Ali C in Cardiff

Mark W

Because sponsorship

Seems like truth. Also Danny ride maguras too now.

brakes I trust with my life.

Same you said about saints :giggle: but without alternative. Maybe you right, but maguras are really funny brakes. Most(?) expensive serial brake ever and not reliable enough for trials (weak levers).

I remember days when you were trusting your life to BB7s, kek.

Brakes, brakes, brakes. I know only one thing, I still can't find a brake I'll trust my life to.

Edited by darkness

M810's not being available any more.

A would rather say it's "hard to find" than not available.

I don't get one thing, is it really no other brake that is close to saints/mt7? If Ali is running 180 rotors then there is must be some extra power margin.

What I've tried:

New BB7 - total crap. (maybe old ones are good)

Old BB5 - pretty good brake.

Avid Juicy 3 - just doesn't brake.

Echo TR - maybe can be used on mod.

Hope mono mini - obvious, it's so XC...

Hope M4 - Better than brakes I mentioned before, but I can't even go over bars by pulling my front brake with 1 finger.

Hope V4 rear - better than anything from what I've tried ever, but still I cant trust this brake my life even with 203 rotor (hopo mono6 saw). It may slip at huge gaps to rear.

So I have no idea what to buy. Maybe M820? Maguras are far too expensive.

Edited by darkness

Cleric

Yeah, that was my first assumption. Many similar traits. The listing of brakes is a give-away too...

A would rather say it's "hard to find" than not available.

They're getting progressively harder to find. In the UK now it's pretty much impossible to buy a pair from somewhere. Shops can't buy them new from distros (as far as I know?), so you're only likely to be able to buy them second hand from somewhere. Either way, Shimano don't make them any more so however bad the problem is now it's only ever going to get worse.

The video was good, obviously...

The video was great, one of the best (imo just the best) vid I've ever seen.

I can spend $500 on MT7 but Ali already ruined a lever so fast, that's make me doubt about getting them. No doubt they're good in terms of braking, they handle Ali's riding.

Also there are:

Hayes Ace and Formulas but there is almost no info about using them in trials, but they must be at least not bad brakes.

Also guys, what do you think about Hope levers? TECH 2 EVO or TECH 3 with trialzone caliper or just buy trialzone as it is(with trialzone levers, that is very similar to race levers).

Edited by darkness

Personally wouldn't trust a Magura lever for 5 mins. after breaking 3 lever blades in less than 1 year, and that was back when my riding level wasn't that huge, plus i don't yank in levers hard. Whereas the Hope tech 3 levers that are getting close to 2 years old haven't had ANY problems whatsoever.

If the new Magura trial disc brakes are designed to be anywhere near as similar to their current 2014 or above levers, I wont consider them even the slightest.

However, lets get back on topic shall we? That video is insane!

Edited by JJ Leigh

I've had these brakes since February and that lever is the only thing that's gone wrong, what you've seen is just the end result, you haven't seen the crashes and punishment they've taken (I tried a backflip but ended up sending the bike over 10ft in the air and it landed directly on the lever, I'm amazed there wasn't more damage!)

I've had these brakes since February and that lever is the only thing that's gone wrong, what you've seen is just the end result, you haven't seen the crashes and punishment they've taken (I tried a backflip but ended up sending the bike over 10ft in the air and it landed directly on the lever, I'm amazed there wasn't more damage!)

ahhh, that would explain it then (Y) Even still, I'm not 100% on Maguras yet due to the ones I've broken in such a short space of time....

22-16

What do you do about chain tensioners etc.? I tried 22/16 the other day on the Arcade and had to run without the tensioners to get the chain on and so lost the ability to set the wheel position properly...

Edit: Oh yeah, awesome video as usual- so natural and smooth riding. Pleasure to watch. Excellent work from Mr Westlake as well of course.

What do you do about chain tensioners etc.? I tried 22/16 the other day on the Arcade and had to run without the tensioners to get the chain on and so lost the ability to set the wheel position properly...

Pretty sure that the new Arcade has dropouts that allow 22/16 to be used by putting longer bolts in the tensioners :)

Pretty sure that the new Arcade has dropouts that allow 22/16 to be used by putting longer bolts in the tensioners :)

They do indeed, yeah - on the newer model when you've got a brand new chain and run 22:16 they're slammed (with enough room for tugs) in the front of the dropout. On the older model I think you either have to run them without tugs until you've stretched your chain a little, or remove a tiny bit of material from the dropout to allow some room for the 'guide' (for want of a better word) that sits within the gap in the dropout by the axle bolt to fit.

Indeed. It was similar to this, but slightly more dramatic. I wasn't going to show this photo/the clips of Ali trying this because he's blatantly got the finished product but just didn't get it (to floor - got it to matts repeatedly) in time for this video, but to put LeverGate into some context:

qWKp9vc.jpg

The bike landed pretty much directly on the lever blade from a later attempt which was what ultimately killed it.

• Like 6

Got out of it fine. Landed onto his feet and rolled out of it, then had enough time to spring out of the way of his bike as it speared into the ground. His bike went so high that I had time to shoot that photo, move the camera down and look up at it, look down at Ali, watch Ali move out the way then look back at his bike as it impacted. That was like day 2 or something like that - I thought it was going to be game over, but the only damage on that particular one was that his stem slipped round on the steerer.