Bmx Questions

BONGO

Does a left side drive bmx feel weird compared to a right side. Or can you not tell the difference.

Just i don't want to get one if it doesn't feel comfortable.

Oh and because i'm right foot forward, will that make any difference?

Cheers, joe

Nope! Untill you look below.

Cyclone link or Pijin link. Plus the several others.

Odyssey cranks won't break on you. They flex alot but thats so they don't snap. I don't like the look of them but with a life time warranty against bending or breaking for 140 notes.

We The People cranks are one of my favourites. (Y)

Ring Cyclone up and see what they say. They are good people. They might suggest Primo Powerbites but i'm not a fan of those to be honest.

Hope that helps.

P.s im running KHE Hiddenburgs with a 19mm mid bb.

Edited by eskimo

My Hollowbites are doing pretty well :)

However, for a Euro BB you'd probably be best off going for some Royals. 19mm spindle so you can get larger bearings in there, and they're good, strong cranks anyway. Not especially heavy either. Think places are doing them for about £89.99 or so too.

i'd recommend you don't buy light ones unless you like buying replacement cranks

I'm a big fan of my powerbites. They aren't exactly light but there's no way on earth you're breaking them. A major plus point is that they don't have the sticky out ankle destroying bolts like tubular cromo ones do. £90 at winstanleys

on the 22mm spindle in a euro BB thing - I've not had any problems so far, it's been a few months and a fair bit of smacking of crank arms on stuff and there's no sign of bearing damage yet.

Edited by poopipe

Cyclone link or Pijin link. Plus the several others.

Odyssey cranks won't break on you. They flex alot but thats so they don't snap. I don't like the look of them but with a life time warranty against bending or breaking for 140 notes.

We The People cranks are one of my favourites. (Y)

Ring Cyclone up and see what they say. They are good people. They might suggest Primo Powerbites but i'm not a fan of those to be honest.

Hope that helps.

P.s im running KHE Hiddenburgs with a 19mm mid bb.

cheers mate thats really helpful (Y) i really wanted the hindenburgs but cant find them instock anywhere! i might go for the wethepeoples i think i do like the look of them so might be cool, cheers

Light can be anything, really. Most BMXs that people put any money into are under 30lbs. Mine's about 25lbs, I think, so it's hardly any more than my trials bike.

Most BMX cranks can usually take their shit. Profile cranks seem to develop a wobble after some use, but that's about the only one. Going back to Poopipe's "No ankle destroying bits" - I never had trouble like that on my WTP Pros, but I've been maimed repeatedly by my Hollowbite's big clumpy end. Still great cranks though ;)

With brake fittings under the seat stay (think it's called) like John Shrewsbury has on his leeson, can you fit v brakes on them.

Also how easy is it to change a bmx with a gyro to a back brake only with no hole going down the headset, so it's like a normal bike. Do i just need a new headset?

No deal with the V-brakes unless you remove the U-brake lugs and weld on some V's. If you get a good chrome rim and a decent U-brake and pads, you won't need a V.

I have no idea why you're asking about the relation between your headset and your ability to run a single cable, but rest assured, they have nothing in common. If you're running a single cable it just goes around like a Magura hose or whatever would.

I have no idea why you're asking about the relation between your headset and your ability to run a single cable, but rest assured, they have nothing in common. If you're running a single cable it just goes around like a Magura hose or whatever would.

But on my last bmx, when i took out the front brake it left a hole where the cable goes down to the front brake. What i want to know is can i fit a normal headset onto a bmx so i don't have this hole.

Cheers anyway.

chains?

my super hard gusset chain has to be replaced as i've determined that it's slowly eating it's way into my seatstay on account of it being too fat (just paint damage so far - which is good)

soo, which chain?

bear in mind that I grind on it a lot and land on my sprocket all the time - I ground right through a kool chain which is why i got the gusset one in the first place so im not entirely sold on those.

Im rich so I dont care what it costs, I dont give the slightest toss about weight and I don't run silly small cogs

Edited by poopipe

What frame and gear ratio are you running?

I guess you can't run a fat chain. Depending on your frame you could higher or lower the gear to suit enough clearance for a bigger chain.

I've seen some kmc ones vary in alot of sizes. Might have some luck there.

As for you grinding your chain away and it not snapping i guess you've been lucky.

You could try a macneil bash might give you some help. Or maybe change your technique. Try using the pedal instead of the sprocket. Have the rear pedal low and the front pedal high so you have clearance and the chain then can breeth.

I'm running 39-14 on a federal division (euro) which I'm happy enough with - I've considered lowering the gearing but thats £50 down the shitter for the sprocket alone plus another £30 for a cassette driver (or between 3 and 8 new chains the way I see it).

I'm running lefthand drive and grind on the right - the sprocket gets ground on cos I like doing hugely kinked feebles which inevitably turn into sort of sideways sprocket grinds - I know I'm asking for it by doing that sort of thing but it's great fun.

Any normal sized chain should be fine cos we're only talking a gnats pube's worth of rubbing on the seatstay I just cant run the gusset one cos the side plates are twice as thick as a normal chain (hence the not snapping - kmc didn't last long at all).

In essence I just want a chain that'll take a fair amount of shit . after checking billys website I've basically got a choice of the collapse, shadow interlock or the 4jeri interlock copy.

anybody had experience with any of them - the half link jobbies are tempting cos of the adjustability but I'm worried they might be weak as piss

edit::

aaah , sod it - i bought a shadow one anyway cos they look fancy and come with a free tin

Edited by poopipe