2013 Echo SL cranks.

SamKidney

The problem with echo stuff is that it either works really well or fails spectacularly. Imagine one of those sharp bits of metal slicing down your leg.

That's pretty much bang on.

New batch is going to be redesigned, Echo are aware of the problem.

Your essay was pointless. Every rider has different styles, rides different terrain, has different accidents, different spec and so on.

A little note isn't going to make any difference, and it's near impossible to give even an estimated life span.

Iz that b3tta blud?!!11

lolz th@ iz ldz b3ttr m8

im just trying to work out why it is that they can give a decent estimate for the lifespan of almost any component on a motorcycle, probably through extensive and thorough testing! and its the same with every motorcycle.. Every rider has different styles, rides different terrain, has different accidents, different spec and so on.. but yet from my experience, 9 times out of 10 those estimates turn out to be very accurate!

which is kind of what i was saying about trials parts in my "essay" on the previous page!.. do trials companies actually test many of the products they send out? i never actually hear any comprehensive reviews about any testing.. infact on the topic of these sl cranks the only things i have heard about them are actually within this topic right here.. and i quote

Whatever, Andrei's been beasting a set since last summer and hasn't broken his. I'd be pretty comfortable in getting a set

Tunnicliffe snap these cranks in 4 rides.

^^ these quotes actually back up what i said in my "essay" on the previous page! they perfectly sum up what i was getting at about the poor lack of information on most products in the trials world!

lolz th@ iz ldz b3ttr m8

im just trying to work out why it is that they can give a decent estimate for the lifespan of almost any component on a motorcycle, probably through extensive and thorough testing! and its the same with every motorcycle.. Every rider has different styles, rides different terrain, has different accidents, different spec and so on.. but yet from my experience, 9 times out of 10 those estimates turn out to be very accurate!

which is kind of what i was saying about trials parts in my "essay" on the previous page!.. do trials companies actually test many of the products they send out? i never actually hear any comprehensive reviews about any testing.. infact on the topic of these sl cranks the only things i have heard about them are actually within this topic right here.. and i quote

^^ these quotes actually back up what i said in my "essay" on the previous page! they perfectly sum up what i was getting at about the poor lack of information on most products in the trials world!

Andrei is a world class elite level rider, who is smooth and I would imagine reasonably light on parts, and light parts benefit him. Tunnicliffe is a TGS monster, who needs heavier parts that will last. Perhaps they would last a bit longer than 4 rides, but he'd probably break them at some point. Its all relative to the amount of strain they are being put under

lolz th@ iz ldz b3ttr m8

f**king hell mate don't cry

• Like 1

Andrei is a world class elite level rider, who is smooth and I would imagine reasonably light on parts, and light parts benefit him. Tunnicliffe is a TGS monster, who needs heavier parts that will last. Perhaps they would last a bit longer than 4 rides, but he'd probably break them at some point. Its all relative to the amount of strain they are being put under

yea i know who tunni and drei are and how they ride etc

it seems like the only testing that goes on is very secretive and none of the results from the testing are released, and im pretty sure people would like to know how things went with the tests that they did, rather than the only things that you ever find out about the testing of new parts is just utterly random chinese whispers on random forums!

I agree, there should be a bit more r+d and general testing on parts, but it won't happen. Because we are such an elitist sport, and most parts are unique to us, the companies can do what they want

f**king hell mate don't cry

nothing in my post has any realtion to crying whatsoever :rtt: !

anyway... read the first post on this whole topic, the guy was asking if those cranks snapping like that is a one off or has anyone else seen it happen! which is pretty much what i have been talking about... nobody really knows anything about how these new products are tested etc etc, and it clearly does influence peoples decisions on wether or not they buy the product or not!

it seems like the only testing that goes on is very secretive and none of the results from the testing are released, and im pretty sure people would like to know how things went with the tests that they did, rather than the only things that you ever find out about the testing of new parts is just utterly random chinese whispers on random forums!

products on there are the older ones, but if deng was using stress/strain analysis on 3d modeling software then, he probably is now....

http://www.echobike.com/

click the 'design' bit on the left.

also you mention that manufactures should put an estimated usage time info with their products (a warranty kind of gives you a clue), this would be pointless.....something would last me a million times longer than the same part would last damon for example......

i'd rather see a topic like this with a description of how long they lasted and how/what they rode, if they lasted 6 months doing chasm style drop-gaps and suffering a multitude of bashing then i'd draw my own conclusion from that...

• Like 2

nothing in my post has any realtion to crying whatsoever :rtt: !

anyway... read the first post on this whole topic, the guy was asking if those cranks snapping like that is a one off or has anyone else seen it happen! which is pretty much what i have been talking about... nobody really knows anything about how these new products are tested etc etc, and it clearly does influence peoples decisions on wether or not they buy the product or not!

Point is in a sport like trials you can never tell. Especially with extremely lightweight, new products.

yeah anodising doesn't make a shell, even if it does anodising still scratches off pretty easily so I doubt it would have any form of structural strength.

If you would compare both you will find the anodised is slightly stronger. Not alot but in a comparison.

