Is trials boring?

Greetings

Is trials boring?

I think the current comp format has become very stale. The courses are all pretty dull looking, and the riding required to win seems to have been locked in with a few techniques being standard for all obstacles. The bikes have become so far from something you could just nip to the shops on, it's totally unrelatable.

It also doesn't help when the world champ puts up videos like this

Which was the first video in my search. Not exactly inspiring! Couple that to to the Coust notts(?) vid, and it certainly looks like a backward step

On the street front things are more interesting, but the DM copy cats that are flooding "street trials" seem to miss the fact that the base of Danny's riding is an epic pure trials ability. And some of those videos are equally dull.

Personally my favourite moments in trials have come from people on 26" bikes riding over unexpected obstacles in a stylish way (or the other way around!). Parts of crux at the beach, akrigg on the barca blocks, lenosky, Martyn in chainspotting, Kenny at some of the old World Cup comps. Then you have trials kings, boon, Porter, Goddard, Phil Williams, tunni, cls, Ali C and a long list of others who have pushed things along in riding innovation and capturing occasional perfection on film. They all made trials look incredible. It still happens, but it's rarer it seems. The completely polarised bike choice doesn't help, but there needs to be a change to the top level comp scene before this will ever change.

Meh I don't know where I'm going with this and Jedi is on...

• Like 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_bike_trials

its says: "is a discipline of mountain biking in which the rider attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground."

achieving bigger obstacles are harder, more talented riders can achieve bigger obstacles. everybody wants to be better or even the best rider.

therefore people buy specific bikes to help them do so e.g. high bb and extreme light weight saving. also people will adjust and modify their bikes to be lighter and help the go 'bigger' e.g. low tyre pressures. very forward handlebars and going as far as drilling holes in rims, frames, cranks etc.

all this and hundreds or even thousands of pounds later they can go up a wall 1" higher. seem stupid yes? maybe not to some people but to everyone who is a non trials rider can agree... it appeals to people that trials riders who do this are sad and have a boring life. making trials look boring.

i like street trials more ...you can do whatever you want trials or street or maybe a combination of them .. also you can use your creativity to make new moves

and also i saw people doing cool stuff with MOD frames

sometimes it doesnt matter what your rdiing you canhave fun with everything ... you can do tricks on road bike , xc , trails or AM :D too

Pretty much what Mark said.

I personally (in the whole terms of things) think geo really doesn't make much difference in this discussion.

The thing is, as Mark said, there really isn't many doing anything that different.

Most riders currently all have the same outlook now. Buy long bike, do sidehops. Buy Inspired, do fjwhips and backflips.

There are however riders who do mix between the two. But they aren't pushing anything new. Gap here, spin here, and the end result is the same as the two previous incarnations with either no thought to style, links, execution etc.

I still hold Ryan Leech to be responsible for a lot of trials progression. He helped my riding a lot.

Martyn Ashton had a great section in Trial Noir. I've still seen nobody replicate a certain move he done in his section.

Akrigg has also been responsible for some progression due to his loose nature. Also bringing a couple of fresh tricks too.

The sport is still young however. I don't think the comp scene had really done anything at all for trials progression. Maybe helping develop slightly better pogo sticks. What i think is funny, the rules. Strategic dabs, watdufuq indeed. Get out of jail free card? The popularity of comps on here is an indication of it's staleness in the whole view of things.

TF is a funny place too. There are so many riders who tilt towards mtb street moreso than trials but TF is their/ our home. Is TF and Inspired the final string keeping us/ these riders connected with trials? Will we all eventually part ways?

I dunno, i think i'm just babbling. I've even forgot the initial question. Something abour trials being boring. Oh yes that's it.

It's really the community that is boring. With Facebook killing Member Organised Rides, the getting out and having fun with new people has gone. Different styles aren't mixing but people are all just watching the same video and replicating it. An example, years ago i would go to a new skatepark and find the locals sharing similar styles of their own, formed by their park and the local riders before them. These days, go to any park, see same kid trying same trick.

I do agree with Greetings though, trials does feel like it'd taken a step back.

Ben Rowlands had a great idea with getcreative. But unfortunately i think most people seemed to think it was about putting your tshirt on backwards, wearing your seat on your head while doing a fakie off some kryptonite rock from the planet kiwi. But there were some who just went out there and did what they wanted to do, alas the Aussie guy on Ashton won? Either way him, or someone like him definitely on an Ashton made a very enjoyable video.

Also, Tim Pratt is/ was great to watch.

The end.

Conclusion / TLDR

Riders suck. Trials does not.

[edit]

Late night typos. Also no digs be associated with this post

Edited by eskimo
  • Like 2

...the Aussie guy on Ashton won? Either way him, or someone like him definitely on an Ashton made a very enjoyable video.

Indeed - TTownJon:

It's really the community that is boring. With Facebook killing Member Organised Rides, the getting out and having fun with new people has gone. Different styles aren't mixing...

