What Makes A Rim Brake Loud ?

Maxx

Hi,

The other day I was wondering, what makes a hs33 or others rim brakes loud ?

The sound make me to think it's a kind of vibration, but I don't know what parts of the bike ?

Rim ? pads ? slave cylinder ? brake clamps ? bolts ? frame ?

And I've heard that without booster we get more bite, why ? Shouldn't it be the contrary ?

I don't know for sure, but some frames seem to make more noise than others because (I think) the sound is amplified by the tubing thickness and shape. My dads kortz 2 made more noise than his Born, and the tubing on the kortz was larger and thinner. So like they said, the pad vibrates, and when that happens it works like the old phonographs in a way where it amplifies the sound. I don't think the brake pad on its own would be very loud rubbing on a rim if it was attached to something solid, not hollow.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Nannerman

I don't know for sure, but some frames seem to make more noise than others because (I think) the sound is amplified by the tubing thickness and shape. My dads kortz 2 made more noise than his Born, and the tubing on the kortz was larger and thinner. So like they said, the pad vibrates, and when that happens it works like the old phonographs in a way where it amplifies the sound. I don't think the brake pad on its own would be very loud rubbing on a rim if it was attached to something solid, not hollow.

Just my thoughts.

It was my thought too : how a pad (considering it's just 'plastic') can produce a sound like this ? The sound is a 'metallic vibration', isn't it ?

My theory was it's just the vibration of the pads which is repercuted on the clamps/cylinder/frame. This can explain why hard pads are louder (because they transfer better the vibration).

It was my thought too : how a pad (considering it's just 'plastic') can produce a sound like this ? The sound is a 'metallic vibration', isn't it ?

My theory was it's just the vibration of the pads which is repercuted on the clamps/cylinder/frame. This can explain why hard pads are louder (because they transfer better the vibration).

The noise is wholely from the pad, there is so much force being transfered that as the pad grips, the wobble means that the pad is not touching the rim with 100% of its surface so the engery is also expelled as noise as the friction increases on the part of the pad that is still making contact with the rim. what does change the noise is different types of rims. Although the noise would and does reverb through the frame and slaves different types of frame would not make such an audible difference as the noise from the rim normally covers it up, basically.

why do brakes make such little noise if there's no tyre on?

i´d guess that youre not standing on your bike without tyres on,so i´d say theres pretty much no force applied to the system rim-brake-frame...

tyres are rotating mass,too,explaining why theres a diference.

Edited by FamilyBiker

The noise is wholely from the pad, there is so much force being transfered that as the pad grips, the wobble means that the pad is not touching the rim with 100% of its surface so the engery is also expelled as noise as the friction increases on the part of the pad that is still making contact with the rim. what does change the noise is different types of rims. Although the noise would and does reverb through the frame and slaves different types of frame would not make such an audible difference as the noise from the rim normally covers it up, basically.

If the sound comes only from pad wobble (or almost) why a booster reduce sound ? Booster doesn't reduce pad wobble so ... ?

Sound also change with pads compounds.

Despite your explication I can't still understand how plastic pads can produce any sounds on aluminium rims.

Canardweb can you explain your point of view ?

If the sound comes only from pad wobble (or almost) why a booster reduce sound ? Booster doesn't reduce pad wobble so ... ?

Sound also change with pads compounds.

Despite your explication I can't still understand how plastic pads can produce any sounds on aluminium rims.

Canardweb can you explain your point of view ?

Those vibrations are transfered into the frame, if you use booster, this transfer is limited, so noise is reduced. I guess lol.