Why brakeless is so unpopular?

clerictgm

much in the same way as someone being able to see but keeping their eyes shut is different from actually being blind.

Although I'm pretty neutral in this debate, it has to be said Ali that having eyes and not using them is indisputably better than not having them. :P

• Like 1

Just saying why i think its unpopular.

That was all 'imo'.. I cant ride without brakes because i never have.. Just like i cant ride a unicycle... Im a beliver of "if one person can do it then so can you". So i dont see how brakeless is this amazing new thing that everyone should do.. Just looks like trials but with flatland tricks and bmxing. I like the look of brakes. Hydraulucs look pimp like a hope wi t'rezevour and t'piston and mmmm a wavey disk. I like.brakes.. Tell.me.how can you do a 'stoppie' from very high speed. And come all the way to a stop, then do some hopping on front wheel.... Show me a video of this brakeless...

.. Tell.me.how can you do a 'stoppie' from very high speed. And come all the way to a stop, then do some hopping on front wheel.... Show me a video of this brakeless...

You could nose manual, which you could in theory hold for longer, and then go into foot jam front wheel hops. Edited by Revolver

To be fair, I think the nature of Trials (the sport itself, not sub-divisions) requires you to have absolute control over your bike. You don't have absolute control if you cannot maintain the bike in a certain position required to perform a move/line/whatever. Although I'm constantly being proved wrong by Aener's vids, I still think riding with brakes gives you more possibilities. But at the end of the day, it's those who try something new or different that make trials interesting. And for that I enjoy watching people ride brakeless although I'd never try it myself because it's too difficult.

I suppose you could. From Nottinghamshire.. Not far from Faggotsville... :-$

I'm not too fussed about the whole brakeless thing, just felt obliged to mention how pathetic that insult, or whatever you want to call it, was. A 'your mum' thing might have even been some improvement.

That was all 'imo'.. I cant ride without brakes because i never have.. Just like i cant ride a unicycle... Im a beliver of "if one person can do it then so can you". So i dont see how brakeless is this amazing new thing that everyone should do.. Just looks like trials but with flatland tricks and bmxing. I like the look of brakes. Hydraulucs look pimp like a hope wi t'rezevour and t'piston and mmmm a wavey disk. I like.brakes.. Tell.me.how can you do a 'stoppie' from very high speed. And come all the way to a stop, then do some hopping on front wheel.... Show me a video of this brakeless...

>stoppie

Use the shoes, luke. Also there are similar thing but much cooler - nose manual.

>hopping on front wheel

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/148783/ - 2:16

Also up to fronts can be done absolutely without brakes/with your shoe.

It's not really that much different? You ride to what you think your limit is, but that limit's going to change if you switch to riding brakeless. It's like certain people always saying "I don't ride brakeless because I don't want to lose my teeth" - you look at what Ali, Rowan, Akkers, Flipp, thousands of BMXers, etc. get away with brakeless with no problems. With brakes on it felt like I was more likely to fall off because it alters how your bike rides, and it's more parts to rely on to not f**k up.

well it kinda is different. for me its polar opposite.

you do ride to what your limits are and all that, but at the end of the day it comes down to the rider.. i, for instance.. ride with brakes as its a lot safer for my riding style some things i dont have to use brakes on, but they are there if i need them and they act as a placebo affect maybe.

i tried brakless for a week and was always on the floor, then i got back on brakes.. and no falling off. id rather not need them but have them, rather than not have them and need them.

where as you mark, are much more confident in your abilities and skills so you dont need them.

really this whole debate is kinda pointless because people ride with what they feel comfortable with, and when we want to really test ourselves we will make it that little bit harder.

and for the record.. im sure flipp has a tooth missing, and half the bmx kids in my village have teeth out. hahaha. ;)

• Like 1

I'm not too fussed about the whole brakeless thing, just felt obliged to mention how pathetic that insult, or whatever you want to call it, was. A 'your mum' thing might have even been some improvement.

I know. Lol made me giggle though, there was no need for it but i suppose it was just what he felt like saying....

How many competitors were there in last years trials world champ that were brakeless? Or any in any series? British/spanish champs etc? This is a honest question.... Interestig too see how competative they are without brakes...

Good one.

• Like 1

How many competitors were there in last years trials world champ that were brakeless? Or any in any series? British/spanish champs etc? This is a honest question.... Interestig too see how competative they are without brakes...

You're not allowed to ride completions without brakes.

well it kinda is different. for me its polar opposite.

you do ride to what your limits are and all that, but at the end of the day it comes down to the rider.. i, for instance.. ride with brakes as its a lot safer for my riding style some things i dont have to use brakes on, but they are there if i need them and they act as a placebo affect maybe.

i tried brakless for a week and was always on the floor, then i got back on brakes.. and no falling off. id rather not need them but have them, rather than not have them and need them.

where as you mark, are much more confident in your abilities and skills so you dont need them.

really this whole debate is kinda pointless because people ride with what they feel comfortable with, and when we want to really test ourselves we will make it that little bit harder.

and for the record.. im sure flipp has a tooth missing, and half the bmx kids in my village have teeth out. hahaha. ;)

>debate is kinda pointless because people ride with what they feel comfortable with

No it's not. 90+% of riders even not tried brakeless(getting brakes off for 1 day doesnt count, few months with learning at least something gives you right to say "yeah, I tried brakeless and I like more to ride with brakes").

Saying brakeless is dangerous is so stupid. First 3 months riding brakeless I have absolutely NO falls, the progress was slow, but my riding was brakeless and 99% safe.

Anyway I don't see something so BAD in falling off. Trials is extreme sports. It's not riding in park on citybike.

Not going to add much as most people seem to be ignoring the reasoned debate anyway, but if you've not ridden without brakes for an extended period then you can't really comment on the brakeless side of things. Riding brakeless for an afternoon/week really isn't the same.

You didn't ride trials for a day and have it mastered, did you, so why would that be any different to brakeless?

Brakaless comps must be brakeless for all, because comps mean the same conditions for all.

Your argument is invalid.

Not going to add much as most people seem to be ignoring the reasoned debate anyway, but if you've not ridden without brakes for an extended period then you can't really comment on the brakeless side of things. Riding brakeless for an afternoon/week really isn't the same.

You didn't ride trials for a day and have it mastered, did you, so why would that be any different to brakeless?

Yeah, I could say "B R A K E L EE Z Z suxx!!111one" after trying to do some rear wheel hops at the first time and set my brakes back, telling everyone how brakeless is suxx/bad/impossible/idiotic/etc.

Honestly first feelings after my 1st brakelss ride was FRUSTRATION(omgomg how Flipp can do this it's so difficult). But I beated it and now I can do much more than RWHops.