Bike shops sure know their stuff!

ForrestDump

Gu'day everyone!

Well it has been a while since I've been active on the forum but I thought this needed sharing with the community.

A friend of mine that I ride with back home needed a new wheel build, basically just to put a different, straighter rim onto his existing hub. I'm sure that we all know that it's a lot easier to lace a wheel with the sprocket off the the hub right? And I'm sure we all have a similar way to removing said sprocket. Well, long story short, this is how his local bike shop went about removing the sprocket...

post-29186-0-70175600-1358167768_thumb.j post-29186-0-04083900-1358167811_thumb.j post-29186-0-20019100-1358167823_thumb.j

I wasn't there when he got his freshly built wheel back but I wish I could have seen his face! I would have been horrified!!

Thanks for reading,

James

wtf

why not use a chainwhip or gently clamp the sprocket in soft jawed vice to get it off by turning the wheel.

was it a Halfords by any chance ?

i know they get bloody tight but that's something else i hope your friend stands up for himself and either gets them to replace the hub and cog or gets his money back and demands a new cog.

Edited by swill

wtf

why not use a chainwhip or gently clamp the sprocket in soft jawed vice to get it off by turning the wheel.

i know they get bloody tight but that's something else i hope your friend stands up for himself and either gets them to replace the hub and cog or gets his money back and demands a new cog.

Chain whips aren't meant to take that much load, so they just snap. There's a good tutorial on tarty bikes on how to take one off.

wtf

why not use a chainwhip or gently clamp the socket in soft jawed vice to get it off by turning the wheel.

It wasn't Halfords, just a standard local bike shop, good for most things, just not trials I suppose after this. Considering this was on a 26" wheel and I can manage to remove sprockets from a 19" wheel build they shouldn't of had too much problem given the extra leverage!! Oh and I forgot to mention...

They charged him £50 for the wheel build!!

wtf

Because that's unlikely to work, they are on there REALLY tight. There are a couple of ways to get them off, but a local bike shop is unlikely to figure them out.

The hub while being damaged, is still perfectly usable. Not that I'm defending the shop as they shouldn't be damaging anything. I assume he wanted to keep the cog though, was this expressed when he took it in?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW

glad i do all my own work on my bike, think an untrained chimp with a serious head wound is more capable than most bike shops. i've never had an issue getting a sprocket off either, using a chain whip and a small vice.

50 quid for a wheel build is a bit steep too, i'd be giving them some serious shit if i was your mate for ripping him off.

Because that's unlikely to work, they are on there REALLY tight. There are a couple of ways to get them off, but a local bike shop is unlikely to figure them out.

The hub while being damaged, is still perfectly usable. Not that I'm defending the shop as they shouldn't be damaging anything. I assume he wanted to keep the cog though, was this expressed when he took it in?

I've always used the method that Adam posted on the Tartys site, sometimes it can be a struggle but I've always managed to get it off after a bit of hard work and effort. No idea if he specified wether he wanted to use the sprocket again... guess the shop decided that themselves.

Oh my word!! Please name and shame the shop.

And just for you Brad... Westham Cycles in Weymouth.

Its your money you want back!

Knowing them they probably wouldn't give anything back to me but i reckon if i get the right tools i will start doing it myself. There isnt a lot of room in my garage as its just bikes and load of random stuff around maybe if i get it cleared up a bit i could have a working bench or something. Annoyed that this is the second time something like this has happened.

I know that it's really bad to destroy things like that. But I don't think it's fully right to call them "unprofessional"... Of course they haven't seen a trials bike before, and I guess that they never had even touched one with a allen key, so how could they know how to properly remove a screw-on sprocket then? Of course you all know how to remove the sprocket, but I don't think that you know how to service a DH fork either (just a example).

I have know f**king idea though whey they want to remove a sprocket that they're clearly not capable of removing or even know about.