Mavic also claimed that the ceramic coating they added to their rims years ago made them stronger.

i'd rather see a topic like this with a description of how long they lasted and how/what they rode, if they lasted 6 months doing chasm style drop-gaps and suffering a multitude of bashing then i'd draw my own conclusion from that...

i couldn't agree more with this, this would be a lot of help for with people with an above hollyoaks IQ level who are actually concerned about the parts that they decide to purchase!

i did point out that the estimated lifespan of parts that i was talking about was just an example! i was kind of hoping that someone would come up with something better than that, and you already have (Y)

Dont think drei has plain silver ones. I think you would be surprised how much stronger anodised aluminium is

If you would compare both you will find the anodised is slightly stronger. Not alot but in a comparison.

Mavic also claimed that the ceramic coating they added to their rims years ago made them stronger.

Contradiction much?

The amount of money trials companies have to put into there r+d will be minimal in comparison to basically all other products. It's such a niche market that the return on their investments simply isn't enough! In an ideal world trials would have as big a following as bmx for example and then we would have products being more heavily tested. But yeah, once a company has designed the product they will need the revenue from this as soon as possible to justify the investment.

i couldn't agree more with this, this would be a lot of help for with people with an above hollyoaks IQ level who are actually concerned about the parts that they decide to purchase!

i did point out that the estimated lifespan of parts that i was talking about was just an example! i was kind of hoping that someone would come up with something better than that, and you already have (Y)

Oh give it a rest. You're boring.

Oh give it a rest. You're boring.

give what a rest? i was agreeing with what trials hoe had suggested! sounds like he had a pretty good idea to me!

oh wait..... i assume you got offended by the "above hollyoaks IQ level" part of my post, and im sorry that you fall into that category!, anyway it would be a great help if you were to stop posting pointless/pathetic/pessimistic posts on this topic, as i was generally trying to work towards something that might be able to help out other riders.... and you keep coming out with really unhelpfull crap!

go and post your 6 word answers to everything on twitter, and let any meaningfull trials discussions continue on here

Edited by 24martin

give what a rest? i was agreeing with what trials hoe had suggested! sounds like he had a pretty good idea to me!

oh wait..... i assume you got offended by the "above hollyoaks IQ level" part of my post, and im sorry that you fall into that category!, anyway it would be a great help if you were to stop posting pointless/pathetic/pessimistic posts on this topic, as i was generally trying to work towards something that might be able to help out other riders.... and you keep coming out with really unhelpfull crap!

go and post your 6 word answers to everything on twitter, and let any meaningfull trials discussions continue on here

I'm not going to write bibliographical length answers to someone who fails to even make a valid point.

You clearly have an IQ level of a child if you think that a piece of paper saying 'such and such product will last so long' is going to give someone an accurate idea of lifespan and how much abuse that product can take.

Trials as a sport has no money whatsoever. Most companies will offer a 6 month warranty on parts.

I really don't think any more needs to be done. Get back on #towie.

Edited by harmertrials
  • Like 1

I'm not jumping on any hate band wagon but I do actually see your point like. The whole gamble on a part lasting weeks or months or years is just so so strange and a little incomprehensible as it wouldn't happen within any other sport. But as said trials is small but still I think more testing should be done.

• Like 1

I'm not going to write bibliographical length answers to someone who fails to even make a valid point.

You clearly have an IQ level of a child if you think that a piece of paper saying 'such and such product will last so long' is going to give someone an accurate idea of lifespan and how much abuse that product can take.

Trials as a sport has no money whatsoever. Most companies will offer a 6 month warranty on parts.

I really don't think any more needs to be done. Get back on #towie.

sorry but everything you have posted so far has been pessimistic and just generally not interesting, or even going against helping out other riders!

and your really taking the whole "piece of paper" thing wayyyyy overboard, it was an EXAMPLE after all!

obviously trials has no money as a sport... it probably makes up about 0.5% of the whole bicyle industry lol, but my concern was the riders who have no money whatsoever... they cant afford to keep buying expensive parts that they know nothing about and then they have to replace them every month because it failed on them!

ive tried out so many different parts in the past few years.. and i know i could have saved a heck of a lot of money/time/injuries if more information was readily available on the majority of these parts!

i think a section on this forum for bike parts like the pad reviews section would have helped me and hundreds of other riders out plenty of times!

so yea... i think rather than taking your idiotic and blissfully unaware approach of "Buy shit. Ride it. Break it. Buy more shit. S'all good"... i think something better than that can be done for us riders!

Get back on #towie.

oh i just had to google what a #towie was..... i still really dont know what you meant by that!

sorry but everything you have posted so far has been pessimistic and just generally not interesting, or even going against helping out other riders!

and your really taking the whole "piece of paper" thing wayyyyy overboard, it was an EXAMPLE after all!

obviously trials has no money as a sport... it probably makes up about 0.5% of the whole bicyle industry lol, but my concern was the riders who have no money whatsoever... they cant afford to keep buying expensive parts that they know nothing about and then they have to replace them every month because it failed on them!

ive tried out so many different parts in the past few years.. and i know i could have saved a heck of a lot of money/time/injuries if more information was readily available on the majority of these parts!

i think a section on this forum for bike parts like the pad reviews section would have helped me and hundreds of other riders out plenty of times!

so yea... i think rather than taking your idiotic and blissfully unaware approach of "Buy shit. Ride it. Break it. Buy more shit. S'all good"... i think something better than that can be done for us riders!

oh i just had to google what a #towie was..... i still really dont know what you meant by that!

Let's just leave it at that.

Andrei is a world class elite level rider, who is smooth and I would imagine reasonably light on parts

Haha, you could not be more wrong. The stress that Andrei puts through his bikes/parts is unreal - he breaks ALOT of parts