The Phoenix London thing was a pretty good example of how you can get different types of rider to meet up and ride the same spots together. Even with the limited turn-out there was a broad range of riders there, but had all the people who'd said they were going to go have gone, it would have encompassed a huge range of riders. I think that kind of thing could help promote that whole meeting new people/going to new places/taking on board different influences thing.

Martyn Ashton had a great section in Trial Noir. I've still seen nobody replicate a certain move he done in his section.

Dropout stall to rear? One of the coolest things ever? I was working on putting one of those in my first GC video but could only do it to two wheels on the back of a wooden bench, then ended up mashing the back rest a fair bit. GTFO of there when curtains started twitching. I try to base my style on Martyn’s. Ive been massively influenced by the Trial Noir DVD.

• Like 1

Rowan definitely gets me.

What do you guys think would make comps more appealing? I've always been a fan of speed trials because there's a lot going on and you're constantly switching your attention between one rider and the other. After watching a "race" I always find myself wanting more.

Perhaps easier sections, which can be completed with more flow are the way to go? This would force the more able riders to compete against the clock as they would not be getting points along the way. Having a pro complete an easy section can be equally boring as seeing him set up for a jump for ages, therefore more needs to be done in order to turn a trials section into a flowy experience, much like dirt or pump tracks which you can't pass quickly without getting a rhythm going.

think there's a decline in popularity of this sport everywhere. In my opinion, the chief reason for this is that trials is becoming boring. Why? Because since day one, most of us strive to jump as high as possible.

I don't think there is a decline in popularity.

But i have to say my judgment is biased as i'm french, i'll explain why.

Here people seems to be more intrested in comp riding than before.

I realised that looking at the following video : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22lt00_coupe-du-monde-de-vtt-trial-pra-loup-2014_sport#from=embediframe

In it you can hear the manager of the resort where the comp took place say that trial is in his opinion, the most "visual" and fun to watch discipline of the mountain bike. Especially because the heights of the obstacles make it very impressive.

I'm not at all in comp riding, but i must admit, on some competitions here in france there is a lot of spectators.

Anyways, yes trial is boring, aren't every sports ?

Don't you think surfing, skiing, downhill, base jump, racing cars, tennis, blabla.....aren't boring unless you are in it ?

And for sure for someone who is just passing by, trials is certainly not the most boring to watch.

Moreover, i don't see the point in opposing constantly the "different ways" of riding trials.

I mostly ride natural on my "pogo stick" bike, but i enjoy flipp riding, akrgig riding, Danny Mac riding or the Coustelleirs, Hermance and so going big.

When riders are good they are good !

In my opinion, as a rider when you get a bit bored, just change the spots you ride, the type of bike you ride or so.

And not matter which bike you ride, you can be creative and produce something interesting, but it requires some efforts.

And it is just a personal opinion, but what is the most boring in trials, is people constantly complaining about trials was better before : hans rey was so good, so fun,...Ryan Leech was so good, so fun,...blablabla...

Just take your bike, make it live again if you can, or be creative !

Dropout stall to rear? One of the coolest things ever? I was working on putting one of those in my first GC video but could only do it to two wheels on the back of a wooden bench, then ended up mashing the back rest a fair bit. GTFO of there when curtains started twitching. I try to base my style on Martyn’s. Ive been massively influenced by the Trial Noir DVD.

I spent ages learning those, got a couple of video somewhere. Went through 2 king hub shells in the process :P Fun move though, might try a few next time I am out.

• Like 1

Yeah that's it. Martyn has a good style, if sometimes a little sketchy with his spins, he has the typical trials rider, "i don't know what the f**k is going on with my momentum or what todo with it" style with spins. I didn't list it, to hopefully encourage some to watch it.

Rowan definitely gets me.

What do you guys think would make comps more appealing? I've always been a fan of speed trials because there's a lot going on and you're constantly switching your attention between one rider and the other. After watching a "race" I always find myself wanting more.

Perhaps easier sections, which can be completed with more flow are the way to go? This would force the more able riders to compete against the clock as they would not be getting points along the way. Having a pro complete an easy section can be equally boring as seeing him set up for a jump for ages, therefore more needs to be done in order to turn a trials section into a flowy experience, much like dirt or pump tracks which you can't pass quickly without getting a rhythm going.

I think it's commonly accepted that Rowan is on the list of TF legends.

If comps were more often man made obstacles, things like race were involved on the day, dabs were removed and i'm sure i could think of other things to (personally) improve attitude towards comps, then they could become a constant thing to attend. I like to do one once in a while with friends as they are though.

I spent ages learning those, got a couple of video somewhere. Went through 2 king hub shells in the process :P Fun move though, might try a few next time I am out.

Yea the only reason I was trying them was because my Marino frame had 360 dropous like the Leesons and the hub was non disc. I wouldnt have tried it on anything other than wood.

Last time I rode bristoI with Martyn he was trying to teach me. I just about managed one to two wheels. He was busting it out perfect every time with some variations too. Was one of those surreal moments you get by being star struck by a friend.

• Like 1