Supplements And Performance Enhancing Drugs In Trials

JoNnY__Mc

Its interesting to hear peoples views in this topic. The topic was more to discuss supplements than performance enhancing drugs. I was unaware that they do test for drugs at competition level but I am happy to hear that there is awareness of these substances and that the use of these substances is not tolerated. I do find it surprising that the majority of riders aren't very interested in diet and supplements and the benefits good nutrition will have on performance. However I can understand if most people ride for fun and are not overly concerned with progression.

I'm sure alot of people use energy drinks as they are very mainstream, even if used just to wake up i'm sure there is an effect on performance. For the cost of a can of monster each time you go out you could buy a pre-workout supplement such as jack3d or no explode. These supplements won't turn you into a bodybuilder freak, but can give you a better kick than energy drinks. I'm not suggesting that everyone should do this, but it would be interesting to see if there are any benefits of using these supplements in trials.

I'm sure that top level riders will take diet and training quite seriously, however at a competitive level I wouldn't expect a rider who was competing for the world championship to openly share their diet and training. More over, its often suggested that trials should be an olympic sport - i'm sure if trials ever became an olympic sport diet and supplements would fast become a significant role in getting the best edge in competition.

Bodybuilding will always be a part of my life and I look forward to using what I have learned to see if it will help me on the bike. In addition to this I will continue to use multi vits, whey protein and BCAAs as I do beleive they contribute significantly to muscle repair and muscle building.

I was unaware that they do test for drugs at competition level

That's just part and parcel of being affiliated with the UCI rather than anyone specifically giving a shit about it, isn't it? I'd assume it'd be the same for DH, BMX racing, and all the other sports they pretend to have an interest in :P

Ali bought some of that NOXplode shit (or whatever it's called). My enjoyment of it is two-fold: It gives me unlimited scope for f**king rinsing Ali about it, and also the list of 'benefits' on the side of it have a '*' next to them, which then leads on to say that none of the effects the mention have been proven under laboratory conditions (or words to that effect). The worst part about it though is undoubtedly the taste. I haven't really tried that many supplements, but from what I have tasted they've all been f**king horrendous. I'd infinitely prefer just adjusting my diet to get the nutrients I need rather than pounding that stuff back. If you're hitting the gym as well I suppose it's not so bad if you're into that whole lifestyle, but if you're just riding it seems sort of needless in a way. Most people's diets could probably be improved if they looked into it, so it makes more sense to me to address that side rather than just buying a load of expensive shit that openly admits not necessarily being as effective as they claim.

Other than that, I don't drink energy drinks, but I do like a good ol' hit of caffeine. Coffee <3

I read somewhere that the real athletes such as Olympians ect don't actually drink energy drinks even if they are sponsored by them they still don't drink them instead they drink water enhanced with minerals ect nothing like what you would find in a monster or that kinda drink.

Also drinks such has redbull relentless monster ect are extremely addictive rather like nicotine your body needs the chemicals found in these drinks and if your body is deprived of them you will suffer withdrawal symptoms the severity will be down to the drink and the amount of its contents you consumed.

I read somewhere that the real athletes such as Olympians ect don't actually drink energy drinks even if they are sponsored by them they still don't drink them instead they drink water enhanced with minerals ect nothing like what you would find in a monster or that kinda drink.

Also drinks such has redbull relentless monster ect are extremely addictive rather like nicotine your body needs the chemicals found in these drinks and if your body is deprived of them you will suffer withdrawal symptoms the severity will be down to the drink and the amount of its contents you consumed.

Yeah usually you'll see they have a bottle that is, say, red bull branded but they won't be drinking a can of red bull. Unless its for an advert or whatever where they just take a swig while filming.

As I sit here chilling on college lunch break, I find it interesting that this topic was thought of whilst the lance armstrong thing Is all over the spot, the only reason it hit my radar is because it was almost headline news on telly. 7 recinded TDeF titles, a cancer comeback, charity wristbands, doping, nike dropping him and a bad taste in an entire sports mouth (for a few weeks anyway).

That's all a life work and career has become. Rather lame intit?

That's just part and parcel of being affiliated with the UCI rather than anyone specifically giving a shit about it, isn't it? I'd assume it'd be the same for DH, BMX racing, and all the other sports they pretend to have an interest in :P

Ali bought some of that NOXplode shit (or whatever it's called). My enjoyment of it is two-fold: It gives me unlimited scope for f**king rinsing Ali about it, and also the list of 'benefits' on the side of it have a '*' next to them, which then leads on to say that none of the effects the mention have been proven under laboratory conditions (or words to that effect). The worst part about it though is undoubtedly the taste. I haven't really tried that many supplements, but from what I have tasted they've all been f**king horrendous. I'd infinitely prefer just adjusting my diet to get the nutrients I need rather than pounding that stuff back. If you're hitting the gym as well I suppose it's not so bad if you're into that whole lifestyle, but if you're just riding it seems sort of needless in a way. Most people's diets could probably be improved if they looked into it, so it makes more sense to me to address that side rather than just buying a load of expensive shit that openly admits not necessarily being as effective as they claim.

