Why brakeless is so unpopular?

clerictgm

Nothing wrong with it and its cool etc. Just not what i class as trials in strict sporting terms. And some folk are flogging it like its somehow better.. I just disagree for the reasons i have stated. Its not trials its a twig off the branch of trials. And yeah im sure there will be more riders doing it and conpetitions on the same terms as trials etc. But bmx isnt dirt jump isnt downhill even though u do jumps in all of them. Brakeless is brilliant. Ni debate there. I cant say what its like as iv never done it as you say. But for ME an what I want. Brakes is better. for me.. AND what i want... :)

Brakeless comps? Who is current world champion in brakeless trials?

Why do you put public recognition(comps, rules, all official, tight cycling wear, blah blah blah) like something that matters? Don't you forget how usual people react on trials riders? So you react like them.

I don't need public recognition to do something, I don't care about trivia like this. The only one thing matters is that I like what I do.

So you would sell your brakes and buy some new pair of shoes if someone will organize brakeless comp? It shows that you are not independent if you do anything like the others because others do like that.

Edited by clerictgm

I tried to enter a comp brakeless once, but wasnt allowed in the end, i would have ridden blue route which as far as i can tell is still trials brakes or no brakes. If your sole aim is to be a competition champion then brakes are very handy, but competitions dont make up 100% of the trials spectrum.

• Like 1

I agree and no i wouldnt. Im not following this brakeless thing. My argument is that trials, as defined as a recognised official sport with championships, competitions etc is what trials is.. I dont say it makes it any less good, bt for trials, like comps etc u need brakes. As u say if there werw brakeless comps then it would be for brakeless riders.. Seperating them as they do wih other sports. A gt2 car isnt racig the gt1 on the same track... Thats a diffeent twig on the branch.. Its GT1 racing. Of the sport racing. In catagory motosport..

comparing brakeless etc is pointless.as.ohers have said. But im bored and fancy posting some more.

I tried to enter a comp brakeless once, but wasnt allowed in the end, i would have ridden blue route which as far as i can tell is still trials brakes or no brakes. If your sole aim is to be a competition champion then brakes are very handy, but competitions dont make up 100% of the trials spectrum.

Agree.

so for summing this page :

for competition riding people (must) use brakes, because the competition trial style needs it.

What Flipp do is awesome, but we can agree, it is not comp style.

The reason they might not do a brakeless competition, because there are a handful of riders who can ride like that.

and Spaghetti is the best with beans.

A gt2 car isnt racig the gt1 on the same track

have you ever seen a Le mans race?

( i get your point, sorry for that :/)

Edited by UKHippY

Yeh ur kicking a ball. Playin football is more than that though. U need a team, goals. Rules a reff. Pitch. And a team to.play.. Thats football.as defined. Not "kicking a ball around between 3 folk on a field." not saying brakeless isnt trials its just like Bike Sports» bike trials» brakeless bike trials.

Id like to se brakeless comps though. Awsome skill.

debate is kinda pointless because people ride with what they feel comfortable with

No it's not. 90+% of riders even not tried brakeless(getting brakes off for 1 day doesnt count, few months with learning at least something gives you right to say "yeah, I tried brakeless and I like more to ride with brakes").

Saying brakeless is dangerous is so stupid. First 3 months riding brakeless I have absolutely NO falls, the progress was slow, but my riding was brakeless and 99% safe.

Anyway I don't see something so BAD in falling off. Trials is extreme sports. It's not riding in park on citybike.

in that case i will whip my brakes off now..

you can try something once and not like it, you dont have to do it for ages.. anal is my first example ;)

and im honestly not wanting to go below the belt here.. but the debate requires it. we saw your first 2 months videos, and you were riding on a wall 2 foot high, then on some grass and a kerb. i can do that without brakes, but i wouldnt call myself a brakeless rider. just saying. dont take too much offence.

depends how much you like falling off? its not that bad and most time it doesnt hurt, but i wouldnt say i enjoy it, id prefer not to.. thus.... brakes ;) haha

• Like 1

in that case i will whip my brakes off now..

you can try something once and not like it, you dont have to do it for ages.. anal is my first example ;)

and im honestly not wanting to go below the belt here.. but the debate requires it. we saw your first 2 months videos, and you were riding on a wall 2 foot high, then on some grass and a kerb. i can do that without brakes, but i wouldnt call myself a brakeless rider. just saying. dont take too much offence.

depends how much you like falling off? its not that bad and most time it doesnt hurt, but i wouldnt say i enjoy it, id prefer not to.. thus.... brakes ;) haha

Now I'm riding stuff up to 11 feet height(scary, but I like to overcome fear). Still without brakes and no problem. Maybe I shoot some video if my mate that rides flatland will help me.

