Not new to bikes but its been a good 15years! a little help?

marshole82

Evening all!

My names Oli and I've not been into bikes properly since my early teens....so at least a decade.

I've recently been building up a 90s Kona for commuting and managed to obsessively shave 1.3kg off of its weight by only spending about £50.

So I've been bitten with the tricks and street bug (thanks Danny MacAskill) and quite fancy a little bike to learn on.

I'm 6'4" and 13.5st (86kg) so it needs to be pretty robust. I'd like a 24"/26" but I'm unsure as to the difference when riding?

Any recommendations on brands to look out for? I'd spend probably £150-£200 for starters. I'd prefer 2nd hand too if I'm honest, its only gonna get bent and trashed anyway eh?

Cheers,

Oli

£150-£200 is probably a bit low for something that is going to take a bit of a hammering. These will more than likely be suitable for a lad of your stature, no offense intended

Streety style 24

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1486996/

Comp style 26, few years old

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1495829/

This is a streety geo'd bike, but with little/no seat. Bit shorter than the bike above, and lower bb height

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1466161/

Like I say, if you can push to £300-£350, there is some decent secondhand tackle out there. Have a ganders at the forsale page on here as well, quite often a bargain will come up where someone is after a quick sale

Edited by bing

Man that does look good. I'm still at the feeler stage at the moment so looking for info on the normal setup guys my size to for.

That does look ideal though. Such a shame. Good luck selling though dude, and if there is any other big guys that ride specific stuff then give me a shout!

No worries chap, are you looking for a more trials orientated bike?

To be honest, I'm not really sure about the differences between the different bikes for different things. I'm pretty sure those little montys or on as with the 20s aren't for me, but that's purely based on looks!

Welcome dude where you based? :)

I'm in Northampton, I'm sure they'll be some kids about here somewhere lol

smileyvault-shy.gif

If you can find some local riders, see if you can tag along on a group ride and try a few bikes out :)

Not a bad idea, would have to get a bit more into the scene and see what's what eh? There's a skate park here but I'd feel like the kids' dad if I rocked up on the Kona haha Edited by marshole82

Don't think it's all youngsters on here, a lot of riders are late 20's early 30's!

To answer your question a bit more (now I'm not on my phone) different setups relate to different types of riding and frame geometry, we couldn't really offer advice on how to set a bike up unless you know what kind of riding you expect to be doing.

The best thing I would say is try to keep an eye out for any riders in your area either when you're out and about or by checking the member organised rides forum on here. Other than that have a good look through the video forum where there's loads of examples of all different types of riding on different size bikes which should help you to decide what it is you want to be doing when you get riding again.

Don’t take this the wrong way as it’s meant in the nicest way possible...

It doesn’t matter what "type of riding" you'll be doing. If you're a beginner, that echo is the bike for you.

First of all, it’s got a low Bottom Bracket (BB). Having a low BB will make the bike feel more stable when rolling on two wheels. It'll feel more like a normal bike compared to top end competition bike, which is what you need if you're just starting out.

It’s got low maintenance low cost (LMLC) brakes too. It won’t cost much to replace a set of V pads or a snapped brake cable.

One thing I’d watch out for though. In that pic the rear rim looks like it’s covered is shite. Give that a good wash and your braking performance will improve.

Danny MacAskill rides a 24" wheel sized bike. At over 6 foot, you may find those types of bikes a little small - not ideal if you're used to mountain bikes. Danny used to ride 26" echo's too!

Anyway, if I were you I wouldn’t hesitate on snapping that bad boy off Tom’s hands. It’s a trials classic, and anyone whos been riding trials long enough will tell you that.

• Like 2

Yeah it does look great, but as I said I'm after info before I part with any cash!

Can anyone explain why riding a 20/24/26 is different? Why having a low BB is better/worse?

Oh, and how do I get my posts approved so that I can use the messenger and post more than 3 posts a day? I responded to the email registration....

Edited by marshole82

That post approved thing has changed now, I think you're just limited to 3 posts a day until you've made 5 posts(?) after which you have normal access but I'll double check that. As for the 20 v 24 v 26 have a look at this video guide here http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/guides/product_guide_20_inch_vs_24_inch_vs_26_inch_wheels/m8.html

As for the bottom bracket thing it's a bit of a geometry minefield is trials, low bb makes 2 wheeled moves easier and more stable, high bb makes static rear wheel moves easier like sidehops but makes the bike unstable for general 2 wheel stuff like bunnyhops to rear and the like. Steeper headangles make front wheel moves like gaps and up to fronts easier though you lose out a bit on taps. Not 100% sure on chainstay length as I can never get my head around it though if they're really short you tend to loop out easier.

Short chainstays - easier to get into manuals/back wheel moves, bit more responsive on the back wheel too.

Long chainstays - harder to get into manuals etc but more stable when they're on the backwheel.

I'd advise against a high bb for a beginner, I found a higher bb to be very unnerving on the backwheel as a experienced rider so I wouldn't advise for a beginner.