Other than that, I don't drink energy drinks, but I do like a good ol' hit of caffeine. Coffee <3

I only got that as I hate coffee but still want the occasional caffeine hit, so shut your yap! (it does taste like shit though!)

I'm far too lazy to go down the whole diet/nutrition route, seems like a lot of effort. I do wish I cared enough to do something about it though, I can imagine the benefits would be pretty good.

That's all a life work and career has become. Rather lame intit?

I guess the 2.5million people who've been supported by the LiveStrong foundation still count for something though. Irrespective of how he did/didn't gain that fame, he still channeled it into good causes which is pretty admirable. I still find it hard to totally believe it all because a lot of the 'evidence' sounds like bullshit but even so, Lance still did a lot of good in his time in the (positive) spotlight.

I was hitting the gym 3-4 times a week for about 6-7 months. and I didn't notice an improvement in my riding. Infact I seemed to be getting arm pump sooner. My diet changed too. instead of coke or fizzy drinks. I had at least 3/4 bottles of water. I did take supplements think at 1st I tried maximuscle, which tasted rank (and my farts stunk and general bad guts!!) but I noticed a difference in size of the muscles. Then I tried some PHD, choc chip cookie (very nice) and I didn't notice any change only the £20 difference in price! my diet is high in protein anyways... have chicken most days!

That was when I was training for rugby. but I didn't notice a different in that either so I stopped going. My riding has improved, and arm pump is a thing of the past.

I guess the 2.5million people who've been supported by the LiveStrong foundation still count for something though.

I hadn't considered that angle. But my comment was only a mere observation.

he still channeled it into good causes which is pretty admirable. I still find it hard to totally believe it all because a lot of the 'evidence' sounds like bullshit but even so, Lance still did a lot of good in his time in the (positive) spotlight.

You probs know more in depth than me, like was said i am only a very passing armchair follower of leg shaving tarmaccers. I like the guy's public persona, just my comment was on how that seems to have up in smoke

Red Bull was actually developed by Dietrich Mateschitz as a tweak on an already existing, popular stimulant drink in Thailand. So yeah, not necessarily the NWO/Illuminati thing you may be hoping for Dave.

Red Bull doesn't exactly taste great, but they experimented a lot more in the military than just giving someone a slightly spike on their caffeine intake...

I eat healthily (Within reason) due to my XC and Road training. I always have a (whey) protein shake after an intensive road session, and sometimes one before bed after that session. I use it purely as a means of recovery.

You can get dedicated recovery drinks that have a higher concentration of carbs, but that debate relies on what you what to achieve, and unless your training for long periods on a trials bike its probably not worth it.

Just eat a balanced diet and your on the way. Fruit, Veg, lean meats, good fats ect. Its amazing the amount of people who go mental with protein, and have a shit immune system, because all they eat is protein and a few carbs. You need the minerals and vitamins to have a healthy body, and therefore perform at your best.

couldn't agree more with that last bit . I used recovery after mototrials and i'm a beliver. it meant that could get up for school on the monday after a long saturday of prepping the bikes (mine and dad's), usually with 2-3am finishes, getting back up at like half 6 and going for a long sunday of trialing hauling the F**kker outta bogs and schloopy, quick sand like mud from above the axles.

Recovery works!!

Edited by CC12345678910

Ok. this is my first post and this is actually a subject quite close to my heart. Just for your information, I am a sports science grad so I do have a background relevant to this post.

I'm going to try and debunk some myths that I've seen posted here, as well as try and answer the original question. I've put some words or phrases in bold, to help you scan the post quicker.

Ok firstly, performance enhancing drugs are used all over the world, in literally every sport, at any level. This can include caffeine, which is actually a banned substance from most sports (not sure for trials comps however) and obviously include any illegal drugs too (even including alcohol although not illegal)

I do agree with most people, I think nutrition can make a difference to trials riding, having the required energy and protein to not only fuel your sessions but recover from them is important, but I think that most trials riders would probably not benefit from supplements - especially if a healthy balanced diet is already consumed - unless an extremely busy schedule and long trials sessions are occurring.

Secondly, as for energy drinks, I think that caffeine in moderation may improve concentration and focus (as has been shown for other sports) which obviously is important for trials riding. Caffeine was again, in most sports shown to increase effort, speed and endurance - again desirable traits for a trials rider. Negatives of caffeine however are tiredness (excessive tiredness post exercise once the initial energy has been depleted) and over consumption can also cause the shakes and reduced ability to focus. So obviously moderation is key. As a side note, I saw someone post that it is addictive, I can scientifically confirm there are no addictive substances in energy drinks (monster, rockstar, redbull) but some people can still become addicted to these.

