Interesting chain question part 2

Herbertlemon102

My KMC chain has snapped for the third time since February- first time I was uninjured, second time I was doing a gap to front and it snapped as I kicked, causing me to fall on my face, third (and just now) I was dropping off a high ledge, and am now covered in cuts and multiple bruising from the fall, and then the bike landing on me. This KMC is the one that has 5 star ratings everywhere- have I just got a dodgy one? I bought it from tarty after reading reviews- my chain tension is sorted (as we know) and I can't find any reason why it would snap. It's oiled, cleaned and free of rust. Am I just unlucky?

I have a spare half meter set if links from the same chain, which I then take links from and replace into the chain that goes on the bike. I always replace at least 5 links in case the surrounding links were damaged from the snap.

And it's always a sheared link, the metal actually snapping, not a pin or something of that ilk

Edited by Herbertlemon102

What chain are you using aswell?

Check chain line

Check teeth on sprockets

Are you over tensioning?

What gearing are you using?

There can be a few contributing factors.

chai line is slightly out (very slightly) normal tension. Has been very tight in the past (due to an eccentric ffw) could be that

chai line is slightly out (very slightly) normal tension. Has been very tight in the past (due to an eccentric ffw) could be that

Nigh on all FFW and fixed cogs run slightly out of concentricity and as far as i'm aware it's the person that sets the tension that dictates how tight it is.... You set the tension too tight.

It's probably a combination of it being run too tight for a period of time, age of other components and maybe the chainline. But if it's only ever so slightly off that won't make a massive amount of difference. You say it's a 5 star rated chain, but what model of KMC chain is specifically?

Can't remember the last time i snapped a chain (jinxed myself now), for the sake of £10 every 4-6 months it's worth changing.