Shimano brakes

Petras

Hi, I wanted to ask you guys about shimano brakes. I heard that shimano saint m810 is amazing, but maybe there is other shimano brakes which is also very powerful and suitable for street trials. And what do you think about Shimano saint m820 brakes?

M810s are the best disc brakes for trials imo. They work amazing straight out the pack, however getting a hold of this version can be difficult and they are certainly a little heavier than most brakes. I've heard of quite a few people having bad experiences with the newer saint brakes and I disagree with bings statement about those brakes being 'just as good', but that is an each to their own moment i guess.

I've heard quite a few comments about m820's from trials riders, none of them good.

There's a reason everyone sticks with the old ones.

Deore/Slx aren't even in the same league as the M810! Those short stubby levers are the opposite of what trials riders are after.

Obviously I'd prefer an m810 if I had the money, but I bought an m596 as they were only £38 at the time, and I can say the performance of it is awesome. Perhaps not as outright powerful as a saint, but I used one on my limey 3 and now on my mod, and it's all the braking power I need. I like the saint m810 lever, but I like the short stubby lever as well, I'm one of the minority who hates long lever blades. Can't stand 4 finger maggie levers. I run an 04 with standard blade. If money was no object then it would be m810s or magura gustav m's if they can be found in good nick

It doesnt seem to have the same bite / hold power that the M810 has from my experience. I also saw some of the new design caliper (with the fins) having problems with cracking (not sure why this happened, but my calipers have lasted since the day I got them over two years ago (touch wood))

I also think that the fin design on the caliper is to allow more air to enter into the pad 'area' in order to dissipate heat better. Trials doesn't need heat dissipation in most cases. Also looking at the caliper there are four bolts holding it together on the older model compared to two, this might do something to compromise on strength.

2013-Shimano-Saint-ICE-Tech-brake-calipe

vs.

wpid-Saint_M810_caliper.jpg

In regards to the lever. It just doesn't pull as nice as the older style. Just my opinion that one though.

Cool, I see.

The fins are only on the pads so if you replace them they'll be gone. Just shove some Nukeproof DH pads in and the brake will be fin-less. They are for drawing air on to the Ice-Tech rotors which is obviously a helpful thing in DH.

See, I quite like the new lever feel as it matches my XTR's on my MTB, I just wanted to see if they were worse performance wise. The bolt holes is an interesting point, I wonder if the calliper is a different material?

I don't think that the 820 caliper is weaker than the 810. I think the performance differences have to do with the lever, which, for trials riders, is just too short. The older style lever is just longer and I really think that this makes the difference. I've heard riders complaining about the on/off performance of the 810s and with the 820s lever, this has been fixed.

For trials though, you need on/off more than the better modulation of the 820s.

Edited by niconj

I don't think that the 820 caliper is weaker than the 810. I think the performance differences have to do with the lever, which, for trials riders, is just too short. The older style lever is just longer and I really think that this makes the difference. I've heard riders complaining about the on/off performance of the 810s and with the 820s lever, this has been fixed.

For trials though, you need on/off more than the better modulation of the 820s.

I wouldn't neccesserily agree. I'm personally quite thankful (and benefit from) of the modulation of my discs and wouldn't want an on/off brake.

I was very impressed with the hold on my slx brakes on my 29er i can land to back on small gaps with great hold on 180 rotor. Using the new slx brakes. And i have a see on the front which i think may have better hold than my hope trialzones.

The Zee is definitely better than any hope break. I wouldn't recommend the SLX for trials though. The pads are moving to much in the caliper and it doesn't have enough power but then again, it's better than the BB7 and these are what many trials riders use.

My deore is the 2012 model, and it uses the same pads as the slx and xt/xtr, it has more than enough power for me. The only difference between slx and deore is you don't need a tool to adjust the lever reach on the slx. And maybe a few grams lighter. Other than that, they are the same brake.

I've heard riders complaining about the on/off performance of the 810s and with the 820s lever, this has been fixed.

I think that was just due to the servowave setup. Because it's not like a normal brake it can catch you out. When Ali first put his on he had a few over-the-bars moments because he'd want a touch more power but it wouldn't react in the way a normal brake would. Once you're used to it though you can modulate it, but you've also got really good outright power and a much nicer lever feel.

My main beef with the M820s was that the lever arc felt really weird. I think it's just due to the pivot being in a different place, but rather than staying under my finger it felt like the tip of the blade would move sideways more through the stroke compared to the M810.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...