Emigration

Luke Dunstan

My and the Missus are planning on leaving the UK, She's on the road to becoming a primary school teacher, so at least one of us has a skill!

We were thinking Australia or Canada, I'm leaning towards Canada as I'd prefer to be confronted by a grizzly bear than a huntsman spider. :P

To be honest though, I'm open minded and just think life is too short. We're over 1/4 of that way through our lives and have realised there's more to life than dead end jobs and drizzle.

Has anyone emigrated out of the UK? if so where to and how did you find the experience?

Thanks!

I think that bikeperson45 might have mentioned something about this once or twice...

But yea, JT! is one who's been living in America for a while now, but he moved over to be with his missus rather than moving over with her so I don't know how different the process would be. Also, I'm aware that America is not Canada.

I think that bikeperson45 might have mentioned something about this once or twice...

It's a big life change and I've got no one else to talk to over here at the moment :P

But I'm not much help, I have dual citizenship so it's easy for me. Although winter in Canada is long and harder than the British, so you'd really have to bear that in mind.

It's a big life change and I've got no one else to talk to over here at the moment :P

But I'm not much help, I have dual citizenship so it's easy for me. Although winter in Canada is long and harder than the British, so you'd really have to bear that in mind.

Yeah, I will need to to a lot of research in to it and travel over for a holiday to see how it would suit us.

Thanks Rob. (Y)

dont forget about Iraq its a nice place, dont let these bbc news reports put you off!

Yeeeeeaaahhhh, that's in the maybe pile.

• Like 1

Yeah, I will need to to a lot of research in to it and travel over for a holiday to see how it would suit us.

Thanks Rob. (Y)

Yeeeeeaaahhhh, that's in the maybe pile.

My cousin has moved all over, ireland, s africa, saudi arabia, america and has been in australia for the past 5 to 6 years i think. he loves it out there, says its a keeper.

maybe book a 2 week visit for each place you want to go and get a taste for it

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

My cousin has moved all over, ireland, s africa, saudi arabia, america and has been in australia for the past 5 to 6 years i think. he loves it out there, says its a keeper.

maybe book a 2 week visit for each place you want to go and get a taste for it

Yeah, I've got a friend who lives in Australia so might see if he could put up with us for a week or so.

Really couldn't handle spiders though, he's met 2 and one of them was crawling up his leg when he was pissing against a fence

If that was me...

tumblr_ltt04gBKVt1qk8gdu.gif

From what I've heard Canada is easier to Emigrate to, you don't have to bring a trade (clearly be a lumberjack) all you need is $10,000 personal money so they know you won't end up being a burden.
I can't believe you actually think someone can just buy their way in to Canada with £6250? :lol:

Canada is an absolute b*****d just to get a 1 year working visa for.

Last year Canada only gave out 5350 1 year work visa's to UK applicants, they were all taken by May and everyone else now has to wait until next years applications open in January. You have to be aged 18-30, the application requires a UK police check (plus additional police checks if you have been living long enough in other countries) and a load of visa forms that you have to send to the Canadian Embassy. It then takes weeks for them to process the application, once they are happy you have to pay them the visa fee and eventually they grant you a 1 year working visa. Last year lots of people had to wait a good 3 months for the application to be processed. At the point of entering Canada to activate the visa you have to show evidence of £1600 minimum savings to support you.

If you want to go to Australia on 1-2 year work visa it apparently takes about 30 minutes over the internet and the visa gets electronically attached to your passport.

I can't believe you actually think someone can just buy their way in to Canada with £6250? :lol:

Canada is an absolute b*****d just to get a 1 year working visa for.

Last year Canada only gave out 5350 1 year work visa's to UK applicants, they were all taken by May and everyone else now has to wait until next years applications open in January. You have to be aged 18-30, the application requires a UK police check (plus additional police checks if you have been living long enough in other countries) and a load of visa forms that you have to send to the Canadian Embassy. It then takes weeks for them to process the application, once they are happy you have to pay them the visa fee and eventually they grant you a 1 year working visa. Last year lots of people had to wait a good 3 months for the application to be processed. At the point of entering Canada to activate the visa you have to show evidence of £1600 minimum savings to support you.

If you want to go to Australia on 1-2 year work visa it apparently takes about 30 minutes over the internet and the visa gets electronically attached to your passport.

Just proves how much research I have to do! I thought you had to bring a trade to the country, gunsmith came up but I never got a qualification.

Just proves how much research I have to do! I thought you had to bring a trade to the country, gunsmith came up but I never got a qualification.

i was looking at info on australia as i want to live there when i am a little older, will have a trade too. i came across a point system they have some of the things which are worth good points is trades, age, grades, family ect think it was between 40-60 points you needed and a trade and age takes up half of that im sure

• Like 1

Australia is a pretty decent place to be, and it's not so different to the UK, other than the weather. I'm in Queensland Aus. now (only visiting, not living) and it's 30 degrees!! Ideal for the European winter months.

You might like to consider Asia. Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok are great cities, they're very affordable and English teachers can find work. You can have all the mod cons, a decent modern apartment, the rapid transit systems are good and you're ideally placed for weekends or holidays away in places like Korea, Cambodia, Aus + NZ aren't far away, etc. Visas are less of an issue, and if you're crafty you can get away with a visa run over the border every 3-6 months. It's what I'll be doing from March I think.

I dug Canada as a place, but the problem with there is of course the whole visa thing, but it's a while since I looked into that. I considered moving there in 2010 but abandoned the idea for various reasons. Of course, if you could find a job there in advance you'd probably be sorted. I know that they have or used to have a list of trades where they needed more people.