The more you fall the less chance to hurt yourself. Also some parkour expirience helps alot.

Edited by clerictgm

At the very start - mainly going off the title - I expected this thread to become a shit-storm.
I was pleasantly surprised by TF when several people actually offered insightful opinions and took note of other peoples'.
It took a massive dive on page three when one or two people began assiduously detailing how much they dislike brakeless riding (which is irrelevant to the topic) and a couple others got [perhaps overly] defensive.
It's kept declining ever since then, and it reached an all time low when people start claiming it's not trials (even more irrelevant).

For the record: if you don't want to classify brakeless as a part of trials, I personally couldn't care less. Call it what you want - it's a form of entertainment for which I don't feel labels matter all that much. I understand that some brakeless riders will object to being so heavy-handedly dismissed and excluded, and resent being rejected just because they enjoy riding a little differently, but I feel it just doesn't matter since I know it's only a few extremists that seem bothered - and typically they're people who's opinions I couldn't give much of a shit about if I tried.
I'd refer to it as a subsection of trials as the majority of the riding has more in common with trials than anything else, but if you don't want to, then don't.
I'm also fine with it if you don't want to even consider it a sport because there's no competitive aspect (aside friendly rivalry) for the same reasons as above. The fact is, people who are attracted to brakeless riding tend to be less inclined to subscribe to the competitive mindset, and seem to just want to ride in the way they find fun rather than riding in accordance to rules and being the best at it. (N.B. I'm in no way saying enjoying that type of riding is a bad thing - just that it usually is poles apart from the ethos of people who enjoy brakeless.)

To whoever it was that mentioned my missing tooth: almost. It's technically not missing ;) It's gone dark because it's dead, though that's because a delightful example of humanity considered smashing me in the face with a skateboard when I was younger a form of entertainment. It's not even a little bit related to riding brakeless.

Finally, thanks to the several people that have paid me compliment in here. Makes for a good feeling on a dreary Monday morning!

tl;dr - calm down, no-one cares

• Like 3

well said!

as a streety rider i wouldnt count as trials,too,the only thing i would have common with comp riders(wich are the only real trials riders in somes opinion?) would be that i am competing against myself and my limits,and i think thats what we all have in common.

and broken bike parts :dance:

Edited by FamilyBiker

To whoever it was that mentioned my missing tooth: almost. It's technically not missing ;) It's gone dark because it's dead, though that's because a delightful example of humanity considered smashing me in the face with a skateboard when I was younger a form of entertainment. It's not even a little bit related to riding brakeless.

ahhh there goes my side of the argument...

Yeh ur kicking a ball. Playin football is more than that though. U need a team, goals. Rules a reff. Pitch. And a team to.play.. Thats football.as defined. Not "kicking a ball around between 3 folk on a field." not saying brakeless isnt trials its just like Bike Sports» bike trials» brakeless bike trials.

...which is where trying to stick to arbitrary definitions of things falls apart. When I lived in London, my flatmates and I would go to a largely dis-used 5-a-side cage in the evenings and have a mess around. We were still playing football, but there wasn't "a ref", "a team to play", any strict "rules", a real "pitch" and so on. I guess it's similar to any sport in that sense though, in that there are probably many, many more people playing football to have fun in their free time (so not taking part in some league or whatever) than there are 'competitors', and in the UK there are a hell of a lot more people out there who ride trials who won't ever compete than there are comp riders. I don't mean this strictly in relation to brakeless riding, but the whole "trials is competitions" thing just makes no sense when you look at the realities of the world.

Related to that, relates to argument about brakeless trials n other sports that are somtimes not recognised or sneared at... Just somthing highly relevant IMO... "oh its just trials for people tht cant afford a bike"....

Cheers

Edited by UK_SPAWN

"oh its just trials for people tht cant afford a bike"

to be honest brakeless just looks like you couldnt afford any brakes

It's sort of weird you keep referencing people's decisions to do things based on whether they can "afford" things or not.

Why don't we respect one anothers preferences when it comes to trials? Don't get me wrong, I haven't been into trials for a long time, actually I just started getting into it. The vids I have seen of brakeless riders do seem to carry a style of their own, but they would still classify as trials.

Maybe not by UCI standard, but hey f**k it. At the end of the day we're all in this for the fun of it right, so why not let the rider decide what's fun for them? I don't see why there's such an uproar about brakeloss not being pure trials. It isn't pure trials, but it's trials nonetheless.

• Like 1