Bike shops sure know their stuff!

ForrestDump

the book tells you all that and has a troubleshooter to boot.

Should point out that this book is not the be all and end all. they may be better out there and youtube has How to's for nowt but my mam is old school and found my copy in the local book shop. Paper is available anytime too and doesn't freeze or need to buffer. (Y)

EDIT: Interestingly the bit i couldn't do beforehand was the lacing up. I could true, de-egg, tension from the ground up but couldn't lace. Aparantly lacing is the easy part (it is BTW, it's just patterns and repetition) but typically I learnt it backwards hehe.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

I loved doing the spoke part, but when it came to trueing and making sure the wheel wasn't egg shaped that's when I found it quite hard.

build in situe and use a zip tie to mark where it should be, start tightening the spokes at the high spot bit by bit and it kinda does its self. i also do a lot of measuring and spinning of the wheel while getting tension in the spokes. so long as you dont go wacking a load of tension in one spoke its should be reasonably straight forward once you have you head round the whole thing.

slow and steady wins the race, this certainly applies to wheel building for me :)

If anyone needs to read up o bike mechanics ect.

Google search " sheldon brown " he has a website dedicated to bike mechanics and info regarding bikes. The site doesn't miss a thing either its massivly detailed with trick of the trade.

• Like 1

Gu'day everyone!

Well it has been a while since I've been active on the forum but I thought this needed sharing with the community.

A friend of mine that I ride with back home needed a new wheel build, basically just to put a different, straighter rim onto his existing hub. I'm sure that we all know that it's a lot easier to lace a wheel with the sprocket off the the hub right? And I'm sure we all have a similar way to removing said sprocket. Well, long story short, this is how his local bike shop went about removing the sprocket...

attachicon.gif207769_519202881434192_1891821689_n.jpg attachicon.gif75081_519202861434194_1468312867_n.jpg attachicon.gif734200_519223254765488_1812025089_n.jpg

I wasn't there when he got his freshly built wheel back but I wish I could have seen his face! I would have been horrified!!

Thanks for reading,

James

Sounds like something that my local bike shop would do.

I like putting a film on and having a couple of beers when wheel building, for some reason I find it really relaxing haha

The Party with Peter Sellers is my personal choice when it comes to wheelbuilding movies. It's really relaxing and doesn't require much thought. I love the house in which they shot the film.

Big no no for drinking beers while wheel building. I'll find later on that I crossed one spoke incorrectly or put one into the wrong hole in the rim. That usually means that all the spokes you install subsequently end up in the wrong hole.

edit: as for the sprocket removal:

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 2

I love wheel building now. Definitely a good skill to have. Built around 6-7 wheelsets now. saves you money! Especially considering the amounts some places charge. If I had the money and they had workshop space fairly sharpish Id get tarty to do it though. THE best wheel build Ive ever had from those lads.

I would say its worth while most of you building at least one wheel. Mainly so you get to grips with trueing wheels so you can fix/patch up broken wheels when out on rides. It could mean walking home or riding. Especially if you run maggies

Regarding your bad luck with that shop, im quite happy to know that that kind of shit not only happens in my country (Portugal), there is like.. only 2 shops here that know anything about trials bikes, 2 shops in a whole country! Ahaha!

Im a bike mechanic for years, and i charge like 10£ for a wheelbuilt. Trusty and strong ones. 50£ is a rape my friend.

You should go to that shop and show them the Tarty Video about sprocket removal, it´s very good to learn something new everyday.

why didnt they just do a rim swap? tape old wheel to new rim, undo spoke, move it over etc...even with fresh lacing and new spokes they could have done it with the sprocket on,

but yeah, next time, just do it yourself, sheldon brown has all the information you could ever need

you must take into account how expensive living in different countries is.

i have to charge 50 euro for a wheel build,otherwise it wouldnt be worth it

Valid point I guess, but that price is amazing. I charge 9eur and that's considered fairly average, with an expensive build being about 12.5.