Anyone Else Have A Problem Getting It Up?

Mtbr

The front wheel that is!

Do you generally have to lean back, pedal forward, and pull up with all your might to wheelie?

(And even then I can only get the front tyre about 30cm off the ground.)

Maybe its my setup that could use some help?

26" wheel, 170mm crank arm, 100mm 25 degree stem, 22T chainring, and 18T cog.

Sound ok or should i change something?

Ps. was thinking of changing the cog to 22T and putting a 30mm 25 degree stem on for the time being.

Better?

post-34333-0-99910600-1353425475_thumb.j

Stand up on the pedals, move your hips towards the bars, pull up while putting a half pedal stroke in to get the front wheel off the floor, as its coming up lean back and get your bum low/sit down. A half pedal stroke and a fluid movement of weight from over the front of the bike to the back of the bike low down should be enough to get you to the balance point, then continue pedalling like a boss, using your back brake to help keep you on the balance point.

You'll know when you get it because it'll happen in a split second, and you'll be on the floor clutching your arse/coccyx in massive amounts of pain :)

(Ps welcome)

• Like 1

If you find it hard to do it without pedals; try compressing down and then moving your body weight backwards horizontally and then pull up once the front wheel is off the floor, rather than just moving up and back. Seems to work for me on bikes with a lower bb.

I can say I have this problem, having only just started trials riding myself.

I feel that mine is more attributed to a lack of strength and balance though, I'm getting better at getting the front wheel up to a decent height but it's keeping it there that's the problem for me. Like everyone says, it just practice. From what I can tell most trials riders make it look incredibly easy when in fact, it isn't at all! There's also a lot of coordination and timing involved and I reckon that can only be improved with practice. So yeah, us n00bs just gotta keep at it really (Y)

• Like 1

Cool! Thanks for the suport!

I tried riding for about a 1/2 hour just now, working on it a little more.

Like you say, just keep at it and it seems I'm getting the front wheel a little higher.

It seems when riding I'm standing over the handlebars a little too much but that is only my comparison to my riding of other bikes.

In reality it's probably my subconscious fear of falling backwards that's prohibiting me from pulling up harder. LOL!!!

What I prolly need to do is go down to the sandbox or school where the green grassy fields will be softer and just let it fly!

:teehee:

Edited by Mtbr

Cool! Thanks for the suport!

I tried riding for about a 1/2 hour just now, working on it a little more.

Like you say, just keep at it and it seems I'm getting the front wheel a little higher.

It seems when riding I'm standing over the handlebars a little too much but that is only my comparison to my riding of other bikes.

In reality it's probably my subconscious fear of falling backwards that's prohibiting me from pulling up harder. LOL!!!

What I prolly need to do is go down to the sandbox or school where the green grassy fields will be softer and just let it fly!

:teehee:

thats a good idea, practice bailing as it will come in handy :wink:

I was actually thinking of going that route but in the US trials isn't very popular. I could visit 100+ bike shops in my area and not see one trials bike. Matter of fact I bought mine second hand because I couldn't find anything. People must import them through the mail or something as they are etremely rare to find. That goes for the parts as well. See this ebay link, there is hardly anything to choose from as far as "Trials bike" parts, especially high angle stems. http://www.ebay.com/...=7294&_from=R40

I'd like to get a high angle long stem but just don't know where to go. Everyone on ebay in UK will not ship to US.

In riding my bike a little more last evening I am getting the front tyre a bit higher but it is really difficult. Looking at my bike and comparing to some of the really nice bike pictures posted on-line it looks like my hands are a little too far forward over the front axle. See the angle of the stem in this pic. Where could I buy something like this?

post-34333-0-63852000-1353514832_thumb.j

Probably is :P

Try dragging your back brake while you're pulling up, that way you'll be ready on the brake if it starts going the wrong way, and you wont panic and grab it when you dont really need to, that was the 'ah ha' moment for me.

