Professional welders, please come in

eskimo

And hello.

I was thinking about the welding "career", i use that term lightly. You can do courses in some forms, and job agencies have welding jobs available, which i imagen should be easiest to get out of all the welding jobs around. It appears welders get a fair wage, 18k onwards.

So lets ask TF for the bottom line on this.

I don't have an interest in welding really, i'm sure it could be fun, i have despised assembly work in the past btw, so can it relate to that at all? However i imagen welding requires you to be awake unlike assembly, but the similarity of similar tasks may be similar? It just seemed welding appears to be an easily accessible job which is a "real socially acknowledged skill". I have no intent in using this in relation to bikes, and i couldn't care about being able to borrow work's tools or do on the side projects. I just thought it might be an okay job.

What should i know about it as a job? Worth doing, tool costs, work environments, sustainable, need other education/ knowledge, etc etc.

Thanking alls.

i've done a fair bit of mig welding on cars, and i can say it definitely can be rewarding.

Especially when you get good, clean, consistant welds, you can look back on your work and see how good it is/improved.

Proper tig welding gives most mechanics the horn ;)

tig-welding-steel-welderseries-2.jpg

• Like 2

I would say go for it if you like hands on. All places i have worked have had a weld and fab department also. Depends what sort of welding your into. Alot of our work requires cladding for machining which seems a nice easy job watch a machine for hours or end or in the fabrication side would be quite cool making and welding parts together. A time served welder up my way would be on around 30-35k basic with anywhere upto 50-60k with overtime. So its a pretty decent paid job also. You have the opportunity to head offshore also. A welder at my company was offered a job in norway in a machine shop 3 weeks there 3 weeks home 55k a year all digs paid for ect. If you want to go away with the offshore sort of life plenty of oportunities there.

i've done a fair bit of mig welding on cars, and i can say it definitely can be rewarding.

Especially when you get good, clean, consistant welds, you can look back on your work and see how good it is/improved.

Proper tig welding gives most mechanics the horn ;)

tig-welding-steel-welderseries-2.jpg

I have a semi... Although the bead looks slightly concaved?

It all depends what sort of welding you envisage doing and where you want to work. Here down at Devonport the welders can earn a really good wage, a darn sight more than the 18k you mention. But it depends where you get trained up and what qualifications you hold. There is currently a massive shortage of skilled welders and we seem to be sub contracting a lot of labour in.

Are you looking to do an apprenticeship or get your qualifications at a college/training school?

Training/ college. Hence me not expecting much back from the job unless i got lucky with a company.

Then it'll be the case of putting the hours in when you get a Job at keep the qualifications up to date/ up training.

There's such a demand for skilled welders that you shouldn't have a problem. Are you looking to stay up around Bristol area? Might be worth seeing what jobs are around right now.

It does a bit, but its still a million times better than i can do with a mig :wink:

Haha fair enough, looks nice and even. Was just the slight concavity and maybe a tiny bit of undercut.

I only trained up to do MIG and old school gas so I can't comment as I found it fairly easy, been a while since i've used it though. I'd love to give TIG a go, just more of an art in my opinion.

Then it'll be the case of putting the hours in when you get a Job at keep the qualifications up to date/ up training.

There's such a demand for skilled welders that you shouldn't have a problem. Are you looking to stay up around Bristol area? Might be worth seeing what jobs are around right now.

I'm more than happy doing extra training and working hard as i've been keen on that for years but it's useless if you haven't the direction, which is my problem.

Is welding a simple direction? and from what people have said it may seem so.

I've searched welding stuff in Glos area and there's an abundance of work. And if people say there are a shortage then this can play to my favour.

But there is another question, how fun/ tolerable/ differential (lack of a better word) the work is/ can be. As i really don't like being stuck the same place a lot. Beggars can't be choosers i guess.

Are you looking to just weld or fabricate as well? I think the variation of work depends on the company, for example at our work it can change on a daily basis; one day it might be a 900mm diameter 40mm thick tube, the next it might be a box constructed from 2mm sheet.

Hi Nick, I have been a welder for 40 years and still not bored with it, it does depend what sort you do of course. Production welding is easy to learn but tends to be repetitive. If you get on site work you never know what you are going to get. Don't expect to fall into a skilled position straight away it won't happen. Every weld is slightly different maybe that is what is interesting it does require concentration whilst welding, if you are using arc then you have in your hand something hotter than the face of the sun (well not right in your hand obviously).Its a job I would recommend if you don't mind heat,hard work, and getting dirty. Give me a shout on Facebook if you want any help or advice.

I am a welding apprentice currently working for a company that make recovery equipment for the RNLI (tractors and trailers)

I have been the the TWI in Cambridge to do my mig codings ( vertical up ) which covers most joints/positions for mild steel mig welding. I enjoy the work at the minute but perhaps in the future I would like to become a welder working offshore earning big bucks.

How would you guys go about doing this ?

Ps sorry for the high jack feel free to ask any questions about qualifications/ courses

I think I'm probably going to mostly repeat what others have said but the more the merrier..right?

I'm not a welder, nor can I likely weld much better than you! I am a welding engineer which means I have to think about all of the problems associated with joining two pieces of metal and decide which is the best way to go about it.

Welding itself is a true skill and there is an entire spectrum of people out there working as "welders". I work in the power generation industry and along with other process industries (including oil and gas), there is a real need for highly skilled welders. Many of the best welders in the UK are well into their 50's and did an apprenticeship with a large fabrication company that gave them experience of the different processes, metals, equipment etc etc.. If you can get yourself an apprenticeship and stick with it then you will almost certainly have found a solid career choice, particularly if you're willing to travel around with one of the larger companies (like Doosan or Alstom). Becoming a MIG/MAG welder in a fabrication shop is a start and you're unlikely to be away from home too much but in most cases I expect it is far less "glamorous" (if that's the right word!)..

As others have said, it is hard work- don't doubt that. Days long, working environments noisy and working positions might be uncomfortable but if you do a consistently good job you can get anywhere.

To actually answer your questions-

- yes it is repetitive (particularly if you're starting out)

- yes you'll need to be awake (!)

- working environments as above

- it should be sustainable, particularly if you're willing to move around a bit (there is a shortage of good welders and it's getting shorter)

- there's always new joints, materials, processes to learn and there are more formal qualifications should you wish to pursue them so there's potential to progress there

Good luck!

Adam