My ideal lifestyle would be to have October to June in Asia or Australia, and then perhaps spend some of the summer in Europe (but not the UK).

It's not quite that easy to get a 1 year working VISA here, but it's certainly a lot easier then Canada. The main difference, is the easier VISA for 1 year won't allow you to stay without lot's of money, a work sponsorship or a relative living here.

I've been in Australia for 3 months now after my work sent me over. On a 457 VISA now which runs out November 2014, was easy to get as work sponsored me.

Australia is vastly different to the UK. if you are into cars, you will find it hard, if you like beer, you will be skint, if you can any kind of job to do with mines and want to do FIFO for a few months, then expect to earn 100k+ and only need to spend 1 week at home out of 4, so your whole months wages need only last 1 week.

Leaving the UK makes you appreciate just how f**ked the UK is. Only thing i miss from the UK is my friends, family, the NHS and the stupidly relaxed car laws compared to here.

If you do try Australia, few heads up. There is a SHIT load of travellers and migrants here, so finding a place to live is hard. 20% year on year migrants, and ony %2 year on year housing increase. If you come to WA (Perth), everything is expensive. Only thing cheaper is public transport and some groceries. Lifestyle is excellent, people are mostly excellent and the place is awesome.

Just be prepared to live outside your comfort zone to make new friends and connections.

Can't recommend it enough, best thing i've ever done.

Ok, well I guess what I meant is that compared to the differences between the UK and Asia, Australia doesn't seem so different, and because I was in Asia for a while first going to Australia (Melbourne) felt like going back to the UK. Not least because of all the border control stuff, cops, drinking culture, etc. But yeah, I hear you on the beer, shit's expensive...

I agree on the perspective it gives you on the UK, being away.

I moved to Australia 5 years ago. I firstly moved the Brisbane QLD, bought a house etc.. Recently (6 months ago) I moved to Melbourne. Easily the best city I have ever visited / lived in. My job involved extensive flights around Aus (120 flights last year). In fact, I have just returned from my trip to Perth and Adelaide, off to Sydney on Friday.

Melbourne offers an amazing climate. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I am a fan of seasons. QLD has just got one season really… hot most of the time. I love Melbourne for its food, coffee and diverse culture PLUS most importantly its riding scene :). I think it was voted the most liveable city in the world two years running..

Simon mentioned Perth being expensive. IT IS!!! The mining industry has inflated prices ridiculously!! Those 'cashed up bogans' love to splash their cash. So, unless you are prepared to work down the mines and earn the MEGA $$$ I would not recommend Perth. However, it is a pretty cool city but good coffee is hard to come by ;p

Regarding living costs in Aus, everything is generally relative.. For instance the average wage in Aus is $65,000 pa and in the UK its approx 22,000 grand. My weekly food bill is around $180 and in the UK it was 60 quid.. Do the math. I can provide loads more examples for cars, properties, watches, bikes, photography equipments etc.. THE THING is that the Aussie $ is so strong at the moment.. For the UK tourist to visit Aus you are getting your pants pulled down.. However, for the Aussie tourist to visit the UK we have BIG smiles CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! My student loan is being paid off nicely. (Yes you still have to pay off your loan even if you have left the country lol).

Australia is the land of opportunity for people that are willing to work HARD to reap its FULL AMAZING BENEFITS!!!

Oh, I came over here because my girlfriend is Aussie. I am now a permanent resident.

Happy choosing!

From what I've heard Canada is easier to Emigrate to, you don't have to bring a trade (clearly be a lumberjack) all you need is $10,000 personal money so they know you won't end up being a burden.

I emigrated to the USA after marrying a US citizen and that was pretty painful process. First thing's first, as far as I know Canada's immigration laws are much like the USA's, you can't just decide to move to either country, there's got to be a reason for you being there. To get into a country like Canada or the USA because of your profession, it must be something that is in very much needed in the country that isn't being fulfilled by it's citizens already. So I think if you went down the path of applying to become a citizen because of your profession you're going to struggle and not really stand much of a chance.

There was literally no other way of me being able to live in the USA without getting married.

But even if your missus's job does mean you can move out there, you guys will most certainly have to be married if you aren't already, and that probably goes for Australia too. So that would be the first step before even applying for anything.

you guys will most certainly have to be married if you aren't already, and that probably goes for Australia too. So that would be the first step before even applying for anything.
Not with Australia, a friend has been out there for a few years with his long term Australian girlfriend and there are ways for him to stay without having to get married.
  • Like 1

He went there on a working holiday visa over 3 years ago and is now living out there on some sort of relationship visa. He had been in a relationship with the girl while she was over in the UK before he went out there to live with her. To get to where he is now took a lot of research and paperwork but he did not have to get married.

Thanks for all the info chaps, there's a lot to think about. I have a feeling if Kay doesn't get in to Uni in Oxford (we find out this week) then she's allowed to do the Australian equivalent out there. I don't know if that would enable me to go with her but that's certainly be the plan.

He went there on a working holiday visa over 3 years ago and is now living out there on some sort of relationship visa. He had been in a relationship with the girl while she was over in the UK before he went out there to live with her. To get to where he is now took a lot of research and paperwork but he did not have to get married.

Wow, if you're not mistaken then Aus must really have some lax immigration laws. It's probably because of the spiders.

This is basically how I got my permanent residence. I began on a working holiday visa then to a de fecto visa and finally PR was granted. TOOK SO MUCH paperwork and time! My girlfriend is Aussie and I am not married.

Wow, if you're not mistaken then Aus must really have some lax immigration laws. It's probably because of the spiders.

Not Lax at all. One of the hardest countries to get into to. Oh, and one of the very few that is still in Economic growth.

• Like 1