I'd like to get a high angle long stem but just don't know where to go.

The reason you see long high stems on modern bikes is because the BB is so high.

Your bike looks like it has 0 or very little BB rise so maybe a long high stem isn't the best option.

Hi CalopS.

I don’t understand the correlation between the bottom bracket and stem. When I look at my bike it seems the BB is lower and further forward which would seemingly make it more difficult to get the front end up because my weight is further forward of the rear axle, no? Are you saying it’s not going to make much of a difference what stem I put on because its more of a BB geometry issue?

J Mc it seems like the bike is front loaded or front heavy. I just touch the front brake and I'm up on the bars with the rear wheel way high in the air. Super easy to do front endo's! I was hoping a higher stem might get some weight back on the rear wheel but CalopS may have a good point about the geo of the BB & chain stays now that I'm thinking about it.

I was just trying to point out that just because modern bikes come with high long stems that it doesn't mean it'l work on yours.

If you looks at frames from past to now as the bb has gotten higher the stems have gotten bigger to balance it out

Fair enough. I was on the Tarty website just now looking at the stems and saw this little video from them pop up on the screen. It was an informational video which indicated a taller stem is good for taller riders. Since I'm 185cm I'm thinking I might give it a shot to see if it makes a difference. Stay tuned. ;)

Hi CalopS.

I don’t understand the correlation between the bottom bracket and stem. When I look at my bike it seems the BB is lower and further forward which would seemingly make it more difficult to get the front end up because my weight is further forward of the rear axle, no? Are you saying it’s not going to make much of a difference what stem I put on because its more of a BB geometry issue?

J Mc it seems like the bike is front loaded or front heavy. I just touch the front brake and I'm up on the bars with the rear wheel way high in the air. Super easy to do front endo's! I was hoping a higher stem might get some weight back on the rear wheel but CalopS may have a good point about the geo of the BB & chain stays now that I'm thinking about it.

Basically if you have a high BB you need a high rise stem to compensate the fact your stood up higher than you would be with a low BB bike. Being tall does come into it to a degree but the difference between say a 120 x 17° which would probably suit your bike to a 165 x 35° mod stem is a hell of a lot. It may seem easier to lift the front with a very high stem but due to the BB height when on the back wheel the front end will be quite low which will make it hard to balance, a lower stem will allow the front end to come higher helping get the centre of gravity more over the rear wheel and help balance.

Well, I'm a noob to trials so can't really offer too much insight but I'm 186cm and looking at getting a 90x35 - but that might be because I ride a 24" so it would suit the bike better.

Maybe some beautiful person could offer a better explanation (Y)

On a street 24 the requirements for components is different to a traditional trials bike. Your setup is going to be focused more towards general 2 wheel control to help bunnyhops, spins, etc whereas a traditional bike is focused more (not completely) towards rear wheel control and static moves

• Like 1

Thanks Dave! Thanks makes good sense.

Btw, checked out your blog and really like your style! I've ridden bmx for many many years and never used brakes so am very accustomed to not using them now. I agree it trains your brain to do things differently as of now I'm trying to train my brain to use them. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I started trials around april, and now i stopped it with a "good" balance ( i a that kind of guy who can fell from his legs even when im standing) and i just need soe ore practice at there ( do not laugh about this progression :/). I just got a " new" mod bike ( i nearly broke it because of the lack of knowledge lol) and it was waay ore better, altough it was around 5 kg lighter then the other.

2 things: if you can, buy lighter parts. tartybikes are awesome, helpfull guys, i recomennd them

Practice. Practice. Even more practice. Trashzen.com is a good website to start with, but you can find good videos on youtube, or in here, at beginner trials chat topic.

Last thing: you can always ask question here. This forum helped me a lot, here i got my new parts for my bike, got lots of information, and spent a lot of time at chit chat at school when i was bored. If you have any problems, ask here, someone will answer it.