What improvements to Magura style hydraulic rim brakes are needed?

Heatsink

Try not to tighten your lever body too tightly to your bar. This way, if your lever hits the ground it'll spin on the bar intead of taking the full brunt of the bash.

Always the way I ran them, yet still broke too often for my liking on falls that weren't overly bad

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks very much for such great suggestions on how to improve these brake systems! I've noted every comment down and the key features are really standing out. Should they be solved by good design I can see it would create a compelling product!

There's a bit of a decision over whether to base it on the 2004 Magura (axial) or the 2005 (radial) arrangement. I can see that everyone loves being able to customise their brake for their preferred number of fingers and shape for comfort. Compatability with a wide range of after-market levers is very appealing by making another '05 clone, but would limit the design to be able to stand out from the crowd and make real improvements. Careful consideration is required!

One thing is for sure, the 2004 remains the brake lever to beat so it's a good thing that I'm using one on a daily basis!

post-201-0-16458900-1435313357_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has broken or unused brake lever bodies, levers, slaves which they would be happy to donate for me to examine and help with the designing process? If so, please pop me a PM to arrange. This would be much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Steve

Split clamps would be ideal, they should be standard.

Also I personally don't like setting them up. I doubt it is possible, but if the slave and the brake clamp were just one piece that would be amazing. Or have something other than a clamping mechanism to hold the slave. Maybe on the modern setups there is less variation between the brake and angles and distances from the rim ?

• Like 1

I can see that everyone loves being able to customise their brake for their preferred number of fingers and shape for comfort.

People tend to just go for the similar style/length/geo of lever now though, so I don't think that's as big a deal. Plus looking at it another way, how often do you see people with - for example - Saints want to bolt a different lever blade on? If you make a good product that feels good straight out of the box, people don't need to put a 'better' blade on. By going your own route you can make a better product too, rather than essentially putting out the same product that's already out there (if you're working to the same constraints as the existing '05-style brakes you're just going to end up competing with Magura, Racing Line, Freno, Clean, etc., which seems like a fairly saturated market already).

• Like 2

04 ***

What kind of imbecile censored "for the win"?

Anyway: New 04 lever blade, then the rest of the lever. It shouldn't bend so that it starts leaking, its seals should last, it should have rather minimal flex (although most of it happens at the frame and fork mounts), the clamp should be split with a hook and eye mechanism, smooth and rounded not to hurt the rider's knees.

• Like 1

but if the slave and the brake clamp were just one piece that would be amazing. Or have something other than a clamping mechanism to hold the slave. Maybe on the modern setups there is less variation between the brake and angles and distances from the rim ?

CSC already had a go a that, Have no idea how successful it was, I just know of their existence. Rim distance was controlled by rotating a threaded slave and clamp from memory...

EDIT: found some photos here

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 2

The CSC system had some interesting ideas, and I've found this original discussion on TF from 2011 which shows some of the areas where many weren't convinced! http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/170511-csc-rim-brakes/page-4

It seems to be available to buy here: http://www.trial-bikes.com/freno-hidraulico-p-536662.html

Food for thought indeed!

post-201-0-16698800-1435679845_thumb.jpg

1) Flippable, 2 bolt leaver blade (2011+ magura, Racing line)

2) 4 bolt clamps and slaves that don't move and are easy to adjust. Best clamp + slave combo i have used is Echo TR slaves + TNN clamps. Big advantage is the smooth clamping area of the slave on Echos (as well as Racing line):

large_echo2014sl05.jpg

In my opinion, don't go crazy with weight, in the case of braking performance the weight is not so important (i mean, i would take a break that weighs 100g more then a bad brake that is light weight).

Good luck, hope to see some amazing products!

• Like 2