As someone so correctly made the point that the Army (US Army) made these drinks a requirement, it was to increase the 'vigor' and energy of the soldiers, it was however discontinued to be because of the problems with excessive tiredness that caffeine causes. In an interesting side note, cocaine (back around 1930's I believe) was also given to them for the same reasons!

There are however new drugs that are widely available (with limited scientific research, yet still 'safe' - again in moderation) which may be of interest to you. Please DO NOT think that I am condoning drug use to trials riders, I am simply trying to educate. These are ritalin, modafinil and piracetam.

Ritalin is something that you may recognise, it's given to children with ADHD in America so they may concentrate, it's also widely used as a 'cognitive enhancer' during college and universities. Piracetam is just another form of ritalin that is available in England (I must confess to using this, but not for trials riding - both are legal drugs, but again probably banned for sport) A cognitive enhancer may wish to be used during trials riding as to increase spatial awareness and proprioception. Modafinil is exactly the same sort, interestingly enough it has replaced both cocaine and caffeine as the US Army's drug of choice.

One last note that I feel is imperative to mention is the Placebo Effect - basically in short, if you think it will help you, it probably will (google for a better definition but that's the jist of it) therefore if you think supplementation will improve your recovery and thus help your trials riding, they probably will.

So I hope you enjoyed this very long first post of mine, food for thought perhaps. Also, please do not hesitate to ask me any questions if you would likely anything explained better

-Showurcolours

• Like 2

Showurcolours - I appreciate your input, it's great to hear an educated viewpoint.

As a small 'update' to this topic. I currently weigh 15 stone 1 lb, I recently got back out on the bike and attended a local ride in Lancaster using my brakeless 24". During the ride I had a quick go on a friends 26" and was able to sidehop 50". Obviously after a break from riding my technique will not be the as good as it used to be, my previous best was 53" on a different bike of similar weight. The point I'm making is that perhaps the work I have put in the gym with strength and conditioning training and improved nutrition has contributed improving the power I am able to use on the bike.

Maybe it is just the competitive side of me, but when I participate in any form of sport I aim to be the best I can possibly me and will use any tools I can to improve. I have a few ideas of exercises I plan to implement into my weight routine to see if I can improve the size of my moves. The supplements that I currently use while weight training with the aim of cutting fat whilst maintaining muscle are Gold Standard Whey protein, Animal Pak multi vits, BCAAs and CLAAs. I am also using Dave Palumbo's Keto diet.

I will keep everyone updated!

This is just a quick criticism I can see from what you've posted. Dave's Keto Diet is great for a body builder, who works out maybe 2-3 times a day (yes a day) with a well structured routine, however, as for a trials rider (I understand you are trying to balance both), I don't see it containing the necessary carb's to properly fuel a prolonged ride or multiple sessions per week. Obviously if you are going to be working out, working and doing trials, you will need carb's to essentially fuel your body.

This is just a quick criticism and I am in no way saying you should change it, if you feel comfortable with it and you are seeing desired results, keep it up. BUT if you start to find you are getting tired quickly or losing weight faster than you should; then you might need to take on board more carb's.

Another quick warning is the amount of supplements and protein you are consuming, this can severely damage the liver and kidneys (not trying a health scare, but again if any problems persist then definitely look at lowering the amount)

Either way I wish you best of luck and if you find the desired results without any contraindications or side effects then you can completely ignore what I've said, like you said, keep us all posted and I'm sure we will all (I definitely will) help as best as we can :)

-Showurcolours

I might just be 15 years old but I've learned abit about nutrition and how it works on me. I've been lifting weight for a while now, not thaaat long though, and I've changed what I eat to better and healthier food. I've been noticing a big difference in my riding, my bike feels lighter and I can go longer and higher for a longer period of time, which is awesome. I don't eat or drink any proteine shakes or bars or whatever, regular food is the shit. I've been more muscular, and I just feel..better:)

Regarding the energy drinks, I drink them quite often mainly because I tastes so good. But I don't know that much what they contain... My mother is a scientist, but she works with cancer and genes etc. BUT she still knows abit about the energy drinks, the thing she says is that they are bad for you since they contain a subject which dries you out and mostly your cells, this mixed with stress makes some people die because the sells just die out. They aren't good for the heart, but if you drink one every one in a while it's nothing to worry about. The cheaper energy drinks contains a subject which binds with fat which isn't that good for your liver or any part of you haha.

That sounds like your saying caffeine isn't addictive?

This steps a little outside my biology knowledge but there's a difference between something you get psychologically addicted to, and something that's actually addictive.

I'd like to see showurcolours' explanation for it, because I've forgotten, lol.