Echo SL Freewheel

cai

After 2 years my silver/original SL exploded (the outer ring snapped in 3 places) today whilst riding rocks, thankfully I'm not too hurt.

I've had a look at the freewheel page on Tarty and the SL still looks like the top choice, but it's now black, is this still the same freewheel just with a colour change or has it had a complete re-design? Is it still as reliable as the original SL?

Ive got one of the prototypes which is just terrible, what other choices are there?

There's not a huge choice.

The Insprired 60 click looks the same as the 60 click Tensile freewheels, so both have the locking on the wrong side.

The 72 click viz/rockman and 108 click viz/rockman/try-all/trialtech look like catalogue parts - they may be okay though?

Then there's the Try-All 120.9 which could prove unreliable.

The rest of them are out of my price range..

It certainly seems to be holding up better.
The early SL freewheels were sweet, but it seems like the last few silver SL's were in the same boat as the current ones.
Me and two mates bought them just before they were discontinued, and all ours broke in under 6 months. Either cracking, skipping or gradually loosing engagements.

Im on my 3rd/4th SL now.

Bit out of my price range and the locking is on the wrong (like the Tensile).

I've got a Pro 2 Trials hub built onto a 26" rim so I'm going to build it onto my current 24" rim, it's a more reliable option than any of the current freewheels and I'll only have to fork out the money for spokes :)

i was going to say, how come everyone is running a FFW these days, they were only used for changing gears on a 26" when i started and everyone ran hope xc's. and if they are that unreliable still then what is the point. i have an original 06 hope pro 2 t on my bike at the moment, been there for the last 7 years, and there have been upgrades to this hub too so it hasnt even benefitted from the newer technology. and i would say i have been pretty harsh on my bike over the years. but no problems other than a bearing change and a spacer wearing. both easily replaced too.

engagement points arent that important anyways. if you look at what people managed on 21ep hubs, its really more important to just control your chain tension slightly, 48 should be plenty.

as for weight too, there is only about 100 grams in it with middleburn cranks or tryalls with a screw on cog and a light bash. unless you are going supremely light with ffw set up, but you arent with the SLs

anyone care to shed any light about why you use them when they seem so shit?

Edited by Ash-Kennard
  • Like 1

I used the original SL as there were great reviews for them at the time, saying that the EP's were spot on and that they were very reliable, which was true. It just seems that they've gone downhill since.

Over the last 4 years, whilst running a FFW on my 'trials bike', I've been running a Pro2 on my 'street bike' and its never skipped and they are so easy to service. Which is why I'll build that Pro2 onto my Echo TR rim.

Not fussed on weight, I just want reliablillity..