That post approved thing has changed now, I think you're just limited to 3 posts a day until you've made 5 posts(?) after which you have normal access but I'll double check that. As for the 20 v 24 v 26 have a look at this video guide here http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/media/guides/product_guide_20_inch_vs_24_inch_vs_26_inch_wheels/m8.html

As for the bottom bracket thing it's a bit of a geometry minefield is trials, low bb makes 2 wheeled moves easier and more stable, high bb makes static rear wheel moves easier like sidehops but makes the bike unstable for general 2 wheel stuff like bunnyhops to rear and the like. Steeper headangles make front wheel moves like gaps and up to fronts easier though you lose out a bit on taps. Not 100% sure on chainstay length as I can never get my head around it though if they're really short you tend to loop out easier.

Alot of that didn't make sense lol gaps/up to fronts/taps/loop out? when i was last doing 'tricks' we had endos and back hops hahah

that guide was pretty simple. i like the 24 if i'm honest

Short chainstays - easier to get into manuals/back wheel moves, bit more responsive on the back wheel too.

Long chainstays - harder to get into manuals etc but more stable when they're on the backwheel.

I'd advise against a high bb for a beginner, I found a higher bb to be very unnerving on the backwheel as a experienced rider so I wouldn't advise for a beginner.

so i'd assume it's a rider preference thing then? if every bb height and chainstay length changes the feel of the ride then it's got to be what you're used to right? so if i started out on a 20 with a high bb and short stays then thats what i'd be learning on so its what i'm used to?

dont get me wrong, i'd look ridiculous on something like that, and i'd definately feel more at home on a more standard geometry, but i have a bike for that already....

Edited by marshole82

A gap is basically a backhop across a gap.

A tap is where you half pedal or bunnyhop up something and tap your front wheel on the object to help give a bit of lift.

Up to front is basically going up something via a half pedal/bunnyhop/backhop and landing front wheel first.

Looping out is just when the back wheel whips out from underneath you like when you're doing a wheelie or manual and you lean too far back.

Every granny and their mother will tell you the red Echo Pure is for you!

I dont know what else to say...BUY TOMS BIKE!! You'll find out everything you need to know when you watch Bi-king and Tricks and Stunts. Dont know what they are? Google it!

Edit: I wasnt harsh enough. If "thats what you've got already", learn on that! We all did! We didnt piss and moan about what would suit us best. We just rode what we had and dealt with it.

Edited by Ross McArthur

It is massively rider preferences. I can't stand high bbs and low front ends, but that's my riding style preferences. Tobias who I used to ride with liked mid-high bbs, it's all preference.

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to sell you my bike to much, but it is poifick for a beginner. It's mid flight geometry so it's not too alien to a beginner. If you swapped the frame out and different stem to suit a more trials specific setup, you'd still have a great SPEC'd bike for well under what it's worth.

Every granny and their mother will tell you the red Echo Pure is for you!

I dont know what else to say...BUY TOMS BIKE!! You'll find out everything you need to know when you watch Bi-king and Tricks and Stunts. Dont know what they are? Google it!

Edit: I wasnt harsh enough. If "thats what you've got already", learn on that! We all did! We didnt piss and moan about what would suit us best. We just rode what we had and dealt with it.

if I have misconstrued your message, and have the wrong end of the stick then i apologise; but to me, that reads pretty harsh. and to be honest, if you treat everyone who asks questions in that way then it's a wonder you have gotten on in life. having said that, IF i have gotten that wrong, and you are just messing about and being harsh in a jokey kind of way then fine, but i will exacerbate my previous statement a little.....i'm looking around, getting info, learning where to get stuff, where to find stuff, what is likely to be best for me etc. i don;t have £200 to spank on a bike right now, or to be honest with you i would have bought it already. i appreciate constructive help and criticism where neccessary, and i will definately look up those things you mention on google this evening. ta

It is massively rider preferences. I can't stand high bbs and low front ends, but that's my riding style preferences. Tobias who I used to ride with liked mid-high bbs, it's all preference.

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to sell you my bike to much, but it is poifick for a beginner. It's mid flight geometry so it's not too alien to a beginner. If you swapped the frame out and different stem to suit a more trials specific setup, you'd still have a great SPEC'd bike for well under what it's worth.

I know you arent peddling (har har) the hard sale Tom, and for what it's worth, i understand what people are saying - it looks great and would be the sort of thing i would think i'd end up with. i just dont want to impulse buy, and i don't have the cash anyway. i want to make sure this isn't a fleeting interest in something that would end up being a waste of money.

so yeah, info on everything and anything trials related would help me get a handle on what i want and need.

A gap is basically a backhop across a gap.

A tap is where you half pedal or bunnyhop up something and tap your front wheel on the object to help give a bit of lift.

Up to front is basically going up something via a half pedal/bunnyhop/backhop and landing front wheel first.

Looping out is just when the back wheel whips out from underneath you like when you're doing a wheelie or manual and you lean too far back.

ah you see, i actually know what all those things look like ha just didn't know the names.......Trials For Dummies on order...

Edited by marshole82