could run gears but no one ever does (and it is possible to have horizontal dropouts with a mech hanger).

I'd be tempted to try the filing modification on my Forplay if it meant I could loose the tensioner.

Bit off topic but I wonder why the Inspired bikes don't have horizontal dropouts? I wish mine did. My only guess is so you could run gears but no one ever does (and it is possible to have horizontal dropouts with a mech hanger).

I'd be tempted to try the filing modification on my Forplay if it meant I could loose the tensioner.

Vertical drop outs mean riders from all different back grounds and styles can choose which Gearing they prefer and run it with a tensioner, Being that the 18/15 gear ratio is in a minority with these frames there is no point in the change. They should make the rear end 380 mm though (Take note inspired)

Also I'm pretty sure this will invalid your warranty for those who are at all bothered

Edited by Seabasss