Car Sat Nav

eskimo

Garmin or Tomtom?

Leaning towards Garmin.

Features not required as just appear to increase cost substantially.

Choices of (say) 3 routes don't seem to be an option like Google. That would be nice.

Minor input welcome as it's not a major purchase.

Thanks in advance

To be honest both companies offer a pretty decent service these days so there's not too much to choose from in that respect. More about the ease of use/GUI etc I'd imagine so get your hands on a few sets and get a feel for them. Also consider updates etc - my folks picked up a nice new unit (THINK it was TT but would have to check to be sure) with free lifetime European updates. Tad gimicky but as it's something they'll use a lot, helped sway their decision. I'm sure there are apps out there that don't require a data connection though?

If not, could you add an unlimited data package for less than the cost of buying a mid-level GPS unit?

My smart phone is pretty dog shite to say the least. It's been dropped loads but it's £10 a month with 1 gig of internet which is just used for wasting time on/ reading forums. I'd like a new glamorous phone, but A. Money and B. i won't actually benefit from it. More hassle than it's worth.

If not, could you add an unlimited data package for less than the cost of buying a mid-level GPS unit?

I think it would work out more, standard contracts generally £20 a go now? Sat nav, £70.. But possibly, you could wiggle it either way i guess.

I downloaded an app on my phone the other day for £3.99 called maps.me it's a full sat nav system what you can use in offline mode so it doesn't use data :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps

That's cool, doubt my Ace 2 will handle it though. Need to restart it just to use Google maps.

Found a half decent Sat Nav on ebay from Argos. I figured Euro maps i'll use once in a blue moon, so i'd/ we'de just buy one for the occasion, no biggy. Traffic alerts, take the chance and you can reroute on the sat nav/ look at an actual map, plus work had one of them Tomtom Pro Mega XLs and it was never anything truly helpful in reality.

The Sat Nav is for work and it'll save draining battery on the phone, plus buying an actual decent phone.

Thanks for the replies, i guess i'm just awkward in my choices as per usual.

I downloaded an app on my phone the other day for £3.99 called maps.me it's a full sat nav system what you can use in offline mode so it doesn't use data :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps

I have this and the offline maps are great. Didn't realise it did directions and routes though??