Gt Proto Pics

ghostrider88

I think it looks pretty nice to be honest, geo sounds good and I like the old school polished look with the retro styled graphics.

I think it's a shame in my opinion that a company as big as GT hasn't pushed a bit towards more modern frame features such as tapered head tube, (run a reducer cup until TrialTech etc start making tapered forks) may be a 150mm backend with a through axel and an 83mm bb shell with a press fit bottom bracket similar to the Echo/Spanish bb. Trials frames are so specific to our sport now yet were still using standards that the rest of the bike industry moved on from ages ago.

I think it looks pretty nice to be honest, geo sounds good and I like the old school polished look with the retro styled graphics.

I think it's a shame in my opinion that a company as big as GT hasn't pushed a bit towards more modern frame features such as tapered head tube, (run a reducer cup until TrialTech etc start making tapered forks) may be a 150mm backend with a through axel and an 83mm bb shell with a press fit bottom bracket similar to the Echo/Spanish bb. Trials frames are so specific to our sport now yet were still using standards that the rest of the bike industry moved on from ages ago.

i agree, trials hasnt really moved on in a few years, i mean we should all be riding about on affordable carbon frames by now, but monty have only just devloped them yet racing bikes have been like it for years! although it does mean that the old tech that we still use works well for us that people feel little need to change it? if it aint broke dont fix it!

What hub would you use?

looks ok, bit old school in my eyes, i couldn't see myself riding it. looks rather heavy to, but GT should make trials grow bearing in mind they should make 20" frames and 24" frames

Heavy? Coust v2 was like 1600g and that was 5years ago if not more...Hardly heavy.

i agree, trials hasnt really moved on in a few years, i mean we should all be riding about on affordable carbon frames by now, but monty have only just devloped them yet racing bikes have been like it for years! although it does mean that the old tech that we still use works well for us that people feel little need to change it? if it aint broke dont fix it!

I agree that it does work currently but with companys like TryAll developing carbon forks why not use that opportunity to introduce tapered steerer tubes and qr15 front axels? If I was spending £300+ retail on forks I'd want something a bit more to be honest.

Imagine if the TryAll carbon forks were more along the lines of the Niner RDO forks?

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rdofork

It just needs some of the big brands to prove new technology at the higher price points to work, then it will slowly filter down towards the low/mid end stuff.

• Like 2

What hub would you use?

Heavy? Coust v2 was like 1600g and that was 5years ago if not more...Hardly heavy.

Really wouldn't be that hard to provide one as part of a frame kit, rear hubs (when using front freewheels) are so basic it'd be easy to make a 150mm one.

Edited by narrowbars

Using external bb would be more benefical in my opinion.

Possibly although that would mean no crank options currently available (front freewheel). Also external bb is slowly being phased out at the higher/mid end road/mountain bikes with moves to bb30/press fit bb30 etc.

A larger scale (width ways) to an Echo/Spanish press fit would be pretty good in my opinion :)

Edited by narrowbars

Oooooor press fit external bearings lol. You could do it as echo did few years ago, external bb cups with isis spindle,just a bit longer to freewheel clear...Bigger bearings further away-win win situation.

I'd get rid of the threaded cups completely, press the bearing into the frame exactly as the current Echo bb etc just wider at the 83mm bb width like a lot of dh bikes.

Edited by narrowbars

It looks a bit 90s, if you know what I mean?

I'd put that down to the GT stickers alone. As for making it a 150mm rear end with through axle, why? It's not like people are snapping hubs left, right and centre and you'd only get complaints about the extra weight.

• Like 1

I'd put that down to the GT stickers alone. As for making it a 150mm rear end with through axle, why? It's not like people are snapping hubs left, right and centre and you'd only get complaints about the extra weight.

This ^

• Like 1

Frame stiffness, wider spaced hub flanges offer a better strength wheel build etc + less limitations for possible future designs may be? if not 150mm then may be adapt to the 143mm standard. If they were making a rear hub may be also look at a spline fitting rather than threaded for the rear sprocket. That would help with removal of worn rear sprockets and reduce the risks of rear hub threads stripping under load.

Wider bb shell will likely need the extra width rear end for chain line etc, the wider bb shell would also help with drivetrain stiffness and tyre clearances. Look at the current frames and how much the chainstays have to kink inwards to join the bb shell.

The stuff we use at the moment does do it's job I just wish the trials world had a bit more r&d rather than the same offerings from all the manufactures.

Hopefully a large company such as GT could look at trials from a different angle rather than just copying everyone else.

I don't see any point in a 150mm rear end for trials, but a 73mm bb shell standard would make sense for clearance, most people just have spacers on a 68mm shell anyway, get rid of 68mm, it's been around a while & was fine when we all had 6 gears & 1.95 tyres.

143mm hubs seems pointless too, changing the industry for 3.5mm either side.