Calluses

Richie612

Hello guys I've got terrible calluses on both hands since starting trials. I'm sure a few of you guys have had the same issue too.

What did you do to solve this?

Are foam grips a better option?

I currently use the standard grips which came on my Fourplay which are the Lizard Skinz.

Rich 

20210416_192003.jpg

Quarter a sheet of medium/fine  grit paper, wrap it around a pencil, and sand the excess down. Wear gloves when the callouses are worst.

I always get them worse on my left hand too, the right hand they don't seem to get too bad, I'm right handed.

Edited by marg26

37 minutes ago, marg26 said:

I always get them worse on my left hand too, the right hand they don't seem to get too bad, I'm right handed.

Me too, figure I'm squeezing the rear brake a lot harder because I'm not cool enough to do up to fronts accurately :P 

I always go for gloves that have just a little padding along the callus zone. Foam grips were good too but my hands are just too sweaty to not be wrapped up.

1 hour ago, marg26 said:

Quarter a sheet of medium/fine  grit paper, wrap it around a pencil, and sand the excess down. Wear gloves when the callouses are worst.

They're the same on both hands and I'm right handed. 

1 hour ago, isitafox said:

Foam grips are amazing, otherwise I'd recommend a corn razor (can get from chemists) and pumice stone. 

My hands are constantly sore and getting hammered from pullup bars and that's what I use. 

Think I'll try the foam grips, they can't be as harsh as the grips I'm using at the moment. 

1 hour ago, bikeperson45 said:

Me too, figure I'm squeezing the rear brake a lot harder because I'm not cool enough to do up to fronts accurately :P 

I always go for gloves that have just a little padding along the callus zone. Foam grips were good too but my hands are just too sweaty to not be wrapped up.

Both palms are the same :( and I always wear gloves. They're quite thin 661 ones as I prefer thin gloves because you can feel more. 

11 hours ago, La Bourde said:

My best advice: ride even more and don't stop riding!

Don't use to aggressive grips (pattern too present).

Also wash your gloves as much as possible, so that dust,sand is removed from the glove surface. 

Oh I'll keep riding, no problem there mate. I'm sure they will settle down at some point. 

My gloves are always kept clean and they very rarely get dirty just a bit sweaty.

Maybe it's my practice routine of up to front and  back that's doing it.

Either way I'm going to invest in some softer foam grips.

Rich 

+1 for the pumice stone, of course, you have to actually use it though! Get one of the ones that's round-ish, not the rectangular ones. Use it at the end of your shower/bath when your hands are nice and warm and use it with the hot/warm water running over your hands and the stone. Keep the whole process warm and wet. Get in the habit of using it and you'll be much happier.

I use foam grips and gloves, but there's no real magic bullet there. With summer approaching, you'll be doing more hot and humid rides and that's how your skin will react regardless. It's more important to have good bar feel than minimize calluses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swoofty said:

+1 for the pumice stone, of course, you have to actually use it though! Get one of the ones that's round-ish, not the rectangular ones. Use it at the end of your shower/bath when your hands are nice and warm and use it with the hot/warm water running over your hands and the stone. Keep the whole process warm and wet. Get in the habit of using it and you'll be much happier.

I use foam grips and gloves, but there's no real magic bullet there. With summer approaching, you'll be doing more hot and humid rides and that's how your skin will react regardless. It's more important to have good bar feel than minimize calluses. 

So essentially you're saying I need to go to the chemist and ask for some man-up pills :D. Should have just said that to begin with haha. 

I'm old enough not to be offended by what people really mean :lol:.