Tough mudder

ogre

I've just bought my ticket for tough mudder in september, i know its a long way off but it doesn't hurt to get training now... anyone else giving it a go? or done one before? also as a royal mail employee i can get matched fundraising for prostate cancer, so if you'd like to donate to my efforts i'll have some kind of link available soon...

I did the first one they introduced in the UK last May, it was amazing fun, I didn't feel much training was required, just need to make sure you can cover 10-12miles of mixed running and carrying logs on your shoulder and getting muddy as f**k... etc etc

you do get cuts and bruises though, and it's recommended that you can swim (though I can't and I did 95% of it)

tips: wear trainers you don't care about, or clothes for that matter.

training tips: just make sure you are generally fit and can cover long distance runs, the speed is set by yourself and the team so it doesn't matter, it's not a race and no one will be timing you. work on upper body stuff, you need to be able to pull your own weight consistently, and if you want to complete the greasy monkey bar challenge then start training on that front, I thought I was good at pull ups etc until I pulled myself onto the monkey bars - it's almost impossible if you have small hands!

You won't regret doing it!

Steve

Ah god, I really want to do something like this! How much swimming is involved? As I can't get my hearing aids wet. :(

Looks like you have to go through tons of mud :(

Can you not do stuff without them?

Surely there must be like, a more rugged model available, like for swimmers or whatever?

The venue and its obstacles changes, I had to be fully submerged twice and they're not even the main ones that require swimming.

There's one where you jump off a platform and have to swim 15m or so.

You can skip obstacles by the way, if you feel it will put yourself in danger ie drown then they actually rather you skipped it, I skipped the platform jump as I didn't feel confident enough to come back out the water after hah..

Stvee

• Like 1

I can swim and dive but I wouldn't be able to hear anything, it looks like an event where you want to be able to hear :P

I wear ear plugs and a headband while swimming to stop them falling out (I have a teeny hole in both my ear drums and when water gets in my ears I get an ear infection pretty much within a day) which is a bit gay, wish waterproof hearing aids were available haha :D

Edited by JMCD

I can swim and dive but I wouldn't be able to hear anything, it looks like an event where you want to be able to hear :P

I wear ear plugs and a headband while swimming to stop them falling out (I have a teeny hole in both my ear drums and when water gets in my ears I get an ear infection pretty much within a day) which is a bit gay, wish waterproof hearing aids were available haha :D

stretch a condom over your head?

George you do make me laugh sometimes haha :D

N.Wood, at one stage I nearly did. Travelled to Birmingham and they said my ear infections were too common for me to have one. At one stage I was in a London hospital and nearly had it done, I had enough of operations at the time (had about 2-3 a year) so I was massively put off. I'm so glad I didn't though, I got told I wouldn't be able to do sports as seriously if I did...

Anyway enough of my life story lol, just realised I have to be 18 to do this. Same with a zombie run, 6 months and I can do it. Going to try and do it regardless of my hearing issues, I won't let it stop me :)

ive done mad monk and the tough guy. Didnt train for either, tough guy is meant to be one of the toughest out there, i found it very enjoyable and pretty hard at some points but never thought 'i wish i trained for this' There are a fair few bits on the climbing sections where you do realise that if you slip you have a good chance of serious injury or death. The bit i enjoyed least was this underground thing (looks like sme sort of cattle shack from the outside then as you get in it goes dark and dips underground and you have to crawl through muddy water and there is logs all over the floor and wooden batons hanging down then 'WHACK' i thought some tw@ had hit me in the the head but i soon figured out there were a hell of alot of hanging electric wires and you get zapped all over. Once through you have to get through some pitch black long concrete tubes. Cut all my knees and elbows up on them (you cant crawl you have to lay flat and pull with your finger tips and push with your toes) Depending on which race length you choose you have to do it twice

Anyway, its not something i feel you need training for, however im not the unfittest bloke in the world, and i have a strong mentality of not quitting. But do them! they are amazing! I also got my favourite pic of me ever and its now a canvas on my wall in my room with my shitty little medal (i'll try post a pic but not sure if it will work as its from fb)

ps - i did the summer one, there is a winter tough guy (think it happened last weekend) and i would seriously have to push myself and train for that. I believe a large amount do not finish and alot get hypothermia and cold related injuries and illness. You are in muddy ice covered just above freezing water more than you are out of it, lets put it that way. 394575_10151339399648957_897146751_n.jpg

Edited by arw_86

Theres parts of the course throughout where electric wires are hanging. But there are alot in the dark underground bit and the first time i went in i didnt know and the first shock i got was on the back of my head. Felt like someone hit me with one of the wooden batons. Its kind of like crawling under a wooden floor space in older homes and there were gaps of light shining in and i just presumed there were people who worked for tough guy just abusing the crap out of us as we crawled through....but they were just electrocuting us instead with hanging wires. There is no way of avoiding them down there either, and you can only go past slowly as you are crawling where as in other parts of the course in the light you can jump/run past them.

Edited by arw_86

there's 2 sections with electric shocks in the Tough Mudder I went to, first was called the 'electric eel' and you have to crawl under hanging live wires under a frame, but it's on thin layer of water so you try and slide through it as quickly as possible.

I must say it's not the nicest feeling and it f**ked my reflex and literally threw me onto another live wire!

the second one was just the last obstacle and I had to just run through a set of them and it also zapped me to the ground, it's not high voltage though but enough to throw me when I was knackered.

484349_593025427786_1884099097_n.jpg

485797_593025387866_1619691339_n.jpg

Steve